Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT A tale of two webpages, both from the same city

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:43:48 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On May 30, 1:35?pm, terry wrote:
On May 29, 2:04?pm, harry wrote:

On May 29, 4:47 pm, terry wrote:

On May 29, 1:14 pm, N8N wrote:

On May 29, 8:05 am, George wrote:

On 5/29/2010 7:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
OT A tale of two webpages, both from Baltimore City

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...ary-hazmat-201...

City school staff, students isolated after thermometer break
More than a dozen held on concerns of mercury exposure
Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

A Baltimore fire department spokesman says more than a dozen people at
a Baltimore school have been isolated after broken thermometers
prompted concerns about the mercury inside.

They will probably monitor their health for the next 20 years now.

At a school not far from here, it was discovered the near 100 year old
building had asbestos in the ceilings. So they had an emergency
evacuation and closed the school until it was removed months later. Good
thing they did not wait another 90 minutes to the end of the school day
to send the kids home.

Unfortunately this is the kind of shy is falling in stuff that really
discredits (and rightly so) these government agencies.

Someone I know is replacing one of their business locations with a new
building. One of the procedures for tearing down the old small one story
building was to get some sort of hazardous materials permit. Some
inspector had to be hired and he found that a 5x5' (yes, 25 sq ft)
office had floor tiles that "may contain asbestos". So it cost $3,800
and delayed the project by two weeks until the proper outfit which was
rated to handle the highly dangerous non-friable asbestos could be
hired.

Hmm, I guess I probably shouldn't have just scraped up the old stick-
on tiles in my laundry room and put the pieces in a plastic bag then.
(yes, I did it wet, made it easier to get them up off the floor.

nate- Hide quoted text -

I think the two parts of the following anecdote connect???? And are
somewhat on topic with the foregoing?

My late father born around 1901, grew up in London UK and told me
about workers who job it was to paint the luminous paint markings onto
WWI aircraft instrument dials, 'luminous' watches etc.
It was done by hand; required some artistry and a steady hand. It was
the habit of the workers to wet and rotate their brushes between their
lips in order to shape the fine pointed ends of their brushes to
produce the fine markings.
Many years later it was noticed that a significant number of the
workers died from various forms of throat, lip and other
cancers and it was traced to the small amounts of radioactive
luminescent paint that the workers had ingested!

My father, who was of course a child, during that first war died in
the late 1960s

A few years ago there was press story about an old building in that
same area of London that had had variuos uses (possibly at one point
it was tobacco warehouse?) during the last century was being renovated
once again. Memory escapes me but it was possibly being upgraded to
high end apartments? It was discovered almost accidentally that the
floors of the building were highly contaminated with some type of
radioactivity. Very expensive to remove and replace apparently.
Investigation showed that the building had at one time, back around
WWI, been used as a small factory for producing aircraft instruments
etc. The radioactive floors were the result of variuos spills/splashes
of luminous paint!

So I wonder? In my mind the two separate stories seemed to connect?

I guess that item "Check for radioactivity" is not on most 'Approved
for Occupancy Permit check-lists'?

Have fun.- Hide quoted text -

You're quite right
Both these stories are true.
The radioactivity in the building I think was the Rutherford
laboratory.http://physicsworld.com/blog/2010/02...left.html-Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the Rutherford Lab. reference the common link I had thought
was that both incidents were in London, but I may have been wrong?

Another half remembered and undocumented memory or
question ........... is as follows.

My late father took his Maths. degrees at Cambridge UK. Sometime, I
think in the early 1920s either before, or slightly later after
returning from being a surveyor in Nigeria. While at Cambridge as a
somewhat penniless student he and others in order to earn a few extra
shillings were employed by the Physics Dept. to do many series of
calculations (multiple equations) by hand.

There were of course no computers, or presumably calculators, then, of
sufficient sophistication? The equations ?were for some of the early
work on atomic physics.

I had thought he made some reference to the 'Rutherford Lab'. but
maybe that was my assumption. Although there does seem to have been a
connection to Rutherford.

