Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing dishwasher when Laminate Flooring runs right up to it

Hi,

We're in the final days of having our new house built with the first
walk through scheduled for later this week, but one thing I wasn't
sure about is the dishwasher and laminate flooring. The dishwasher
sits on the concrete and the laminate flooring in the kitchen runs
right up to the dishwasher -- dishwasher was installed before
flooring. There's no gap between the top of the dishwasher and the
bottom of the counter top, so my worry is that the dishwasher won't be
able to be removed without pulling up the counter top or flooring.

In an email to the builder he said it would come out, which I'll have
him demo when we do the walk through, but I wanted to do some research
before then as well. I know it's not their first rodeo so I assume
I'm just not seeing the 'trick' to getting it out, but with the
dishwasher being so snug in there I'm just not seeing how to get it
out when it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Thanks for any advise.

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47*pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

Most dishwashers have adjustable feet near the front. When these get
raised the DW should come out with no problem.

They look tight when all of the trim is installed but the piece at the
bottom is adjustable to match the finished floor height. The top near
the counter is higher than the body of the DW so once that clears the
bottom of the counter you'll have plenty of clearance.

This picture shows a side view where you can see that they are smaller
on the inside.
http://www.single-family-home-remode...nket-large.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
[...]

It can come out with little more work. Leveling legs can be lowered and
it can slide out over the laminate top. Any how that is years from now.
After 15 years oue DW is still running good.(knock on the wood!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47*pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

This is a new house? I'm surprised the builder did it like that. Much
easier to put flooring first, then cabinets and appliances on top.
But as others have said, it can come out wih a little work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 2:41*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Apr 26, 12:47*pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

But as others have said, it can come out wih a little work.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah but the builder could save maybe $63 by not putting the flooring
down first...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47*pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

I've never had a house built, so this is new to me.

Are you saying that other builders would have put laminate flooring
throughout the kitchen before the base cabinets were installed and
then put the cabinets on top of that? Wouldn't that be a waste of a
lot of laminate flooring?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
[...]

How thick is your laminate flooring? As others have said, if it is not
much you can adjust the legs on the dishwasher to allow it to clear the
opening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47 pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

First, if they are doing a really nice job, the time they save putting
down flooring first (no cutting to fit against the cabinet bases...)
Would almost pay for the extra flooring.

Second, the finished look is much better when putting cabinets on top of
the flooring.

Also I've seen more than once where they put the flooring down just
enough for the front of the cabinets to sit on, then use scraps under
the back of the cabinets to keep them level. Very little waste and a
nicer looking job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
On Apr 26, 12:47 pm, wrote:
[...]

Men walking all over the new floor doing their work. Installing
cabinets, what not. Think about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47 pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

nicer looking job.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, that's how we did the floor when we tiled. We figured out the
center, laid the tiles about 3 inches over where the appliances and
cabinets would start, and then used tile scraps in the back corners of
each cabinet. The appliances had adjustable back feet for leveling.
Not exactly rocket science and it looks great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Men walking all over the new floor doing their work. Installing cabinets,
what not. Think about it.

Umm, that's why most of us use tile or other mineral instead of laminate.
Again, laminate in a KITCHEN????

Personally, I use tile, etc. in kitchens, baths, fireplace hearths, and
entry ways, with hardwood (not laminate) everywhere else. Weenies are feel
free to put down throw rugs, but I hate carpet. If it can't go in the
washing machine (small bath mats) then I don't want it on my floor. I like
to be able to actually wash/clean my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

Hi,
Men walking all over the new floor doing their work. Installing
cabinets, what not. Think about it.

Umm, that's why most of us use tile or other mineral instead of laminate.
Again, laminate in a KITCHEN????

Personally, I use tile, etc. in kitchens, baths, fireplace hearths, and
entry ways, with hardwood (not laminate) everywhere else. Weenies are
feel free to put down throw rugs, but I hate carpet. If it can't go in
the washing machine (small bath mats) then I don't want it on my floor. I
like to be able to actually wash/clean my house.

You don't get out much, do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:47 pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

For starters, every manufacturer recommends putting your cabinets in _B/4_
the flooring. Here's just one example.
Scroll to item #13.
http://na.pergo.com/Images/how_to/In...ials_Guide.pdf

There's several reasons for this. Laminate needs to expand/contract, a
permanent fixture on top of the laminate will prohibit this, causing
problems. Another reason is if you need to replace panel/planks/tiles, and
the cabinets are installed on top.....well, now you got problems.

You've never seen a professional install flooring then sit the cabinets on
edge & shim the back. This would have to be one hell of a hack.

Please show just one manufacturer which would recommend putting the
cabinets first. And, you've got to be kidding about saving time of not
cutting/scribing around objects. A professional will cut around anything as
fast as they will a straight cut. Good grief, just when I thought I heard
everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

As long as they used sealant around perimeter to eliminate water intrusion,
you can rest easy. Getting the dishwasher to come out should be a
non-issue. You should not be able to tell where the laminate stops, without
sliding the front toe panel of the dishwasher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Ralph" wrote in message

"h" wrote in message

Hi,
Men walking all over the new floor doing their work. Installing
cabinets, what not. Think about it.

