Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT A tale of two webpages, both from the same city

On Mon, 31 May 2010 04:49:18 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On May 30, 6:03?pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:50:43 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
On May 30, 5:22?pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:09:17 -0400, aemeijers wrote:
George wrote:
On 5/29/2010 11:14 AM, N8N wrote:
On May 29, 8:05 am, ?wrote:
On 5/29/2010 7:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

?wrote in message
om...
OT A tale of two webpages, both from Baltimore City

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...ary-hazmat-201...

City school staff, students isolated after thermometer break
More than a dozen held on concerns of mercury exposure
Associated Press 9:47 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2010

A Baltimore fire department spokesman says more than a dozen people at
a Baltimore school have been isolated after broken thermometers
prompted concerns about the mercury inside.

They will probably monitor their health for the next 20 years now.

At a school not far from here, it was discovered the near 100 year old
building had asbestos in the ceilings. So they had an emergency
evacuation and closed the school until it was removed months later.
Good
thing they did not wait another 90 minutes to the end of the school day
to send the kids home.

Unfortunately this is the kind of shy is falling in stuff that really
discredits (and rightly so) these government agencies.

Someone I know is replacing one of their business locations with a new
building. One of the procedures for tearing down the old small one story
building was to get some sort of hazardous materials permit. Some
inspector had to be hired and he found that a 5x5' (yes, 25 sq ft)
office had floor tiles that "may contain asbestos". So it cost $3,800
and delayed the project by two weeks until the proper outfit which was
rated to handle the highly dangerous non-friable asbestos could be
hired.

Hmm, I guess I probably shouldn't have just scraped up the old stick-
on tiles in my laundry room and put the pieces in a plastic bag then.
(yes, I did it wet, made it easier to get them up off the floor.

nate

I believe they will declare anywhere within a 5 mile radius of your
house a class I environmental disaster area if they find out...

Does 'shoot, shovel, and shut up' ring a bell? Yes, use common sense,
and don't knowingly spread toxic stuff into the wild. But for old tile,
or asbestos-shingle siding, etc. , just handle it carefully (ie, wet),
don't create dust, bag it well, and if somebody challenges you, play
dumb. IMHO, in many cases, 'abatement' is a racket and a license to steal.

Where do you think the asbestos goes from the abatement scams? ?Once it's
buried it doesn't matter. ?The issue is getting it to the dump safely. Plastic
bags work.- Hide quoted text -

The problem is that it's indestrucable. ?It will be there forever.

Dumbass, it's naturally occurring (it's a rock). ?It will be in the ground
forever in any case.- Hide quoted text -

When it was in it's originally place, the geology had stabilised over
millions of years. Once you bury it in a manmade hole that is not the
case.

Clueless.

It could be accidently disturbed, flooding could expose it,
excavations for building work , it can contaminate ground water.etc.

Absolutely clueless.

Buried industrial waste ia a problem even today.

Not asbestos, dumbass.

Not to mention the extensive contamination of the sites where it was
mined from.

*TWEET!!* Time out for shifting of the goal posts.

There are vast amounts of construction waste
contaminated with asbestos and vast amounts still in buildings that
will be a problem for years to come, especially where to dispose of
it. Do you want it buried in your neighbourhood?

In any landfill, certainly. Go ahead.

What a dumbass.