Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

On Jun 23, 7:28*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Jay Hanig" wrote in message

On 6/23/2010 12:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba
fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the
oily
rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a
bucket of
pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub
the
fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing
oily
black rubber on everything it touches?
Hi,
Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?

The only safety issue is if someone who cares sees the smears. *The fins
are breaking down and are way past due for being replaced. *You will find
that new fins are *much* lighter and easier on the legs.

http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/pr.../pivot-flex-te...

Jay

The feet pockets on those old ones were hard and unforgiving, even with
booties on. *Even if you had them adjusted just right, you had to put them
tight enough not to come off, and that meant having sore toenails for a
time. *IIRC, they did not float, so if one came off .........

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

I had the Cressi-Rondine with open toe! Good for their time...don't
know about now.