Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Electric motor struggles to start up

wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:31:13 -0400, Tony

On Wed, 19 May 2010 10:05:40 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:59:03 -0700, Darro wrote:
Hi,
Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?
how are the bearings? Does it turn freely? use sewing machine oil
for lubrication. use wd40 if you want to ruin it.

are the brushes and commutator visible? signs of wear?

If it's a cheap POS, you should just replace it.
99.9999% sure it has no commutator or brushes. Because about 99.99999%
of fans don't (except blower motors in automotive heating and
airconditioning systems - which are technically blowers, not fans.)

If automobiles had an AC system instead of DC, then they too would have
no commutator or brushes. But they don't. So they do.

And a great number of "DC" motors don't have brushes either. But they
are on higher end equipment than car blower fans.

Yes, I have a few in my PC!