And of course this was long before (well 15 - 20 years or so) all the
work by British and US science that led to the Manhattan project of
WWII.

Thanks for sparking the half remembered memories.

PS. We have a tree planting and give away day in this community today.- Hide quoted text -

Give away day????

Sure, why not?

I have planted thousands of tree myself. I usd to have a farm and
planted them there. There was a gov. subsidy at the time but I did
all the work myself including all the fencing to keep the sheep out.

What's the difference between a "gov. subsidy" and a "give away", other than
the latter isn't necessarily a transfer of money from one taxpayer to another.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:54:03 -0400, mm wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:19:39 -0500, "
wrote:

When the lights were off, I used to walk into the edge of a partly
open french door between the dining room and hall. I painted it with
fluroescent paint in 1975, but I'm sure by that time, they used
something else to make it glow. Right?

Yes, that was phosphorescent paint, not radioluminescent.

Good. Although that wart on my hand is growing into a 6th finger.
Maybe I should see a dermatologist.

Definitely, if it has a nail on it. ;-)

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

I believe they will declare anywhere within a 5 mile radius of your
house a class I environmental disaster area if they find out...

Does 'shoot, shovel, and shut up' ring a bell? Yes, use common sense,
and don't knowingly spread toxic stuff into the wild. But for old tile,
or asbestos-shingle siding, etc. , just handle it carefully (ie, wet),
don't create dust, bag it well, and if somebody challenges you, play
dumb. IMHO, in many cases, 'abatement' is a racket and a license to steal.

Where do you think the asbestos goes from the abatement scams? ?Once it's
buried it doesn't matter. ?The issue is getting it to the dump safely. Plastic
bags work.- Hide quoted text -

The problem is that it's indestrucable. It will be there forever.

Dumbass, it's naturally occurring (it's a rock). It will be in the ground
forever in any case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:54:40 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On May 30, 3:18?am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
?Hell !!My cousin had a mason jar of that stuff that we played with. I
ain't dead yet !!
Maybe a little more stupid.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

One long term effect of mercury is that it affects the mental
processes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury...s_and_symptoms

So that's your problem, harry. Now it all makes sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote
Where do you think the asbestos goes from the abatement scams? �Once it's
buried it doesn't matter. �The issue is getting it to the dump safely.
Plastic
bags work.- Hide quoted text -

The problem is that it's indestrucable. It will be there forever.

So what? It was in the ground for millions of years, now it is back there
where it will do no harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

As a retired chemist, wide spread chemo-phobia is one of my pet peeves.
Like op said, as school kids, we would play with mercury. Lot of us have
silver/mercury fillings in our teeth. Today if you break a mercury
thermometer or cfl, they want to call in the EPA.

As kids we used to buy it at the drug store and keep it in a vial. We used
to play with it a lot, pushing it into small bb type sizes, and then pushing
it back to original size while moving it along the floor. We also used it to
shine coins and stuff. Never hurt us that I know of and I'm in my 60's now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. It will be there forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it was
put.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , HeyBub wrote:
harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. It will be there forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it was
put.

First, I would like to say that was well-put.

Second, I would like to say that printing inks are heavily based on
organic dyes - no chromium. (But some of the organic compounds used could
be things that the chemophobes would like to say are almost as toxic as
Agent Orange and DDT.)

Back to first - asbestos in the ground and plastic in the ground are
harmless.

Heck, most people who got horrible diseases from asbestos were
regularly/frequently inhaling visible clouds of asbestos fibers. That
sounds to me like hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of fibers per
cubic meter of air. This includes some of the housewives of the men who
worked in the "ground zero areas" of exposure to friable asbestos fibers,
who did the laundry work unto their husbands' clothes. Probably, some of
these housewives shook the clothes to shake off the portion of the dust
that was easy to shake off.

--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 6:03�pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:54:40 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
On May 30, 3:18?am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
?Hell !!My cousin had a mason jar of that stuff that we played with. I
ain't dead yet !!
Maybe a little more stupid.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

One �long term effect of mercury is that it affects the mental
processes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury...s_and_symptoms

So that's your problem, harry. �Now it all makes sense.

