Posted to alt.home.repair

Default barn paint

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/10 2:21 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules

It will impart the smell of fresh manure to your garage and the vehicles
you store therein...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

I'd guess it's because it really only made for the vertical siding of
the barn, horizontal catches and holds much much more water so anything
horizontal should have "real" paint. Just my guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:21:36 -0400, Tony wrote:
There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

I'd guess it's because it really only made for the vertical siding of
the barn, horizontal catches and holds much much more water so anything
horizontal should have "real" paint. Just my guess.

Hmm, all the barns in this area seem to be horizontal rather than
vertical, just like other buildings (typically).

Having done a bit of wall with it in the last couple of hours, it's
drying with no gloss to it at all, and it looks like it'll need a second
coat (but that might just be due to my putting it on siding that's well
overdue for replacement).

Lack of any kind of shine's not a problem given the nature of what I'm
painting, but I don't think that's the reason for the low cost - I can't
imagine a little bit of gloss inflates paint price by 500% ;-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2010 4:40 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]

The retail price of paint varies wildly. It's sort of like mattresses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default barn paint ga

On 6/29/2010 1:21 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules

must be one hellofa garage if you're gonna need 15 gallons of paint for it.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

"bought"?! For the outbuildings I used the recycled stuff the county
gives away. On a couple of those buildings the paint is the only
thing holding them up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:21:02 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules

There is a catch. Once you paint a garage with barn paint, you CAN
NOT park a car in it. You'll have to buy a horse and buggy. Any
attempt to park a car inside will result in all 4 tires going flat
(just like the paint, which is why the paint is flat).
However, if you're Amish, you CAN park a car inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 05:27:11 -0500, alwaysontime wrote:
There is a catch. Once you paint a garage with barn paint, you CAN NOT
park a car in it. You'll have to buy a horse and buggy. Any attempt to
park a car inside will result in all 4 tires going flat (just like the
paint, which is why the paint is flat). However, if you're Amish, you
CAN park a car inside.

Thankfully I wasn't drinking anything when I read that :-) Oddly enough
we park the car outside and the garage seems forever full of kids stuff.
There is a '60s truck in there with tires that have no tread left on
them, but they're not flat yet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

"bought"?! For the outbuildings I used the recycled stuff the county
gives away.

Hmm, not heard of that before - I'll have to ask and see if they do that
around here.

On a couple of those buildings the paint is the only thing
holding them up.

You've seen our garage, then ;-) Not sure how old it is, but it has four
layers of shingles on the roof, so it's definitely been around a while.
The previous owners of our place weren't exactly big on preventive
maintenance, but if I can keep the garage alive for another couple of
years I'll be happy.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 6/29/2010 1:21 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules

I used to buy CIL piant by the 5 gal pail. The paint store ( not box
store) simply called it industrial paint. They would mix in any color
you wanted. It was cheap and of good quality. It was a no frills
product. Only available in 5 gal pails in paint stores, not advertised
with minimal distribution costs. Those savings were passed on to the
consumer.

You believe Behr is a good quality paint. Is that from experience or
marketing? Getting people like you to believe Behr is a good product
isn't cheap.

Behr don't care because you are paying for your own brainwashing when
you buy their product. You also pay for the small cans and all the
distribution costs associated with them.

I have no Idea what sort of quality Behr products are and don't
particularly care. I do regularly see products advertised that I know
are virtually useless but they are advertised and people buy them.

There is a catch. Marketing people are driving around in BMW's that
you paid for.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 05:27:11 -0500, alwaysontime wrote:

There is a catch. Once you paint a garage with barn paint, you CAN NOT
park a car in it. You'll have to buy a horse and buggy. Any attempt to
park a car inside will result in all 4 tires going flat (just like the
paint, which is why the paint is flat). However, if you're Amish, you
CAN park a car inside.

Thankfully I wasn't drinking anything when I read that :-) Oddly enough
we park the car outside and the garage seems forever full of kids stuff.
There is a '60s truck in there with tires that have no tread left on
them, but they're not flat yet...

-

I had a friend and mentor who was production manager for a very very
large international paint company. They would make 10,000 gallon batches
of white paint. Some of it packed and sold in 5 gal pails for bulk
contractor sales. Some sold in quart cans for high price marine paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:11*am, LdB wrote:
[...]

Behr has usually gotten good Consumer Reports ratings
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:11:14 -0500, LdB wrote:
You believe Behr is a good quality paint. Is that from experience or
marketing? Getting people like you to believe Behr is a good product
isn't cheap.

