Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I get rid of a bird?

Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:42*am, mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. *Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? *I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

Is it a starling or a woodpecker? If it's a starling, you can google
traps made of a vertical pipe made to look like a birdhouse, except
that it is too deep for it to escape from.

But, it'd probably be easier to kill it with a quiet air rifle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And it might be spooked by this:

http://www.google.com/products?q=owl...ing&hl=en&aq=f
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2010 12:42 PM, mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

We had the same problem for several years until we finally found a solution.
Our offender WAS a woodpecker. As I understand it, they are not only marking
their territory, they are trying to get small insects under the flashing and the
edges of the adjacent shingles to reveal themselves so that the bird can have
breakfast.

Our solution after the first time it happened last year was to use some home and
garden insect spray in the immediate area. After a few days of getting no
further reward for its efforts, the bird gave up and went in search of another
place to find food.

If you don't have access to the roof, you may just have to wait it out. In our
experience, if you do nothing, the bird will stop after a month or so when it
gets too hot on the roof for the insects to survive the intense mid-day sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

Hit the hardware store or garden center for some Tanglefoot. It's a
semi-solid castor oil. Sticky, goopy stuff. Birds won't go near it for
fear of getting stuck in it. Smear it on/around the roof vent. Over
time, it'll eventually pick up enough dust and dirt that it won't be
sticky anymore (takes months), but when that happens you can wipe it
off and re-apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You really need to figure out what kind of bird you're talking about,
and why it finds your roof so interesting. If it's a grackle or a
starling, you can download some sounds of hawks and play those when
the bird gets near. A twenty dollar owl replica also can dissuade
them for a while. These are only permanent if the bird doesn't have a
vested interest in returning, as they will eventually learn to ignore
the owl or hawk sounds, and come back if there's a good reason.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-27, mike wrote:

Suspect he's marking his territory.

Nope! Jes dumber'n a bag o' hammers.

We had a woodpecker that molested our alum tv antenna pole last
Summer. Same thing. It's like birds that build mud nests on cliffs
above and below the high water line. The one's that build below do
not pass on their genes. Darwin called it natural selection. You
probably won't see that crow next year. The tv pole pecker is
also predictably absent, this year.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 11:42*am, mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. *Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? *I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

How about copper or plastic projectiles? A BB gun is much less lethal
than a real gun but will kill a small bird.

Our neighbor's son has one of those plastic machine guns that shoots
about .25 plastic pellets at a fairly high delivery rate. It might
not kill a bird but frequent use might make life uncomfortable enough
to run him off.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 12:42*pm, mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. *Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? *I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

I used to work in an office complex that was bothered by Turkey
Vultures. They'd land right on your window sill while you trying to
have a meeting. Talk about a distraction!

The maintenance folks put up poles with foil streamers on the roofs.
Apparently the Vultures don't like shiny, wavey things.

They went away for the rest of the spring and summer and then came
back the next spring after the streamers had disappeared during the
winter. The maintenance folks put up poles with foil streamers on the
roofs and they left again.

The following spring *I* left, so I don't know how many times they
repeated that cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 11:42*am, mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. *Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? *I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

Try coating/spraying the pipe with spray-on automobile undercoating.
It's a sticky stuff that the birds don't mess with. I have used it
with great success.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 11:42 am, mike wrote:
[...]

They are called "air soft" B B's and gun and would be worthless at the
distance we are talking about...Get a real pellet gun and be done with
it...You can get one at Wal-Mart for under 50 bucks...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
DerbyDad03 typed:
On Apr 27, 12:42 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

I've heard a plastic, life sized Owl will run a lot of birds off. Never
tried it in your situation but it helped our garden when we had it. We used
4 of them for a garden about 60' x 25'.

Sounds like a job for a good search engine, actually.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. Was it the shiny foil that drove you away, or the water
cooler gossip? Did someone shoot you with plastic bullets?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

The following spring *I* left, so I don't know how many
times they
repeated that cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
In ,
DerbyDad03 typed:
On Apr 27, 12:42 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

Might be simpler to rig some sort of wire cage over the vent so the bird
cannot light near enough to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 27, 12:56*pm, mike wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:42*am, mike wrote:

[...]

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do I scare him off? *I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

Run a wire up to it and hook it up to a switch. when he starts
pecking flip the switch and give him 110 volts. He won't come back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Apr 27, 12:56 pm, mike wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:42 am, mike wrote:

[...]

Wrap the vent in that spongy stuff they sell for putting under ridge
shingles to make a ridge vent? Or even in that peel'n'stick ice dam
protector? You are right, he is looking for a mate. I get the same
problem on the tin at the top of my wooden chimney stack. (Not to
mention the woodpecker thinking the mushy OSB is a rotten tree, and
making holes in it...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

If you can access his pecking point (no pun intended), you can wrap some
"hardware" cloth around it at enough distance that he can't get his bill all
the way to the metal. Other than that, read other suggestions .........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me... Suspect he's marking his territory.

He is drumming up (sex) trade, and has identified your metal
vent as the noisiest in his territory. You can expect this to
continue for about a month. If you shot this one, it seems
likely another would take over his territory and might make
the same identification. If earplugs do not help enough, you
could try to interest some nearby college that teaches
ornithology.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 5:15*pm, Ron wrote:
On Apr 27, 12:56*pm, mike wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:42*am, mike wrote:

[...]