Ah, resort to abuse when you can't argue the facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 11:12�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. �It will be there forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it was
put.

No, it can find it's own way out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 3:31�am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , HeyBub wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

This is nonsense. The susceptabilty of people to asbestos related
disease is very variable. Theoretically a single fibre can cause lung
cancer. Some people working in industries with very heavy exposure
have not been affected. But there are many instances of people with
very minor exposure getting asbestos related diseases. There was a
case a few years back of a women was affected by washing her husband's
overalls.
The next one to look out for is glass wool insulation. As installed
in thousands of homes. I expect they'll deny that in America too.
The USA is years behind Europe in protecting it's population against
industrial disease. The first thing they do is deny it's existence.
All in pursuit of profit and the mighty dollar. Again the rich
exploite the poor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:

Heck, most people who got horrible diseases from asbestos were
regularly/frequently inhaling visible clouds of asbestos fibers. That
sounds to me like hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of fibers
per cubic meter of air. This includes some of the housewives of the
men who worked in the "ground zero areas" of exposure to friable
asbestos fibers, who did the laundry work unto their husbands'
clothes. Probably, some of these housewives shook the clothes to
shake off the portion of the dust that was easy to shake off.

I recall a statement that there has been no illness related to the
commercial use of asbestos. By commercial use I mean brake pads, insulation,
flooring and other building materials, and so on. Further "commercial use"
means the manufacture, transportation, installation, use, or removal.

The problem with asbestos has been traced exclusively in the mining of the
mineral.

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

forever in any case.- Hide quoted text -

When it was in it's originally place, the geology had stabilised over
millions of years. Once you bury it in a manmade hole that is not the
case.

Clueless.

It could be accidently disturbed, flooding could expose it,
excavations for building work , it can contaminate ground water.etc.

Absolutely clueless.

Buried industrial waste ia a problem even today.

Not asbestos, dumbass.

Not to mention the extensive contamination of the sites where it was
mined from.

*TWEET!!* Time out for shifting of the goal posts.

There are vast amounts of construction waste
contaminated with asbestos and vast amounts still in buildings that
will be a problem for years to come, especially where to dispose of
it. Do you want it buried in your neighbourhood?

In any landfill, certainly. Go ahead.

What a dumbass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. ?It will be there forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it was
put.

No, it can find it's own way out.

Idiot. Sealing in place is the preferred method of abating most asbestos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2010 04:50:10 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On May 30, 6:03?pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:54:40 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
On May 30, 3:18?am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
?Hell !!My cousin had a mason jar of that stuff that we played with. I
ain't dead yet !!
Maybe a little more stupid.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

One ?long term effect of mercury is that it affects the mental
processes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury...s_and_symptoms

So that's your problem, harry. ?Now it all makes sense.

Ah, resort to abuse when you can't argue the facts.

Dumbass. I *was* stating the facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

You are crazy. I was NOT exposed to the dust cloud.
Salt is dangerous to your health too. SHould all use of sodium
chloride be banned just because too much is bad? Asbestos of certain
kinds is dangerous, but probably glass fibers too. You don't know
how unhealthy your life is!

There are those who believe salt is a killer (Mayor Bloomberg, the FDA, and
the FTC to name three).

Who are you to disagree with your betters?

And, by the way, too much salt is not bad. It is simply excreted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:21:14 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Han wrote:

You are crazy. I was NOT exposed to the dust cloud.
Salt is dangerous to your health too. SHould all use of sodium
chloride be banned just because too much is bad? Asbestos of certain
kinds is dangerous, but probably glass fibers too. You don't know
how unhealthy your life is!

There are those who believe salt is a killer (Mayor Bloomberg, the FDA, and
the FTC to name three).

Who are you to disagree with your betters?

And, by the way, too much salt is not bad. It is simply excreted.

