Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.scuba
Carmen[_2_] Carmen[_2_] is offline

Default Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote
in message ...
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:21:40 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires
Time for the trash.

I will not throw them away (they were my Dads' fins) but besides, there's
nothing physically wrong with them (we replaced the straps which were
missing).

The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do not float)
but
their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". The only thing happening to
them
is they rub off a black oily inky smear on everything they touch.

At this rate, since they're more than an inch thick in spots, it would
take
a thousand years for them to wear thinly enough to become a safety
hazard.

I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and
"seal"
the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not
vulcanized rubber?

I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...

I'm sure you're not the "ONLY" person with the problem you have.

Try posting he