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.- Hide quoted text -

Same as a bug or a rat. Grow up, libtard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote the following:
Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Find out where they are getting in and seal it.
I found out how chipmunks were getting into the soffits of my pool
house. I had vinyl siding and they were crawling up the hollow corner
pieces which extended into the soffit. I shoved some SS scrubbing pads
up into the bottom of the corner pieces, then sprayed some expanding
foam inside it to keep it in there. No more chipmunks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:05:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Are they Mexican?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 28, 2:50*pm, mike wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:15*pm, Ron wrote:

On Apr 27, 12:56*pm, mike wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:42*am, mike wrote:

[...]

It's NOT the same, ****tard.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 28, 3:05*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. *Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Please point out to me where I said to do NOTHING.

I had squirrels in my attic once also, I blocked off their access.
Hello?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 28, 6:48*pm, willshak wrote:
Steve B wrote the following:

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. *Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Find out where they are getting in and seal it.

He'd rather shoot holes in his roof trying to hit the squirrels. lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Every morning shortly after dawn, a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent. Of course,
he picks the one that vents the bathrooms, so the racket
reverberates all over the house...and wakes the dead...that'd
be me...
He pecks, looks around, repeats a few times then moves on to
the next house.
Suspect he's marking his territory.

I'm in the city, so the obvious solution involving lead projectiles
is not an option.

How do I scare him off? I'm not above killing the little pecker.
A sound-activated stun gun sounds like a fun project.
Suggestions?

Well, you know the black ones have bigger peckers and like to
show what they can do with them.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
And it might be spooked by this:

http://www.google.com/products?q=owl...ing&hl=en&aq=f

A customer of mine had problems with pigeons on the roof
of his deli so he put up an owl decoy and when I climbed
on the roof to check his AC unit, I found a pigeon screwing
the decoy.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!

The sound of a projectile passing over empty air spaces.
Several of them.

It was a joke, son. A joke, ahhhh said.

-Foghorn Leghorn-

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 3:05 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Please point out to me where I said to do NOTHING.

I had squirrels in my attic once also, I blocked off their access.
Hello?

Reply: Yes. Go ahead. What are you calling about?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 29, 12:38*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. *Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! *WHOOSH!

The sound of a projectile passing over empty air spaces.
Several of them.

It was a joke, son. *A joke, ahhhh said.

-Foghorn Leghorn-

Steve

There is a "whoosh" alright, in your head, since you are speaking to
yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 29, 12:40*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

On Apr 28, 3:05 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

Please point out to me where I said to do NOTHING.

I had squirrels in my attic once also, I blocked off their access.
Hello?

Reply: *Yes. *Go ahead. *What are you calling about?

Steve

Looks to me like you really do have squirrels in your "attic".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote:

a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent.

Go to HD or Lowe's and get a piece of plastic pipe about 4
inches longer than the vent sticks up above the roof, and
with an interior diameter about 1-2" greater than the
exterior diameter of the vent. Place the plastic pipe over
the vent. Bird can't get to the metal, and the plastic pipe
won't interfere with the vent operation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yeah, kill an innocent bird for living it's life....sheesh.-

I have squirrels in my attic. Should I do anything, or just move out and
let them have the WHOLE house?

Steve

WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!
WHOOSH! WHOOSH!

The sound of a projectile passing over empty air spaces.
Several of them.

It was a joke, son. A joke, ahhhh said.

-Foghorn Leghorn-

Steve

There is a "whoosh" alright, in your head, since you are speaking to
yourself.

REPLY: You really still don't get it, do you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

"mike" wrote:

a big black bird does a
woodpecker imitation on my metal roof vent.

Go to HD or Lowe's and get a piece of plastic pipe about 4
inches longer than the vent sticks up above the roof, and
with an interior diameter about 1-2" greater than the
exterior diameter of the vent. Place the plastic pipe over
the vent. Bird can't get to the metal, and the plastic pipe
won't interfere with the vent operation.

don't think lowes has pipe that big.
http://ventmastersstore.com/shop/images/RV51brown.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote:

don't think lowes has pipe that big.
http://ventmastersstore.com/shop/images/RV51brown.JPG

Yes, I see your point. My faulty assumption that your vents
were like mine. My vents are all circular pipes under 4" in
diameter, sticking up less than 12" above the roof.

Here is my revised recommendation: Acquire (yard sale,
friendly grocery clerk, etc.) what is called, around here, a
"milk carton". Typically they have inside dimensions of 14"
in one direction, and perhaps as much as 18" in the other
direction. They stand about a foot tall. I believe one of
them, turned upside down, would cover your (pictured) vent.
These cartons have mesh-like sides and bottom, so air will
flow freely. They are sturdy, so you don't have to worry
about them melting in the sun or being crushed under snow.
Around here they are even available in a variety of colors,
but most of them are black or gray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I goofed. When I wrote my previous message, using the term
"milk carton" I should have said "milk crate" as far as
Southern California common usage is concerned. Sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

There is nothing to "get". You thought your "joke" was so funny, that
you responded to yourself. Now THAT is funny!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 29, 10:38*pm, "CWLee" wrote:
"mike" wrote:
[...]