Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are These Commonly Available?

Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 8:22*am, Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

I believe lowes has regular channel nuts but these look like they may
be a special size and I have not seen them at lowes with a spring on
the back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 05:22:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Yup-
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Several styles & sizes. These folks are great- I'm a long-time
satisfied customer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Probably. Fastenal is one U.S. source. Electricians in my area
use them when mounting panels. Some on Ebay. Some trade names are
Unistrut, Superstrut, and Powerstrut.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article
,
says...
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Yes, you can find them at Home Depot. They are with the SuperStrut parts
stocked next to the electrical conduit. They fit the 1 5/8" wide SuperStrut.
They carry them in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" at least.

--
DT

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 22, 9:07*am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

* * *Probably. * Fastenal is one U.S. source. * Electricians in my area
use them when mounting panels. *Some on Ebay. *Some trade names are
Unistrut, Superstrut, and Powerstrut.

At least around here, I've heard it called "Kindorf" more than
anything else.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

* * *Probably. * Fastenal is one U.S. source. * Electricians in my area
use them when mounting panels. *Some on Ebay. *Some trade names are
Unistrut, Superstrut, and Powerstrut.

At least around here, I've heard it called "Kindorf" more than
anything else.

nate

Thanks much to all, very helpful!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2010 8:22 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Sure, any real supply house will have a good selection of channel nuts
plus all of the other helpful hardware/clamps/accessories you can buy to
use with Unistrut or whatever manufacturer is popular in your area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

* * *Probably. * Fastenal is one U.S. source. * Electricians in my area
use them when mounting panels. *Some on Ebay. *Some trade names are
Unistrut, Superstrut, and Powerstrut.

At least around here, I've heard it called "Kindorf" more than
anything else.

nate

I got some from our electrician in the area...I needed them to remount
seats in our facility bus (8 passenger+2 wheelchair)
Thanks again...job done!
bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 8:22*am, Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Why does the catalog page say:

"For best results use M 12 size"

If there are various sizes for various applications, how would they
know that the M 12 size will give the best results?

Why would they even sell alternatives that *won't* give the best
results?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2010 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:22 am, Bob wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Why does the catalog page say:

"For best results use M 12 size"

If there are various sizes for various applications, how would they
know that the M 12 size will give the best results?

Why would they even sell alternatives that *won't* give the best
results?

Because that is the largest thread size and most stable/strongest. But
not everything you might be attaching to the strut can accommodate a M12
bolt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2010 7:22 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Any electrical supply house in the U.S. stocks them but not
necessarily in metric sizes. The smaller sizes are used in
data cabinets and should be available through supply houses
that cater to network and telecom infrastructure installers.
The last 19" rack panel cabinet I assembled used a lot of
the small spring nuts in sizes like 10/32 in 1/2" channel.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 8:22 am, Bob *wrote:
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/galler.../image/12a.jpg

Thanks,
bob
(I do not live in the UK)

Why does the catalog page say:

"For best results use M 12 size"

If there are various sizes for various applications, how would they
know that the M 12 size will give the best results?

Why would they even sell alternatives that *won't* give the best
results?

Because that is the largest thread size and most stable/strongest. But
not everything you might be attaching to the strut can accommodate a M12
bolt.

If what you are attaching can't accommodate an M 12 bolt, then the M
12 size won't give you the "best result".

That was basically the point of my question.

If your explanation is correct (and I have no reason to doubt it) then
the wording should be:

"For the best results, use the largest thread size that will work for
your application."

Selecting a specific size without knowing the given application and
saying that it will give the "best result" is misleading and confusing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8
bolts. This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 05:11:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8
bolts. This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v

I don't get it. How do these channel nuts work? Do they stick
somehow to the understide of the floor?...

I think I get it now, but how did it help with your bus? It had rods
or soemthing going across the bottom to hold the nuts?

What are those channels on each side and how do they help them stick?

What could the spring do?

Any or all of that is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8
bolts. This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v

I don't get it. How do these channel nuts work? Do they stick
somehow to the understide of the floor?...

I think I get it now, but how did it help with your bus? It had rods
or soemthing going across the bottom to hold the nuts?

What are those channels on each side and how do they help them stick?

What could the spring do?

Any or all of that is appreciated.

You use them in channel (hence "channel nut"):
http://www.unistrut.com/about/index.php?P=Overview

The nuts go anywhere into the channel, then you turn them clockwise
about 80 degrees. The spring holds the nut at the top of the channel.
The grooves in the nut catch the edges at the top of the channel so the
nut won't turn.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

Wow. That's great. Great picture. Great idea.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8
bolts. *This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v

I don't get it. *How do these channel nuts work? *Do they stick
somehow to the understide of the floor?...

I think I get it now, but how did it help with your bus? *It had rods
or soemthing going across the bottom to hold the nuts?

What are those channels on each side and how do they help them stick?

What could the spring do?

Any or all of that is appreciated.

There are channels on each wall and in the floor on each side. They
are lower profile (rectangular rather than square).
We have double seats on the left and single on the right. What I had
to do is remove one of the doubles and add a jump seat and put another
single on the right.
Hope this makes sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8
bolts. *This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v

I don't get it. *How do these channel nuts work? *Do they stick
somehow to the understide of the floor?...

I think I get it now, but how did it help with your bus? *It had rods
or soemthing going across the bottom to hold the nuts?

What are those channels on each side and how do they help them stick?

What could the spring do?

Any or all of that is appreciated.

There are channels on each wall and in the floor on each side. They
are lower profile (rectangular rather than square).
We have double seats on the left and single on the right. What I had
to do is remove one of the doubles and add a jump seat and put another
single on the right.
Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does. Thanks. I'm starting to recall that I may have seen
such channels. I didn't know about channel nuts and didn't associate
the two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

the two.- Hide quoted text -