So long as you're perfectly healthy. It does put pressure on several systems,
though, and is deadly to some. Thre is no good reason to heavily salt
*everything*.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:

You are crazy. I was NOT exposed to the dust cloud.
Salt is dangerous to your health too. SHould all use of sodium
chloride be banned just because too much is bad? Asbestos of certain
kinds is dangerous, but probably glass fibers too. You don't know
how unhealthy your life is!

There are those who believe salt is a killer (Mayor Bloomberg, the
FDA, and the FTC to name three).

Who are you to disagree with your betters?

And, by the way, too much salt is not bad. It is simply excreted.

When a kid, a sneaked a good spoon of what I thought was sugar. It was
salt, and it did make me throw up.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
harry wrote:

On May 31, 12:28=EF=BF=BDpm, Han wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote =

isty.com:

This includes some of the housewives of the men who
worked in the "ground zero areas" of exposure to friable asbestos
fibers, who did the laundry work unto their husbands' clothes.
Probably, some of these housewives shook the clothes to shake off the
portion of the dust that was easy to shake off.

I don't think I had any exposure to the dust cloud, but after reaching
Hoboken on the ferry from 38th Street on 9/11/01 I was given a shower to
rinse away any loose fibers on my clothes. =EF=BF=BDSitting on the train
home in my wet clothes was a tad chilly.

Your clothes should have been taken away. You may well have
introduced the fibres to your home. Showering won't remove asbestos
fibres from textiles.

Showering will merely fail to remove all of them. It will still remove
most of the ones that landed there earlier that day. Showering will make
the situation much less bad than the mere worst day of a heavily impacted
shipyard worker's housewife, let alone probably under 1% of that shipyarder
housewife's lifetime exposure and her house's lifetime exposure.

It's appalling that asbestos was used in those buildings at all. At
the time of their erection the dangers were well known.

What I heard more was that the WTC structural steel was coated with an
alternative to asbestos, and if asbestos was used there instead then the
building collapsings would not have occurred until at least 4 hours after
the fires started.

But in America they went right on ahead using asbestos. It was cheaper.
No wonder you all have such short , unhealthy lives. What else goes on
you don't know about? Do you think your gov. will tell you? No, the
truth will have to be screwed out of them.

Americans have long unhealthy lives, due to lack of exercise, excessive
calorie consumption, excessive consumption of saturated and trans fats,
and insufficient consumption of fiber and veggies, excessive rate of
driving aggressively and/or intoxicated and/or without seatbelts,
sunbathing/major-deliberate-suntanning, and willingness to pay for the
medical science to fix what ails them.

It appears to me that chemicals that were not in the Garden of Eden (or
that the luddites don't know or don't like to know actually did exist in
the Garden of Eden or wherever the first humans walked and bred) aren't
nearly as much of a problem as unhealthy lifestyles. I would worry much
more about unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as smoking, sedentary
lifestyle, poor diet, excessive use of recreational drugs, unsafe driving,
and "living by the sword" (or gun).
At least if your job is not being blasted with high exposure to
dangerous substances!

--
- Don , )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
harry wrote:

I snip to what Harry just wrote, in expectation that he said enough

When it was in it's originally place, the geology had stabilised over
millions of years. Once you bury it in a manmade hole that is not the
case. It could be accidently disturbed, flooding could expose it,
excavations for building work , it can contaminate ground water.etc.
Buried industrial waste ia a problem even today.
Not to mention the extensive contamination of the sites where it was
mined from. There are vast amounts of construction waste
contaminated with asbestos and vast amounts still in buildings that
will be a problem for years to come, especially where to dispose of
it. Do you want it buried in your neighbourhood?

Put hazardous waste in a manmade hole well into a rock formation with a
50-milion-year-plus track record of stability, and I would not worry about
it.

If the waste was asbestos or plastic products, then the requirement is
even milder. Bury it where there is low expectation of the rubbish being
outright unearthed by earthquakes. Asbestos is only bad to those who
inhale it and has a high rate of being bad only for those who inhale
substantial quantities of it (mostly as in visible clouds). Plastic
products are *at-least* pretty-much only bad to what eats them.

