Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Invasion of the red ants

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:16:48 -0400, "
wrote:

LOL...worst trapped animal I have handled was a gopher tortoise that
moved from my yard to a county park )

I am surprised (s)he didn't back. It must have been pretty far away.
I have several living around here and the FPL easement behind me is a
tortoise sanctuary with 35-40 there at any given time.
We have a few with distinctive shell marking that we named.
There is one big female (Roberta was Bob before I knew how to tell)
that has lived here for the 28 years I have been here.
One of my neighbors did try to move her once, about half mile away up
to the state park. She was back in less than a week.
We have had babies several times and watched them grow up.

BTW, trick to catch a tortoise. Bury a white bucket right outside the
burrow at a 45 degree angle opposite the hole angle. They fall in the
bucket and you move them. Just check the bucket frequently so it
doesn't starve and die. It is illegal to kill one.
If one starts a hole in a place you don't want them, throw a couple
big rocks, pieces of concrete or bricks in the hole,. They think they
hit bedrock and abandon the dig.

Don't use your real name if you say you moved a g. tortoise ) It's
illegal. Our tortoise moved about 5 miles, so I didn't expect to see it
again. There is a "trick" to catching a tortoise, other than walking up
to the thing and picking it up? ) I picked it up, put it into a big
cooking pot and carried him in that ... he was royally p.o.'d! I would
not have considered moving him but that he was digging right next to the
front door and I wanted to sell the house. O/wise, I loved having all
the critters around. I miss them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:25:43 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

When I lived in an old walk up in NYC, I sprinkled boric acid all around the
kitchen floor because the roaches were so thick. They sailed right through
piles of the stuff like they were skiing and it had no visible affect on
them at all.

As I mentioned above, BA burns the exoskeleton. It takes some time. I
dusted my garage before. A day or few later the critters are belly-up.

For roaches? See the Las Vegas Coffee Grounds Roach Trap - version 2

http://www.lasvegasmixx.com/702/viewtopic.php?id=1502

I still use the original type, mason jar with used coffee grounds and
an inch or so of water. They climb in and cannot climb out (glass).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
clipped

Anyway, Rocky did not go easily or quietly. Finally had to build a loop
stick to haul him out of the stove where he was hiding. Somewhere I

have
picture of Rocky staring out from under the hole beneath the burner.

We're
still finding dessicated squirrel pellets on the tops of cabinets and

other
odd places.

--
Bobby G.

LOL...worst trapped animal I have handled was a gopher tortoise that
moved from my yard to a county park )

You have problems with animals that I've never even heard of! (Reminds me
of the old saying: She had curves in places where other women didn't even
HAVE places.)

When we used our pop-top camper the last time, we forgot there was food
stored. The remarkable colony of roaches that moved in were able to
chew through the wrappers on Ritz crackers. Also chewed up the soles of
my rubber flip flops....can't imagine them being mistaken or used as
food )

If those FF's were from China, who knows what was in them. Melamine and pet
food? Blood thinner? Poisoned milk? Recycled executed political
prisoners?

We had a colony of roaches move into our place when upstairs neighbor
moved out...they had small children, so probably easier food sources for
the bugs.

Once roaches get established in multi-family dwellings, they really get a
foothold. Often treatment just causes them to flee to the least fumigated
part of the building where they "hole up" until the poison fades away.

I've read about mixing baits for carpenter ants, using sugar and boric
acid. Those articles said that the b.a. must be liquid, they will not
ingest granules.

I guess not. This was in the '70s when the boric acid technique first
gained wide dispersion and there wasn't an internet nor a whole lot of
information about exactly how to apply it. Worst experience ever? Trying
to syphon out a clogged sink by sucking on a rubber tube that had a roach
crawling inside it. Ptui!!! Lesson learned: blow before you suck!

When topical flea treatment for cats came out, we got it right away.
The vet advised sprinkling b.a. all over the carpet, leave for few days
and then vacuum up to get rid of eggs. Had tried everything prior to
that...powder, shampoo, dips, foggers...the topical stuff got rid of the
flea problem within days, so didn't use the b.a.