Umm, that's why most of us use tile or other mineral instead of
laminate. Again, laminate in a KITCHEN????

Personally, I use tile, etc. in kitchens, baths, fireplace hearths, and
entry ways, with hardwood (not laminate) everywhere else. Weenies are
feel free to put down throw rugs, but I hate carpet. If it can't go in
the washing machine (small bath mats) then I don't want it on my floor.
I like to be able to actually wash/clean my house.

You don't get out much, do you?

PLONK!

LOL!!! Doesn't even get out much on Usenet. Here's a hint, it's a big
World, and not everyone is going to have the same taste as you. Get used to
it, or Plonk away. Pretty soon, you'll wonder why you're the only one on
Usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph" wrote in message

Please show just one manufacturer which would recommend putting the
cabinets first.

Way to go Ralph! That should say, "please show just one manufacturer, which
recommends putting the _FLOORING_ first.

My bad!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

For starters, every manufacturer recommends putting your cabinets in _B/4_
the flooring. Here's just one example.
Scroll to item #13.http://na.pergo.com/Images/how_to/In...ials_Guide.pdf

There's several reasons for this. Laminate needs to expand/contract, a
permanent fixture on top of the laminate will prohibit this, causing
problems. *Another reason is if you need to replace panel/planks/tiles, and
the cabinets are installed on top.....well, now you got problems.

You've never seen a professional install flooring then sit the cabinets on
edge & shim the back. This would have to be one hell of a hack.

Please *show just one manufacturer which would recommend putting the
cabinets first.

Please show me one manufacturer who prefers laminate flooring over
ceramic tile in a kitchen. The idea of laminate in a kitchen does not
sound right. Usually you put laminate if you want to spruce up an
existing kitchen or do a kitchen makover, but not in a brand new
house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

Uh, why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

I agree , but maybe budget constraints are the issue...Still I would have
used vinyl first..JMHO....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"h" wrote in message

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

I agree , but maybe budget constraints are the issue...Still I would have
used vinyl first..JMHO....

Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never, ever
use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook. Bizarre!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
[...]

My flooring is the same (bought it this way) - laminate in the kitchen
would not my first choice if I were to redo the floors. I replaced the
dishwasher and as others pointed out I just had to lower the legs and
lift it over the edge. I shimmed up the floor under the counter with
wood the same thickness and slid the new dishwasher in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 7:17*pm, Ned Flanders wrote:
Alex wrote:
[...]

wood the same thickness and slid the new dishwasher in.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, a scrap of the correct thickness plywood will allow future
sliding without any problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"h" wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"h" wrote in message

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

I agree , but maybe budget constraints are the issue...Still I would have
used vinyl first..JMHO....

Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never, ever
use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook. Bizarre!

Sheesh. You're pretty venomous about this, huh? G.F. installed laminate
in her kitchen herself, with nothing but a booklet to guide her. Looks
like new after five years, and that's for a kitchen that gets lived in,
including twin preteen boys. If you're not a ****ing pig, laminate is
fine, as long as you like the look of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"h" wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"h" wrote in message

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

I agree , but maybe budget constraints are the issue...Still I would
have
used vinyl first..JMHO....

Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never,
ever
use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook.
Bizarre!

Sheesh. You're pretty venomous about this, huh? G.F. installed laminate
in her kitchen herself, with nothing but a booklet to guide her. Looks
like new after five years, and that's for a kitchen that gets lived in,
including twin preteen boys. If you're not a ****ing pig, laminate is
fine, as long as you like the look of it.

Ummm , and you're not venomous about it ?? So you have smart girlfriend with
2 perfect kids...Good for you and them..It still doesn't diminish the fact
that laminate doesn't play well with liquids...You know , things like a
spilled dogs water dish while asleep or away for a few hours , or a
dishwasher or ice maker leak , or any other accident...It doesn't mean
you're a pig...Or perhaps you were looking in the mirror at the time ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"h" wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"h" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, the kids aren't perfect. They're kids. **** gets spilled on the
floor daily. G'head, ask HeyBub to tell the one about the glass of water
again. I'm not a fan of the stuff, but it's nowhere close to being as
delicate as some insist. I say she's venomous based not on her opinion,
but on how rabid she is about insisting everyone else agree. Hell, she
plonked someone the other day for nothing more than disagreeing with her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"h" wrote in message

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

I agree , but maybe budget constraints are the issue...Still I would
have used vinyl first..JMHO....

Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you
never, ever use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their
kitchen counters and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they
never, ever cook. Bizarre!

I ask again, why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Ummm , and you're not venomous about it ?? So you have smart
girlfriend with 2 perfect kids...Good for you and them..It still
doesn't diminish the fact that laminate doesn't play well with
liquids...You know , things like a spilled dogs water dish while
asleep or away for a few hours , or a dishwasher or ice maker leak ,
or any other accident...It doesn't mean you're a pig...Or perhaps you
were looking in the mirror at the time ???

