Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Electric motor struggles to start up

On May 19, 9:59*am, Darro wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my favorite
desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to rotate (while
the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually only very slowly and for
just a few moments before they stall completely. However, I can
usually get the propeller rotating steadily at full speed by quickly
rotating it by hand several times right after I switch on the fan.
snip

The bearings have gone dry and are starting to seize. The fan may
revive and work for time if you manage to lube the bearings with a
light machine oil. There are usually no provisions for oiling bearings
on typical low cost fans like this, so plan on an early replacement.
Some oil may work into the bearings if you place a few drops on the
shaft while it is vertical. Others have drilled small holes in the
rear bering housing to add oil. Good luck.

Joe