I rescued some antiques from a condemned house years ago...old ladies,
plumbing didn't work, pet cats, trash stuffed into kitchen cabinets. I
could hear the roaches running around on the piles of trash.

It's a *very* creepy noise. I took an apartment over Gepetto's restaurant
in DC once and I head something under the bed. Ever see the scene in Aliens
where Bill Paxton pokes his head into the ceiling tiles? I saw this huge,
old dirt brown cockroach waddling its way along under the bed not even
bothering to run for it. I moved out the next day and my landlord let me
break the lease when I told him why. Turned out to be an illegal apartment
so I am sure he didn't want any trouble with the health department. Never
ate at Gepetto's after that because I assumed that's where King Roach held
court.

I came
prepared...boots, gloves, rake, shovel ) As soon as I got the
furniture outside, I poured full strength bleach all over it. Nice pie
safe and walnut table ) Cheap way to furnish a home )

I left a lot of stuff behind when I moved from the NYC apartment because
they lay eggs everywhere. Inside stereos, in collections of papers, inside
record albums (remember those?), inside TV's, shoes, clothes and boxes of
any kind. I'd bring a flamethrower to the scene you described. God, how I
hated those little f*ckers. Especially if one crawled into the bed at
night.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I lived in an old walk up in NYC, I sprinkled boric acid all around

the
kitchen floor because the roaches were so thick. They sailed right

through
piles of the stuff like they were skiing and it had no visible affect on
them at all.

As I mentioned above, BA burns the exoskeleton. It takes some time. I
dusted my garage before. A day or few later the critters are belly-up.

For roaches? See the Las Vegas Coffee Grounds Roach Trap - version 2

http://www.lasvegasmixx.com/702/viewtopic.php?id=1502

I still use the original type, mason jar with used coffee grounds and
an inch or so of water. They climb in and cannot climb out (glass).

Thank God roaches are just a bad memory for me. It's good to be reminded
that there are lots of small things to be thankful in this world, and living
roach-free is one of them.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
clipped
about army ants reaching the US by 1960, he was pretty much on target

for
the fire ant invasion. I think the most fascinating thing army ants do

is
to build living bridges of ants over water barriers. Who taught them

that?
(-:

Might have been my neighbor's kid...I caught him and his friend in my
garden once, showing praying mantis how to mate. )

Yikes - kids today!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
I came
prepared...boots, gloves, rake, shovel ) As soon as I got the
furniture outside, I poured full strength bleach all over it. Nice pie
safe and walnut table ) Cheap way to furnish a home )

I left a lot of stuff behind when I moved from the NYC apartment because
they lay eggs everywhere. Inside stereos, in collections of papers, inside
record albums (remember those?), inside TV's, shoes, clothes and boxes of
any kind. I'd bring a flamethrower to the scene you described. God, how I
hated those little f*ckers. Especially if one crawled into the bed at
night.

--
Bobby G.

It was winter, so the roaches were pretty slow...had my pants tied shut
around my ankles so's no roaches would be tempted to run for cover. I
was young and foolish, still furnishing my home and got some real
bargains that day ) Farm auctions were more fun )

I had heard about these ladies from a doctor who cared for them. His
complaint was that they never bathed....they had a houseful of cats and
the cats used the bathtub. Owner told me they used buckets for toilets
and tossed it out the window ) I would not have bothered with the
furniture if it had not been really good stuff...painted, so I covered
it with bleach before I put it in my car. Made a final check of the
house before departing, along with my brave and loyal friend who had
dibs on the table. At the top of the basement stairs there was a pile
of stuff and what first looked like an antique teddy bear ... not a
teddy bear but a dead cat!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
m...
clipped
about army ants reaching the US by 1960, he was pretty much on target

for
the fire ant invasion. I think the most fascinating thing army ants do

is
to build living bridges of ants over water barriers. Who taught them

that?
(-:

Might have been my neighbor's kid...I caught him and his friend in my
garden once, showing praying mantis how to mate. )

Yikes - kids today!

--
Bobby G.