Some, but probably not all, manufactured laminate is impervious to water.
Also dog drool, baby pee, petroleum solvents, alcohol, fuming acids, and
molten lava.

I had some laminate left over from reworking a spare room and used it for
the kitchen's COUNTERTOP! (It looks like butcher-block). After about a year,
I've added to laminate's list of features that it doesn't stain, scratch,
break, expand, or do anything but just sit there and look swell.

Much like my first wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never,
ever

use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook.
Bizarre!

Sheesh. You're pretty venomous about this, huh? G.F. installed laminate
in her kitchen herself, with nothing but a booklet to guide her. Looks
like new after five years, and that's for a kitchen that gets lived in,
including twin preteen boys. If you're not a ****ing pig, laminate is
fine, as long as you like the look of it.

Umm, I guess only a "pig" experiences water damage from spills, leaks, etc.
in a KITCHEN which has a LOT of water lines. Laminate doesn't do well with
spills. PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"h" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never,
ever
use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook.
Bizarre!

Sheesh. You're pretty venomous about this, huh? G.F. installed laminate
in her kitchen herself, with nothing but a booklet to guide her. Looks
like new after five years, and that's for a kitchen that gets lived in,
including twin preteen boys. If you're not a ****ing pig, laminate is
fine, as long as you like the look of it.

Umm, I guess only a "pig" experiences water damage from spills, leaks, etc.
in a KITCHEN which has a LOT of water lines. Laminate doesn't do well with
spills. PLONK!

I guess when your beliefs are founded in prejudice and ignorance as
opposed to experience, hysteria is the best you can offer. Everyone
experiences spills. Pigs don't clean them up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:

Umm, I guess only a "pig" experiences water damage from spills,
leaks, etc. in a KITCHEN which has a LOT of water lines. Laminate
doesn't do well with spills. PLONK!

Absolutely false. Perhaps the kind of manufactured laminate made from
discarded Cherrios' boxes will have some problem, but the laminate I've used
is impervious to water.

When I say "impervious," I mean unaffected within the precision of my
measuring instruments, visual inspection with a loupe, or any practical
experience.

You are grievously mistaken and I caution you: Others with views similar to
yours have been locked away in places with "Asylum" in their names.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the great replies, and it definitely makes since how it
works now. I have replaced a dish washer in the past, but it just
slid in where the old one was with no adjustments needed, but then
again that was with a vinyl floor that was very thin.

Take care --

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2010 9:18 AM, h wrote:
"Smitty wrote in message
news
In ,
Agreed. Laminate is NEVER appropriate for a kitchen. Unless you never,
ever
use it. I have several friends with McMansions and their kitchen counters
and appliances are the only dusty surfaces - they never, ever cook.
Bizarre!

Sheesh. You're pretty venomous about this, huh? G.F. installed laminate
in her kitchen herself, with nothing but a booklet to guide her. Looks
like new after five years, and that's for a kitchen that gets lived in,
including twin preteen boys. If you're not a ****ing pig, laminate is
fine, as long as you like the look of it.

Umm, I guess only a "pig" experiences water damage from spills, leaks, etc.
in a KITCHEN which has a LOT of water lines. Laminate doesn't do well with
spills. PLONK!

Maybe the inexpensive (cheap) $.99 per sq yard stuff will not hold up
but it is only one step above colored paper bags with sprayed on
waterbased varnish. If you spend some time in research and are willing
to spend a little more, you will find laminate that is at least as good
as hardwood and quite possibly better. Experimented with the laminate I
installed in the kitchen before it was put in. Cut several samples and
dumped them in a bucket of water. Pulled out after a week and saw no
signs of deterioration and they still locked together. Threw the pieces
out in the yard in the sun and let dry out and they still locked
together even with pieces that had not been part of the original
soaking. Ya gets what ya pays for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rmorton wrote:

[...]

I did that with $.79 laminate from Lumber Liquidators, except I used a
micrometer. And left the stuff in the water for a MONTH!

Thickness expansioni was within 0.001", lateral expansion was within 0.002,"
both of which were within the precision limitations of my micrometer.

I worked on scraps with a wood rasp, a nail, and a rock. I banged it with a
hammer. No scratches or dents.

I'm tellin' you, they should use that stuff as water-line armor plating for
battleships. If we still had battleships.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have now read your entire conversation and have decided that there is no reason on earth to ever put Tile in a kitcken. I stand on concrete floors 10 hrs a day. Not in my kitchen it is hard on feet and my china.I currently have pergo laminate in my bathroom and it has gotten wet in past. After 10 years of water being splashed and even a leaky toilet it still looks graet when steam mopped but I am installing something new just for a change. I am in process of installing laminate in kitchen. I looked at the vinyl options but they do not have insulating and thickness of laminate. But you have convinced me to caulk and stop under front feet of dishwasher.
Thanks