Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing laminate flooring from under a wall

Guys,
my son has just rang me, he is DIY'ing has first house.
Just started to remove laminate flooring only to find that a stud wall has
been built over the top of the laminate.
The laminate is 'long ways' under the wall.

What would be the best way to cut the laminate away along the wall?

Current thoughts are;
Stanley knife - probably a job for life
hand saw - any suggestions for a good saw to use bearing in mind proximity
of wall to knuckles
Some type of power tool?

An added complication is that the hallway door is at an angle on the same
wall, he would like to keep the laminate in the hall for the time being as
funds are tight.
I assume the same solution will be viable to cut in the doorway.

Answers on a postcard.....

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
Guys,
my son has just rang me, he is DIY'ing has first house.
Just started to remove laminate flooring only to find that a stud
wall has been built over the top of the laminate.
The laminate is 'long ways' under the wall.

What would be the best way to cut the laminate away along the wall?

Current thoughts are;
Stanley knife - probably a job for life
hand saw - any suggestions for a good saw to use bearing in mind
proximity of wall to knuckles
Some type of power tool?

The Bosch PMF 180 would do the job
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7111112/Trail/searchtextPOWER+TOOLS.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Kevin
writes
Guys,
my son has just rang me, he is DIY'ing has first house.
Just started to remove laminate flooring only to find that a stud wall has
been built over the top of the laminate.
The laminate is 'long ways' under the wall.

What would be the best way to cut the laminate away along the wall?

Current thoughts are;
Stanley knife - probably a job for life
hand saw - any suggestions for a good saw to use bearing in mind proximity
of wall to knuckles
Some type of power tool?

An added complication is that the hallway door is at an angle on the same
wall, he would like to keep the laminate in the hall for the time being as
funds are tight.
I assume the same solution will be viable to cut in the doorway.

2" chisel, go half way through in a couple of passes and it should snap
from there, should leave a nice clean edge, 30min job.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

contained the following:

my son has just rang me, he is DIY'ing has first house.
Just started to remove laminate flooring only to find that a stud wall has
been built over the top of the laminate.

Why remove it? Is it damaged?

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message

An added complication is that the hallway door is at an angle on the same
wall, he would like to keep the laminate in the hall for the time being as
funds are tight.
I assume the same solution will be viable to cut in the doorway.

Answers on a postcard.....

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Whats going in its place? if carpet just lay it on top bearing in mind
shavings will have to come off the bottom of the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

Angle grinder with general purpose blade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all who replied.
I can report a sucessful removal using the chisel method.

Removing and reusing Laminate Wood Flooring [email protected] UK diy 6 August 6th 06 08:34 AM
Removing and reusing Laminate Wood Flooring [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 6th 06 08:34 AM
laminate flooring therebel UK diy 31 March 1st 05 10:28 AM
laminate flooring and removing visible damp patches Gav UK diy 6 October 31st 03 12:03 PM