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
harry wrote:

On May 30, 11:12=EF=BF=BDpm, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. =EF=BF=BDIt will be there
forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate

and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it
was put.

No, it can find it's own way out.

How? Asbestos fibers are inanimate mineral objects. They are not
worms that worm their way from underground to your lungs.

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
harry wrote:

On May 31, 3:31=EF=BF=BDam, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , HeyBub wrote

:
harry wrote:

[...]

Like a cascaded two cosmic rays or a cascaded two photons of UVB
ultraviolet in sunlight/daylight or smoking 1/4 of 1 cigarette.

Some people working in industries with very heavy exposure
have not been affected. But there are many instances of people with
very minor exposure getting asbestos related diseases. There was a
case a few years back of a women was affected by washing her husband's
overalls.

Probably this means there is only one case or a few cases of a housewife
of heavily exposed husband coming down with asbestos-related disease.
The one/few impacted housewife(s) probably at more than one occaision
inhaled visible clouds of the stuff.

The next one to look out for is glass wool insulation. As installed
in thousands of homes. I expect they'll deny that in America too.
The USA is years behind Europe in protecting it's population against
industrial disease. The first thing they do is deny it's existence.
All in pursuit of profit and the mighty dollar. Again the rich
exploite the poor.

You are getting me into a good mood to agree with whoever said in
whatever newsgroup quite a few years ago that "in my words" (I disclaim
word-for-word accuracy) "fiberglass is about to be considered as-bad-as
(or worse than) asbestos 'never was'".

Not that I doubt that *Bad Stuff* happened to those who spent many days
with multiple hours breathing visible clouds of friable asbestos. Nor do
I doubt that a few housewives of the worst-impacted asbestos workers had
*bad things* happen to them. But I still see asbestos and many other
carcinogens being overblown by orders of magnitude.
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 1:07�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Don Klipstein wrote:

[...]

You are a complete fool. There are thousands of documented cases of
asbestos related diseases in the UK alone. You spout your crap with
no refence to the facts.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestos.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos#1950s

Capitalists in the USA are trying to downplay the asbestos hazard
because they know that once the truth is out they will be sued. As is
your wont over there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. ?It will be there forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it was
put.

No, it can find it's own way out.

Idiot. �Sealing in place is the preferred method of abating most asbestos.- Hide quoted text -

Temporarily. Just puts off the problem. Hoping it will be someone
else's problem by then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 1:21�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Han wrote:

You are crazy. �I was NOT exposed to the dust cloud.
Salt is dangerous to your health too. �SHould all use of sodium
chloride be banned just because too much is bad? �Asbestos of certain
kinds is dangerous, but probably glass fibers too. �You don't know
how unhealthy your life is!

There are those who believe salt is a killer (Mayor Bloomberg, the FDA, and
the FTC to name three).

Who are you to disagree with your betters?

And, by the way, too much salt is not bad. It is simply excreted.

I spent twenty years in organising asbestos removal. What is your
experience? Nil I expect. Just a big mouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 5:59�am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

harry wrote:

The problem is that it's indestrucable. =EF=BF=BDIt will be there
forever.

That's good.

The Chromium in the dyes used to color a box of Tide will, when the empty
box is placed in a landfill, detach itself from the decomposed substrate

and
(possibly) leech into the water system where it will poison your
great-grandchildren.

Asbestos, and the like, does not need to be trained to stay where it
was put.

No, it can find it's own way out.

� How? �Asbestos fibers are inanimate mineral objects. �They are not
worms that worm their way from underground to your lungs.

--
�- Don Klipstein )- Hide quoted text -

The fibres can (and have) escaped from industrial waste sites in the
recent past. Nowadays more care is taken.
Think of it this way,
People worry about burying radio-active waste with a half life of
30,000 years.
With asbestos it's forever.
They both can cause lung cancer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:19�am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

harry wrote:

[...]

That is because you're iin America where only money counts. All this
stuff has been documented for years. Some has been known or more than
a hundred years.
Yes. you're that far out of touch in the USA. The rest of the world
is far head of you.
Once again:-
http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

[...]

