Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Barn and Fence paint, Behr

I know this is stupid--but tell me why it wouldn't work.
Why not paint crappy interior paneling in a low rent apartment (I am
the owner) with $9/gal white Behr Barn and Fence paint? It covers
well, is non-toxic, an oil base (linseed?) with latex. I've primed
with Zinsser oil base primer. The room is on North side of the
building--one window. Fading shouldn't be a problem. I would want to
tint it with a small amout of tint. Would I live to regret this?
RowdyRuby

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I know this is stupid--but tell me why it wouldn't work.
Why not paint crappy interior paneling in a low rent apartment (I am
the owner) with $9/gal white Behr Barn and Fence paint? It covers
well, is non-toxic, an oil base (linseed?) with latex. I've primed
with Zinsser oil base primer. The room is on North side of the
building--one window. Fading shouldn't be a problem. I would want to
tint it with a small amout of tint. Would I live to regret this?

I have used that cheap "barn" paint. Mine did not cover well and I
would be surprise if yours does. I used mine on an outdoor project
and had to use several coats to get any kind of finish. My personal
advise is to avoid cheap paint unless it is project you never expect
to repaint. It can be double or triple the work to apply a cheap paint
esp when you consider how long it lasts.

As to: will you live to regret it? answer: I think so. Painting is a
lot of work especially if you want to do a good job. It make
absolutely no sense whatsoever to buy cheap paint when you consider how
much energy it takes to prepare and apply. It makes even less sense
when you consider how long the finish can be expected to last. My
advice it to buy a better line of paint. It will be less work to
apply it. The finish will be better. Most importantly: it will
last longer meaning you won't have to paint again nearly as soon.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
I know this is stupid--but tell me why it wouldn't work.
Why not paint crappy interior paneling in a low rent apartment (I am
the owner) with $9/gal white Behr Barn and Fence paint? It covers
well, is non-toxic, an oil base (linseed?) with latex. I've primed
with Zinsser oil base primer. The room is on North side of the
building--one window. Fading shouldn't be a problem. I would want to
tint it with a small amout of tint. Would I live to regret this?
RowdyRuby

Many but not all exterior paints are formulated to "chalk" i.e. they
are intentionally made so that the surface will gradually wear off.
This is done so that outdoor painted surfaces don't need frequent
cleaning. You wouldn't want to get up on a ladder & scrub the walls
very often, would you? If you've ever put your hand against an outdoor
painted surface, or leaned against one with your clothes, and have
seen the powdery coloring transfer from the surface, you have seen
this effect in action. Don't know about the Behr paint you mentioned,
but chalking would not be a good thing for indoor use. besides, if you
just want the cheapest paint available, there are some that are even
less than $9/gal. Whether "cheap" is the same as "cost effective" is
another argument that I'm sure others will address.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair

Its either oil base or Latex , not both. Either way its cheap but should
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
[...]

I used the oil Barn & Fence paint from Lowes on a very large shed with
painted (long ago) plywood. Covered great considering how dry it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is stupid--but tell me why it wouldn't work.
Why not paint crappy interior paneling in a low rent apartment (I am
the owner) with $9/gal white Behr Barn and Fence paint? It covers
well, is non-toxic, an oil base (linseed?) with latex. I've primed
with Zinsser oil base primer. The room is on North side of the
building--one window. Fading shouldn't be a problem. I would want to
tint it with a small amout of tint. Would I live to regret this?
RowdyRuby

Don't buy Behr, it only encourages Home Depot to keep stocking it. There
are several differences between interior and exterior paint - the exceptions
being those paints that are rated for both. I believe smell is one
difference, so there is a chance you'll be stuck with a permanent odor if
you use that barn paint.

If you really want to be that cheap, just go to a paint store and get some
of their leftover mistints. Some places give it away for free, some charge
$4 or so. Get some interior paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chalking would be a good reason not to use it. The Barn and Fence
paint I've used outside did chalk on the horizontal surfaces--and we
get plenty of rain here. Thank you, Rowdy Ruby