It applies well and seems to weather OK - beyond that I have no idea if
it's worse or better than Behr's competitors. However, $35 for a gallon
of Behr white exterior top-coat and $60 for 5 gallons of Behr white
exterior barn paint makes me think that there's some downside (in Behr's
eyes) to using the barn paint. It's entirely possible that what Behr see
as the drawback in using the barn paint (and which makes them sell it
cheaply) isn't relevant to me.

Behr don't care because you are paying for your own brainwashing when
you buy their product. You also pay for the small cans and all the
distribution costs associated with them.

Well, I bought 5 gallons of exterior top-coat for the house a couple of
years ago - that wasn't Behr, but someone else's product (I don't even
remember who). That wasn't particularly cheap, either (memory is saying
around $120).

Looking online quickly, other exterior top-coats, whether sold by the
gallon or 5 gallons, also seem to be "up there" in price (between $20 and
$50 per gallon) - I think there has to be something that separates "barn
paint" from other exterior paints and makes it cheaper.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jules Richardson wrote:

... $35 for a gallon
of Behr white exterior top-coat and $60 for 5 gallons of Behr white
exterior barn paint makes me think that there's some downside (in Behr's
eyes) to using the barn paint. It's entirely possible that what Behr see
as the drawback in using the barn paint (and which makes them sell it
cheaply) isn't relevant to me.

It (the barn paint) doesn't have any longevity warranty (ergo, warranty
cost to recover) for one thing; all it says is any batch you get was
manufactured to the specifications for it and they'll replace it if it
wasn't.

At one time Behr had product specifications including paint pigment
quantities/unit volume, type of pigment, flatteners, etc., etc., for
their products on the web site; I see the site has since been redesigned
and don't see that level of detail any longer.

In general, higher priced paints have higher-priced ingredients (and/or
more of them). There was an article on the composition of paints and
the various ingredients used in various grades in an issue of Fine
Homebuilding some months ago -- I'd guess within the year but might be a
little farther back; seems like that happens in my recollection a lot
any more ). Whether it's viewable w/o subscription online at the
Taunton site I have no idea and I don't have it at hand and am too lazy
to get up and try to find it but the overall result is that
higher-prices correlate to stuff in the paints that isn't in the lesser.
Most has to do w/ ingredients that have to do w/ longevity and
coverage and the type of surface finish in a detailed way not just a
casual manner. The amount of gloss in a finish is a big contributor to
cost, btw. (OBTW, the article did point out that the "designer" paints
have a higher cost structure owing to the nature of the target market
that isn't all tied to the paint in the can but that isn't the case w/
the basic paint products of the mainline manufacturers altho there
clearly is a difference in cost structure between the professional
retail/homeowner distribution market and the BORG model among other
differences from one manufacturer to another).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:17:15 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

[...]

I painted my shed 3 years ago with barn paint and so far its holding
up quite well. It was considerably cheaper than "regular" paint.

I think one thing that makes it cheaper is that barn paint has to be
non toxic to animals if ingested, so the ingredient list was pretty
short.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
OK, so what's the downside of barn paint? Does it not last as long as
"better" exterior paints - or is it just cheaper because it's only
available in a very small range of colors?

I bought 5 gallons of white self-priming yesterday, figuring I'd do our
garage with it (which I'm hoping to tear down in a couple of years and
rebuild anyway) - cost me $60, and would have been around $300 for
equivalent "good" Behr* top-coat and primer.

There's gotta be a catch somewhere :-)

cheers

Jules

From what I read here in all the posts, I'm thinking of buying barn
paint for the inside of my garage. Or do I get the cheap builders
paint? If the price is close, maybe the barn paint is better?

That reminds me, I left it go for months now, but it didn't finish
spackling by itself. Ugh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to alwaysontime, Gutter wrote:
WTH are you talking about

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-450104-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 18:44:01 +0000, Gutter
wrote:

WTH are you talking about

I asking you the same thing. What are you talking about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 18:44:01 +0000, Gutter wrote:

replying to alwaysontime, Gutter wrote:
WTH are you talking about

posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-450104-.htm

His barn paint dried up in the *SIX YEARS* since he wrote what YOU replied
to.

Why can't you homeownershub people read dates?

Re-roofing a barn Jules[_2_] Home Repair 17 September 8th 09 07:19 PM
BIG BARN lance Home Repair 2 October 19th 07 02:18 AM
BIG BARN lance Home Repair 4 October 19th 07 02:18 AM
Barn and Fence paint, Behr [email protected] Home Repair 8 September 19th 06 10:22 PM
BUG BARN J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 01:42 AM