Once again:-http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestos.htm- Hide quoted text -

Bit here about glass fibres and lungs. Heavy going but seems there may
well be a problem.
Don't read this Beezebub. It's way over you head.
http://www.saffil.com/fibre.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

[...]

Bit here about lungs and fibres . Seems there may well be a problem.
http://www.saffil.com/fibre.htm

Don't read this beelzebub, it's way over your head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:21?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Han wrote:

You are crazy. ?I was NOT exposed to the dust cloud.
Salt is dangerous to your health too. ?SHould all use of sodium
chloride be banned just because too much is bad? ?Asbestos of
certain kinds is dangerous, but probably glass fibers too. ?You
don't know how unhealthy your life is!

There are those who believe salt is a killer (Mayor Bloomberg, the
FDA, and the FTC to name three).

Who are you to disagree with your betters?

And, by the way, too much salt is not bad. It is simply excreted.

I spent twenty years in organising asbestos removal. What is your
experience? Nil I expect. Just a big mouth.

Cool. Twenty years in a totally worthless endeavor.

And you got PAID for it!

Outstanding. You adequately demonstrated the American Axiom: "Never let a
fool keep his money."

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,5144107.story

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

A Baltimore fire department spokesman says more than a dozen people at
a Baltimore school have been isolated after broken thermometers
prompted concerns about the mercury inside.

They will probably monitor their health for the next 20 years now.

At a school not far from here, it was discovered the near 100 year old
building had asbestos in the ceilings. So they had an emergency
evacuation and closed the school until it was removed months later. Good
thing they did not wait another 90 minutes to the end of the school day
to send the kids home.

As a retired chemist, wide spread chemo-phobia is one of my pet peeves.
Like op said, as school kids, we would play with mercury. Lot of us have
silver/mercury fillings in our teeth. Today if you break a mercury
thermometer or cfl, they want to call in the EPA.

Same for asbestos. Sure, fibers breathed into your lungs can cause a
problem but asbestos is not going to jump off pipes or insulation and
attack you.

I remember reading something about a young woman who was a scientist
working for the EPA who discovered that only one type of asbestos
fiber was dangerous. She was told to keep her mouth shut because the
people in charge might get slaughtered by everyone who had to spend
billions of dollars unnecessarily. Perhaps it's a myth?

TDD

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Probably. Americans seem to thrive on myths rather than facts.

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

It wasn't a myth when America saved your asses in WW2. If it wasn't for
America, you'd be speaking German and licking their boots.

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

No, harry would more likely be speaking Russian in some camp in Siberia, if he
were really lucky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
harry wrote in small part:

I spent twenty years in organising asbestos removal.

I think that small part says enough to many of the actually intelligent
minds here to read this!

--
- Don Klipstein )

Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

[...]

America, you'd be speaking German and licking their boots.- Hide quoted text -

I wondered when this would crop up.
If it wasn't for Russia, we'd both be speaking German.
You did not save our arses. You were forced into WW2 when Hitler
declared war on you, right after the pearl harbour attack. Get your
facts right. And you could not have made any contribution at all
except for us.
John Wayne did not win WW2. Boeing did not invent the jet engine. And
Bill Gates did not invent computers.
Go and get educated. Oh and BTW Hollywood is not an educational
establish ment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 4:16�am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,
harry wrote in small part:

I spent twenty years in organising asbestos removal.

� I think that small part says enough to many of the actually intelligent
minds here to read this!

--
�- Don Klipstein )

It means I know the dangers of asbestos as I have. kept in touch with
emerging facts over the years. It was a small part of my job.
Not just spouted drivel based on ignorance.

A tale of two boilers... Terry Fields UK diy 21 January 9th 10 09:20 PM
My (s)crappy tale o' woe! Arch Woodturning 8 August 5th 08 11:52 PM
MFI (a cautionary tale) R UK diy 22 August 5th 05 07:37 PM
A tale of nothingness Paulie Points Home Repair 21 April 20th 05 01:34 AM