Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Default Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from
smearing oily black rubber on everything it touches?

Same thing happened to a toiled flush valve-flapper (age unknown -
likely 10+ years). The toiled bowl started to develop black streaks and
initially I couldn't figure out why. Then I checked out the flush valve
and got my hands incredibly stained with what seemed like india ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 22, 10:03*pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:

snip

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Best guess from here is that the rubber compound has deteriorated past
usefulness. Many years ago there were a lot of rubber goods made with
what was called 'oil extended rubber'. It was not intended for long
service, so my thought is that old age has caused the modifier to
separate from the bulk of the rubber. Everybody would be happier with
a brand new fins, don't you think?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On 2010-06-23, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

The rubber has rotted and broken down. No saving them. Just toss
'em.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Joe wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:03 pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:

snip

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Best guess from here is that the rubber compound has deteriorated past
usefulness. Many years ago there were a lot of rubber goods made with
what was called 'oil extended rubber'. It was not intended for long
service, so my thought is that old age has caused the modifier to
separate from the bulk of the rubber. Everybody would be happier with
a brand new fins, don't you think?

Joe

Rueful chuckle. I had a pair of boots (wellingtons for dry land, not
diving boots) that did that once. Only wore them 2-3 times, and then
stuck them in the closet. A year or so later, pulled them out, and the
soles and heels had turned to soft mush. Ended up ****canning them,
since they were not the kind that could be resoled at a realistic price.

Live and learn- guess that was why they were on sale so cheap in the
first place. In this case, I say trash the vintage ones and buy new. The
new designs and plastics they use work a whole lot better anyway, from
what I understand. I remember the fins I had as a kid leaving welts on
my feet.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Hi,
Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the
oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket
of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

No. It was heartbreaking for me to throw away my ScubaPro Jetfins that I
bought new when I got certified in 1969. That's what they do when they get
old. Go get a new pair, and do a little research, as if the lad wants to
use them for any other purpose than the pool, you will then need to go buy
the proper pair. Now, there are hundreds to choose from. You can buy them
in sizes, or buy the adjustables. I like the soft ones that are sized.
Only buy those that float so you don't lose one at the lake. The old pair
would look good nailed to the fence, or somewhere they won't blacken
anything. They still have some class after all these years to us old fart
divers.

HTH

Steve, NAUI certified 1969, Divemaster 1974, commercial hard hat 1974

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the
oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket
of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing
oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Hi,
Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?

At speeds of about one mile per hour, yes.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Address.invalid wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires or with 40 yr old
radiator hoses and belts, rubber decomposes- oxidises. Time for the
trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Address.invalid wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

The one thing you could "try" is a silicone spray.
When I dived we treated rubber stuff (and neoprene) with silicone. I
tried SCUBA in the late fifties...haven't done it in 30 years. I
still have some U.S.Divers gear.
Started with Healthways and moved up later to USD and Dacor.
(some lingo, "J" valve, 2-stage regulator, recompression
chamber,caisson disease)

bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black
scuba fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem
of the oily rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a
bucket of pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off
as you rub the fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing
oily black rubber on everything it touches?

Get the kids a set of new fins, and sell the old ones on ebay
**VINTAGE*** ----L@@@K!!---

jON

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On 6/23/2010 12:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the
oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a
bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing
oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Hi,
Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?

The only safety issue is if someone who cares sees the smears. The fins
are breaking down and are way past due for being replaced. You will
find that new fins are *much* lighter and easier on the legs.

http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/pr...x-technologies

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
[...]

The feet pockets on those old ones were hard and unforgiving, even with
booties on. Even if you had them adjusted just right, you had to put them
tight enough not to come off, and that meant having sore toenails for a
time. IIRC, they did not float, so if one came off .........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/pr.../pivot-flex-te...

Jay

The feet pockets on those old ones were hard and unforgiving, even with
booties on. *Even if you had them adjusted just right, you had to put them
tight enough not to come off, and that meant having sore toenails for a
time. *IIRC, they did not float, so if one came off .........

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

I had the Cressi-Rondine with open toe! Good for their time...don't
know about now.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:21:40 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires
Time for the trash.

I will not throw them away (they were my Dads' fins) but besides, there's
nothing physically wrong with them (we replaced the straps which were
missing).

The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do not float) but
their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". The only thing happening to them
is they rub off a black oily inky smear on everything they touch.

At this rate, since they're more than an inch thick in spots, it would take
a thousand years for them to wear thinly enough to become a safety hazard.

I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and "seal"
the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not
vulcanized rubber?

I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa wrote:

When I dived we treated rubber stuff (and neoprene) with silicone.

Thanks. I'll google for "silicone spray" and see what I can come up with!

