Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Invasion of the red ants

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:16:48 -0400, "
wrote:

LOL...worst trapped animal I have handled was a gopher tortoise that
moved from my yard to a county park )

I am surprised (s)he didn't back. It must have been pretty far away.
I have several living around here and the FPL easement behind me is a
tortoise sanctuary with 35-40 there at any given time.
We have a few with distinctive shell marking that we named.
There is one big female (Roberta was Bob before I knew how to tell)
that has lived here for the 28 years I have been here.
One of my neighbors did try to move her once, about half mile away up
to the state park. She was back in less than a week.
We have had babies several times and watched them grow up.

BTW, trick to catch a tortoise. Bury a white bucket right outside the
burrow at a 45 degree angle opposite the hole angle. They fall in the
bucket and you move them. Just check the bucket frequently so it
doesn't starve and die. It is illegal to kill one.
If one starts a hole in a place you don't want them, throw a couple
big rocks, pieces of concrete or bricks in the hole,. They think they
hit bedrock and abandon the dig.

Don't use your real name if you say you moved a g. tortoise ) It's
illegal. Our tortoise moved about 5 miles, so I didn't expect to see it
again. There is a "trick" to catching a tortoise, other than walking up
to the thing and picking it up? ) I picked it up, put it into a big
cooking pot and carried him in that ... he was royally p.o.'d! I would
not have considered moving him but that he was digging right next to the
front door and I wanted to sell the house. O/wise, I loved having all
the critters around. I miss them.