Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

On Jun 22, 10:03*pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily
black rubber on everything it touches?

There are many naysayers here...I think this is only oxidation.
Someone mentioned a toilet flapper (which I have encountered) with a
similar problem.
Although I have not seen anything I would call oily? It appears to be
the black pigment separating from the encasing material, neoprene
rubber.
I would try a non-chlorine abrasive cleanser and then silicone.
Good Luck,
bob