(some lingo, "J" valve, 2-stage regulator, recompression
chamber,caisson disease)

Yeah. My dad said it's still the same stuff nowadays as it was in
yesteryear.

He said "a fin is a fin is a fin". He always used the K.I.S.S. principle,
especially with dive gear. No fancy mask valves. No moving snorkel parts.

He even gave me his faded-yellow canvas "horse collar", which, of course,
we would use a fancy "vest" nowadays - but the horse collar served him
fine!

As for terminology, his big heavy black US Divers fins are branded
"rocketfins" he said derisively since he paid extra for them when he was
taking the dive class, only to find out later while diving that a fin is a
fin is a fin.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

In article ,
Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Take old fins to garbage can. Drop in. Buy new fins.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

Certain rubbers have that problem when they get old. There is nothing
you can do to fix them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:45 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and "seal"
the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not
vulcanized rubber?

Dunno. You are adamant bout using those particular fins?

Couple of thoughts (temporary solutions):

Automotive store , look for products for cleaning car tires. Same for
(not my words) conditioners, Armour All, etc.....

Maybe a local car detailing shop or dive shop can offer you advice.

When I wash the rubber trim on my truck windows, the wash rag gets
really dirty from the rubber.

I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...

This too will pass :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I mentioned this to my kids(daughter and son, both life savers andd
certified divers, w/rescue rating). They said, "don't be sentimental,
be practical" If wanted, you can keep them but don't have to use them
to smear your pool deck. Every thing in life has time to go including
ourselves. We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what not
before it is too late.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
I mentioned this to my kids(daughter and son, both life savers andd
certified divers, w/rescue rating). They said, "don't be sentimental,
be practical" If wanted, you can keep them but don't have to use them
to smear your pool deck. Every thing in life has time to go including
ourselves. We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less burden
my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what not
before it is too late.

My 86-yr-old mom has me go through her closets and dump stuff into the
donate pile or the garbage can (her condo's cans are HUGE!) every week. It's
one of the "activities" we do together. She apologizes for it, but I think
it's great. It only takes about 30 minutes a week, but she donates half a
car load every few months to the "welfare-to-work" or other charity. Yeah,
some of it gets put in the trash, but her very lightly used
uber-expensive-classic-vintage size 6 suits get donated. I told her what she
could get on eBay for this stuff (petite designer clothes back as far as the
50s!) but she prefers to donate to her favorite charities. Good for her!
Every time she says, "Less junk for you to deal with when I'm gone." It's
not like I can wear it - she's 4'10" and I'm 5'6". She wears a size 6 shoe
and I wear a 7.5. Ain't gonna happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
[...]

Be careful what you give away....my mom used to give us the "death tour"
every time we came to visit after the move to Florida, showing us where
valuables and important papers were. Mom collected some gold jewelry,
mainly as an investment. She looped the necklaces and bracelets around
the hangers for the clothing in her closet...she had a cedar chest with
a secret drawer, but who would steal an elderly lady's blouses? My mom
died at age 82, and had just begun to show signs that her great memory
was not so great. She had gotten compulsive, when she was ill, about
paying the bills when they arrived. I handled the mail and writing
checks, and I could not lay the bill down when it arrived....I had to
keep it in my hand, get the check-book and put the payment in the
mailbox. We're both stubborn, but her concerns were most important, so
that's what we did. Couple of years before my mom died, she mentioned
that she had lost one of her necklaces with gold nuggets on it...said
she had it in her hand when she took out the trash and apparently
dropped it in the trash. After she died, the first things I got rid of
was her clothing, offered to a neighbor friend first. I took an armload
of blouses from the closet all in one bunch, and when I took hold of it,
I felt a hard lump in the clothing. On looking further, I found my
mom's necklace inside the hem ... partly unravelled...in the front of
one blouse. I can just envision her doodling around with it, sticking
it into the hem and forgetting. She was sharper than most, even with
her memory showing signs of failing, so it was a mystery. We both have
one-track minds, and if distracted forget something really important )
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.

Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find interest in
them. They will.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
[...]

Judy- the fact that the surface rubs off means that they are NOT as
solid as when they were new. The rubber is breaking down. I completely
understand about keeping them for sentimental reasons, but all they are
good for at this point is a display piece, perhaps on the poolhouse wall
or in your kid's bedroom, out of direct sunlight. Spraying them with one
of the sealers Krylon markets to artists may make them cleaner to
handle, for awhile at least. Unlike the other products you mentioned,
rubber flexes, so there really isn't a good way to add a new surface to it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.

Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find interest in
them. They will.

Jon

Hi,
I am archiving old movie shots and pictures onto a few DVDs.
No bulky albums.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.

Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find interest
in
them. They will.

Jon

Hi,
I am archiving old movie shots and pictures onto a few DVDs.
No bulky albums.

