Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default Electric motor struggles to start up

In ,
Darro typed:
Hi,

Is there anything I can do to get the electric motor for my
favorite desktop fan to start up properly again?

When I turn on the fan, the motor axle/propeller try to
rotate (while the motor hums), but if they do, it's usually
only very slowly and for just a few moments before they
stall completely. However, I can usually get the propeller
rotating steadily at full speed by quickly rotating it by
hand several times right after I switch on the fan.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

I usually manage to get a few more year's life out of such fans by taking
the blades off and laying it down on the bench horizontally. That's assuming
there are no oil ports, of course.

Use WD-40 squirted around the shaft so it'll drip down into the bearing
area.
Run the fan for a few minutes.
Repeat.
Turn the fan other side up and repeat the above.
The rotor should spin freely when you're done. If not, repeat the process,
perhaps letting a puddle of WD-40 laying around the rotor and let it soak in
overnight. Another night for the other side.
Then repeat the initial steps, both sides.

When the rotor will spin freely, next apply a thin oil like sewing machine
oil or 3-in-1 oil to the bearings same as you did with the WD-40.
You have to do this because WD40 is NOT an oil; it temporarily sort of
lubricates, but it also evaporates and you soon have dry bearings again. If
the oxidation is minor, and it likely is, this might get you quite a bit
more use out of it.
When you're satisfied you got the oil into the bearings on both ends of
the motor, reassemble and enjoy. Oh, and store sensibly when not in use.

HTH,

Twayne`