Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric motor struggles to start up

Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:59:03 -0700, Darro wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 19, 9:59*am, Darro wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.
snip

The bearings have gone dry and are starting to seize. The fan may
revive and work for time if you manage to lube the bearings with a
light machine oil. There are usually no provisions for oiling bearings
on typical low cost fans like this, so plan on an early replacement.
Some oil may work into the bearings if you place a few drops on the
shaft while it is vertical. Others have drilled small holes in the
rear bering housing to add oil. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Darro typed:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my
favorite desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to
rotate (while the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually
only very slowly and for just a few moments before they
stall completely. However, I can usually get the propeller
rotating steadily at full speed by quickly rotating it by
hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

I usually manage to get a few more year's life out of such fans by taking
the blades off and laying it down on the bench horizontally. That's assuming
there are no oil ports, of course.

Use WD-40 squirted around the shaft so it'll drip down into the bearing
area.
Run the fan for a few minutes.
Repeat.
Turn the fan other side up and repeat the above.
The rotor should spin freely when you're done. If not, repeat the process,
perhaps letting a puddle of WD-40 laying around the rotor and let it soak in
overnight. Another night for the other side.
Then repeat the initial steps, both sides.

When the rotor will spin freely, next apply a thin oil like sewing machine
oil or 3-in-1 oil to the bearings same as you did with the WD-40.
You have to do this because WD40 is NOT an oil; it temporarily sort of
lubricates, but it also evaporates and you soon have dry bearings again. If
the oxidation is minor, and it likely is, this might get you quite a bit
more use out of it.
When you're satisfied you got the oil into the bearings on both ends of
the motor, reassemble and enjoy. Oh, and store sensibly when not in use.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

Try blowing out the motor with a can of air. Perhaps there is
dust/lint, etc. in the housing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found to dissemble, clean (brake cleaner spray works nicely).
Relube with zoom spout turbine oil.

Oils such as sewing machine, three in one, or WD-40 tend to dry up and
stop working in a few weeks or months.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. One more vote for sewing machine oil. How long does that last,
for you?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 10:05:40 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:59:03 -0700, Darro wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.

99.9999% sure it has no commutator or brushes. Because about 99.99999%
of fans don't (except blower motors in automotive heating and
airconditioning systems - which are technically blowers, not fans.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:37:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hmm. One more vote for sewing machine oil. How long does that last, for
you?

Well, depends on duty cycle... somewhere around a year IME, though. Buys
you time to source a replacement, but that's pretty much it.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2010 5:36 AM Jules Richardson spake thus:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:37:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmm. One more vote for sewing machine oil. How long does that last, for
you?

Well, depends on duty cycle... somewhere around a year IME, though. Buys
you time to source a replacement, but that's pretty much it.

Why replacement? If it starts slowing down again, just shoot some more
oil in them bearings.

My guess is it'll last a lot longer than the nay-sayers here say it
will. I've done this many times--rescue sluggish motors by lubricating
them--and usually they for for *years* before needing attention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:31:13 -0400, Tony

wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:59:03 -0700, Darro wrote:
Hi,
Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?
how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.

99.9999% sure it has no commutator or brushes. Because about 99.99999%
of fans don't (except blower motors in automotive heating and
airconditioning systems - which are technically blowers, not fans.)

If automobiles had an AC system instead of DC, then they too would have
no commutator or brushes. But they don't. So they do.

And a great number of "DC" motors don't have brushes either. But they
are on higher end equipment than car blower fans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:36:02 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:37:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hmm. One more vote for sewing machine oil. How long does that last, for
you?

Well, depends on duty cycle... somewhere around a year IME, though. Buys
you time to source a replacement, but that's pretty much it.

cheers

Jules

The 1958 SeaBreeze fan I "resurrected" about 6 years ago with SM oil
is still going strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2010 4:08 PM Tony spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/19/2010 7:31 PM Tony spake thus:

wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?
how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.

99.9999% sure it has no commutator or brushes. Because about 99.99999%
of fans don't (except blower motors in automotive heating and
airconditioning systems - which are technically blowers, not fans.)

If automobiles had an AC system instead of DC, then they too would
have no commutator or brushes. But they don't. So they do.

Where do you get "automobiles" from any of this? The other person said
*except* automotive heating & AC.

OP described the motor as belonging to a "desktop" fan. Therefore a
common garden-variety induction motor, therefore no brushes. Sheesh.

Sheesh yourself, what is the big deal? I was commenting on why the
blower fans in autos have brushes.

OK; I guess my trigger's been set pretty low lately, as there seems to
be more than the usual Usenet bull**** flying around.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Darro wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

About this time off the year I take most of my fans apart, then clean
and oil the shafts. I have a couple of fans that are over 25 years old
still going strong. A few of them are the small cheap clip on ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll get over it. OK, I'm over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

Just an update to my inquiry....

After lubricating the motor shaft with sewing machine oil, my favorite
fan works perfectly again. I intend to do this every so often to keep
it running for as long as possible.
A big thank-you to everyone who took the time to help me get my fan
going again.

Cheers,
Darro

Soft-Start for 1400W electric motor Rob UK diy 9 December 12th 08 12:02 PM
Motor start cap John Rumm UK diy 16 June 20th 08 10:41 PM
What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor? Zoubidoo Home Repair 5 May 8th 06 11:16 AM
Motor won't start JimKephart Woodturning 4 September 22nd 04 02:31 AM
Kenmore dryer 2002 Push to start will start motor but will not stay on. Doug Home Repair 2 August 18th 04 11:32 PM