DVD's and CD's have lifespans.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:21:40 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires
Time for the trash.

I will not throw them away (they were my Dads' fins) but besides, there's
nothing physically wrong with them (we replaced the straps which were
missing).

The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do not float) but
their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". The only thing happening to them
is they rub off a black oily inky smear on everything they touch.

But it's a safety issue. My swim fins came off once and I drowned.

At this rate, since they're more than an inch thick in spots, it would take
a thousand years for them to wear thinly enough to become a safety hazard.

I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and "seal"
the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not
vulcanized rubber?

Do you have to do the insides too or only the outside?

I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:56:28 -0700, Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

[...]

Rocketfins don't require an external supply of oxygen, like jetfins
do.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

wrote:

[...]

That was good. :-)

Popeye
"If one does as God does enough times, one
will become as God is." -Dr. Hannibal Lector.

www.finalprotectivefire.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/Popeye8762

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.

Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find
interest in
them. They will.

Jon

Hi,
I am archiving old movie shots and pictures onto a few DVDs.
No bulky albums.

I have family albums and a couple of letters which are well over 100
years old and have been scanned onto CD's. They are put away in the
immigrant trunk brought over in 1869....I've pondered what will happen
if someone tries to read the CD's fifty years from now, after umpteen
"upgrades" in storing data. They'll have to find someone who collects
antique computers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
Tony Hwang wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.

Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find
interest in
them. They will.

Jon

Hi,
I am archiving old movie shots and pictures onto a few DVDs.
No bulky albums.

I have family albums and a couple of letters which are well over 100 years
old and have been scanned onto CD's. They are put away in the immigrant
trunk brought over in 1869....I've pondered what will happen if someone
tries to read the CD's fifty years from now, after umpteen "upgrades" in
storing data. They'll have to find someone who collects antique
computers?

Know that the different substrates used in the sandwich of materials used to
make CDs and DVDs are different, and may only have a lifespan of less than
five years. If you notice, they all are a little different color when you
hold them up for a reflection. I would trust that the little flash drives
will be around for a very long time, hold the information, not degrade, and
will be able to be read. I think those digital storage devices would have a
very long lifespan compared to some of the 3-5 year minimum CD's. Not sure
of DVD's, but I'm sure you 've all had some that have gone bad. And once
they're gone, they're gone. For that type of stuff, Mozy, or those they
advertise on talk radio shows might be a consideration for a long term
reliable archiving of family artifacts.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
[...]

I'm sure you're not the "ONLY" person with the problem you have.

Try posting he

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On 6/23/2010 21:44, mm wrote:

But it's a safety issue. My swim fins came off once and I drowned.

Please share with us how you participate in this discussion from the
afterlife.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Steve B wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less
burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what
not before it is too late.
Save the pictures, man, even if you don't think anyone will find interest
in
them. They will.

Jon

Hi,
I am archiving old movie shots and pictures onto a few DVDs.
No bulky albums.

DVD's and CD's have lifespans.

The CDs and DVDs will outlast easy availability of the readers. Each new
media format seems to last no more than 20 years, tops, and then you
have to go to a specialist, or a museum, to get it read. Plan on copying
them over to whatever comes next, or preservation-pack a PC with a
reader with the discs. I always try to keep at least one machine
available at work and/or at home with the previous 'standard' media
hardware in it. It has saved my ass, and others posteriors as well, more
than once.

In an airtight light-proof container, photo prints and negatives can
easily last a century, as long as they aren't subjected to heat or moisture.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:21:17 -0700, Bob wrote:

On 6/23/2010 21:44, mm wrote:

But it's a safety issue. My swim fins came off once and I drowned.

Please share with us how you participate in this discussion from the
afterlife.

I have wi-fi.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Some clueless frog with absolutely no diving experience wrote:

As for terminology, his big heavy black US Divers fins are branded
"rocketfins" he said derisively since he paid extra for them when he was
taking the dive class, only to find out later while diving that a fin is a
fin is a fin.

Yeah, right. So, lets start at the beginning. A 1 foot long fin used for
body surfing is exactly as functional as a three foot long fin used for free
diving and spearfishing?

Is that what you're saying, Lassie?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

On Jun 23, 11:50*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Yes, you probably are the ONLY person with this problem because most
other people are not wanting to " find a varnish or spray that will
"cover" and "seal" the fins" that their kids are using in their
pool. Most people would probably start to think that dear old dad's
fins have had it. Most people wouldn't want to subject their children
to the chemicals peeling off of those fins and causing the "black
oily inky smear on everything they touch." Most people would simply
put dad's fins in the corner and buy their children some new fins that
won't leak into the pool and thereby cause unknown damage to their
children while their children are exposed to these chemicals peeling
off into the pool combined with the chlorine and other pool
chemicals.