That was yesterday...they're grown up and probably parents ) I had no
idea of how anything mated when I was their ages...7 or 8?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

..worst trapped animal I have handled was a gopher tortoise that
moved from my yard to a county park

(I know a FL tortoise.. "Gopher")

In Nevada, we have Mojave Max. He became the Spokestortoise in 1995.

http://www.mojavemax.com/default.html

We even have an adoption program. Follow the rules and have a desert
tortoise for generations. You can only have 'em under the adoption
rules.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

Gack! I couldn't have lived with that furniture. Ever see the Macolm in
the Middle where Hal, after finding an antique chest, opens it and says "Who
would hang all these bowties upside down like that?" Yes, it ws BATS!

I'm flashing on an old cartoon where all the furniture in a room is
shivering in fear. Was that Beauty and the Beast? That's what I would see
looking at furniture that has "lived" through the experience you described.

That said, I rescued an incredibly stinky 12 by 6 deep rubber mat from a
restaurant to use in my darkroom. Took me two days, the bright sun, a
toilet brush and a bucket of Mr. Clean triple strength to even put a dent in
the stink. But it was soooo comfortable to stand on for hours at a time it
was worth it. Truth is, I am never happier than when I am rescuing some
item that still has useful life in it. And a few that don't. (-;

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I lived in an old walk up in NYC, I sprinkled boric acid all around

the
kitchen floor because the roaches were so thick. They sailed right

through
piles of the stuff like they were skiing and it had no visible affect on
them at all.

As I mentioned above, BA burns the exoskeleton. It takes some time. I
dusted my garage before. A day or few later the critters are belly-up.

For roaches? See the Las Vegas Coffee Grounds Roach Trap - version 2

http://www.lasvegasmixx.com/702/viewtopic.php?id=1502

I still use the original type, mason jar with used coffee grounds and
an inch or so of water. They climb in and cannot climb out (glass).

Thank God when I moved south, the roaches stayed in NYC. Must have had a
multi-year contract.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
m...
clipped
about army ants reaching the US by 1960, he was pretty much on target

for
the fire ant invasion. I think the most fascinating thing army ants

do
is
to build living bridges of ants over water barriers. Who taught them

that?
(-:

Might have been my neighbor's kid...I caught him and his friend in my
garden once, showing praying mantis how to mate. )

Yikes - kids today!

--
Bobby G.

That was yesterday...they're grown up and probably parents ) I had no
idea of how anything mated when I was their ages...7 or 8?

A school administrator I know was certain that the 7 year old kids in one of
the school's classes were being sexually influenced by an adult. I assured
her that some kids are very precocious about sex and by age seven I knew of
several neighbor kids that were alread "drydocking in the pews" so to speak.
Kids now so much more than when I was a kid . . .

How did we get here from Red Ants? Thread Drift Alert!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

The owner of the condemned house was a work buddy who lived next to the
condemned house. He kept me up on the blow-by-blow struggle to get the
elderly ladies out (to a nursing home) and condemn the house. Finally,
he came by a couple of days before demo was scheduled. Being a
dedicated antiquer, I knew there would be "stuff" left behind; I was
also interested in whatever old light fixtures or whatever might be
there. He said "There is just an old built-in cabinet with holes in the
doors." What else? "Oh, an old table." A cabinet with holes in the
doors is a pie safe; it had many coats of paint and was "built in" in an
alcove off the kitchen with molding around it. Because of the trash, it
had not been opened for years and years...the trash was knee deep. I
just had to rake away the trash, pry off the molding and haul it out.
It was entirely covered with paint, so there was no nasty stuff that
could have soaked into the wood. Most old pie safes with punched tin
doors are trash because they get stored in barns and the tin rusts away.
Mine was perfectly preserved ) The black walnut table was a little
dirty, and full strength bleach didn't harm the wood at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Seven-year-old boys and red ants are both household pests )

Slug invasion [email protected] UK diy 23 June 17th 07 11:36 PM
A red invasion UCLAN Electronics Repair 15 January 21st 07 10:21 PM
A red invasion James Sweet Electronics Repair 3 January 21st 07 10:23 AM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Invasion of airspace HS UK diy 33 March 9th 05 07:25 PM