Yes, you definately have a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

You start off by saying "My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US
Divers circa 1970's black scuba fins in the pool but I won't let him
until we solve the problem of the oily rubber coming off in our hands.
" You solve the problem by not using those fins.

You say, "The only thing happening to them is they rub off a black
oily inky smear on everything they touch." Why are you comfortable
with that black oily inky smear to keep it around your children long
enough to figure out what to do about it?

You say, "I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will
"cover" and "seal" the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and
metals ... so why not
vulcanized rubber? " Well Judy, if a varnish or spray does exist,
why would you subject your children to it once in the pool? In the
water? The water that is covering their skin and the water that their
sucking in and spitting out while they play in the pool?

You say, "The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do
not float) but their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". Why can't
there be a safety hazard with a product made 40 yrs ago? Are you
sure the chlorine and other chemicals in the pool couldn't interact
with the fins even more?

Take those old fins and put them in the attic if you don't want to
throw them away. If you look for reasons to justify to have your kids
around the "oily rubber coming off in our hands. " and "rub off a
black oily inky smear on everything they touch." , then yes, you
probably are the ONLY person with this problem. In that case, I feel
sorry for your kids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

She had gotten compulsive, when she was ill, about
paying the bills when they arrived. I handled the mail and writing
checks, and I could not lay the bill down when it arrived....I had to
keep it in my hand, get the check-book and put the payment in the
mailbox. We're both stubborn, but her concerns were most important, so
that's what we did.

I'm betting your mom hating paying the exhorbitant late fees many credit
card and other companies charge nowadays. She knew she was losing
competency and she was compensating by making sure her attention stayed
focused on the task at had. I think it's wonderful that our brains and
bodies can adapt to all the things that can go wrong with us but so sad to
watch it happening to ones we love.

I am glad you realized how important is was to her to get the task done
correctly and in a timely fashion and helped her to do what was important to
her. I see lots of children who scold their declining parents instead,
which is truly sad.

A blessing upon you for your honoring your parents.

I worry what will happen to all the single boomers out there when Old Age
tracks them down.

"Eleanor Rigby died in a church
and was buried along with her name,
Nobody came."

Can you imagine what it would have been like for your mom without you to
help her? shudder I read more and more stories about seniors freezing to
death, starving to death, dying from lack of A/C, getting sick because they
can't afford their medications.

The worst are stories in the newspapers about seniors, many of them DIY
types like many here, who, when they get too old to fix their own roofs or
do their own painting, fall prey to home repair schemes because they have a
hard time resisting the hard sell pitch. A much older friend than me
(graduated West Point the year I was born!) bought an alarm system from
(ex-Mormon) traveling salesmen who knocked on his door cold calling!!!!!

He was smarter than that when he was younger and sharper, but now, living
alone, in terrible pain from legs blown out by years of marching (and
handball!) he's easy meat for scam artists. It didn't take long for the
system to fail and when he called the company, the person who answered said
it had been sold and they could help him - by installing a new system from
the new company. I asked him if he thought it was a good idea to buy from
guys who could have been burglars, casing the neighbor to see who had alarms
and who didn't. sigh

Lots of the elderly folks in my neighborhood are finding that the pensions
and assistance they were promised in their old age aren't coming. The
equity in the companies they worked for and helped build evaporated when
some Wall Street corporate takeover firm bought up their company, loaded it
with outrageous debt, sucked the equity out of it, and threw it away when
they had their fill. When Tony Soprano does it, it's bankruptcy fraud.
When Wall Street Raiders do it, the same end results occur, but it's nice
and legal. That, and a number of other dubious financial practices make
money for *some* people but hurt a heck of a lot more.

In far too many cases taxpayers are left to foot the bill for the failed
pension promises:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...tc/script.html

"United's pensions had become an elephant-sized issue because for several
years, United, like many companies, put little or no cash into its pension
trust funds. Instead, United counted on credit for past contributions and
overly optimistic assumptions about stock market gains to meet its pension
obligations. But after the market plunged, United's pension funds were
almost $10 billion in the red.

Through bankruptcy, United shifted the responsibility for paying its
workers' pensions to a little known federal agency, the Pension Benefit
Guaranty Corporation, the PBGC, which insures failed pension plans.

How'd we get here from scuba fins? (-: In deference to our OT averse
co-members, a reply (none's really needed though) should come in a renamed,
OT thread, although I could make a connection from Home Repair to just about
anything because it's such a broad topic.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba

Address.invalid wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

There are many naysayers here...I think this is only oxidation.
Someone mentioned a toilet flapper (which I have encountered) with a
similar problem.
Although I have not seen anything I would call oily? It appears to be
the black pigment separating from the encasing material, neoprene
rubber.
I would try a non-chlorine abrasive cleanser and then silicone.
Good Luck,
bob