Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifting metal to ceiling

If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:54*am, stryped wrote:
If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

The 2' x 12' corrugated panels are easy enough to handle alone on a
stepladder. My father installed sheetrock on ceilings by himself after
I left for college by making tee-shaped braces from strapping,
slightly longer than the floor-ceiling distance. He leaned one against
a wall and slid the sheetrock up onto the top, then lifted the other
end and wedged a second brace under it. Then he readjusted the one at
the wall.

I'd consider attaching them to a light framework hinged at the walls
and latched in the center, so you have access afterwards. They should
be short enough to hand vertically, otherwise you can't put a ladder
everywhere. In the center you can have two widths permanently attached
and still be able to reach in to wire a light fixture in the middle.

I built the roof overhanging my deck that way, suspended from large
strap hinges attached to the rafters. The plastic panels won't support
my weight but the screws are easy to install or replace when the roof
hangs vertically. The outer support posts are attached with loose-pin
hinges top and bottom.

On my 6 panel shed roof the 2nd and 5th panels are removeable hatches
so I can reach every point on the roof while standing on the framework
inside. The top tucks under the ridge cap.

jsw
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:41*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Wont the t shaped braces not work because the metal "bends"? It does
not stay straight like drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 12:01*pm, stryped wrote:

Wont the t shaped braces not work because the metal "bends"? It does
not stay straight like drywall.

I haven't seen 16' ones but 12' 29 ga corrugated panels don't sag that
much. I shuffled three of them on and off a roof several times last
week. They can be lifted with one hand in the middle.

Given a choice the 8' ones are easier, the corners bend if they
accidentally hit anything which is hard to avoid indoors.

jsw
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 26, 9:54*am, stryped wrote:
If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that so you might just
nail a bailing wire loop across the rafters to hold one end while you
tack up the other end. Panels are light enough that even SWMBO could
lift and hold one end easily. It's really not at all a big deal.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 12:23*pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54*am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.

jsw
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23*pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54*am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.

That ain't a coastline, it's a fair sized beach. g The town I live
in has considerably more shorefront than NH.

But we still help our neighbors here in Maine as well.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 12:01*pm, stryped wrote:
Wont the t shaped braces not work because the metal "bends"? It does
not stay straight like drywall.

Drywall doesn't stay straight. I don't know where you got that idea.

You're installing corrugated metal right? It'll stay just as straight
as drywall.

The T-shaped braces are called "dead men." Singlular is "dead man."
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

Place a large electromagnet on the floor under where you want the panel,
energise the magnet. If the panel stays on the floor, swap the polarity
of the magnet.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe wrote the following:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:

If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that so you might just
nail a bailing wire loop across the rafters to hold one end while you
tack up the other end. Panels are light enough that even SWMBO could
lift and hold one end easily. It's really not at all a big deal.

Joe

Here on the right coast, I'm the guy next door.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:54�am, stryped wrote:
If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

Like I said in an earlier post, you can get them cut to the inch in
length. Unless your garage is only 16 ft, you'll have to overlap them
anyway, just start at the back and work forward and you won't notice
the overlap. The panels are 3' wide, not 4' like drywall, they are
MUCH lighter than drywall per sq foot. You'll want to order a few
inches longer thanyou need to compensate for the overlap.

I am sure you could hire a someone (think teenage boy) to help hold
one end. OR, just hire someone to do the ceiling that is experienced
and they will have it done in a day or less. You may even learn
something form them.

Where are you located?

Hank ~~~would pay the extra 200-500 dollars to "get er done"
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

You may be trying to solve the wrong problem.

Aluminum foil is much easier to work with than sheet metal and is just as
effective as keeping out alien mind-reading radiation.

You could probably use "radiant barrier" material.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:01:49 -0700 (PDT), stryped wrote:
On Apr 26, 10:41*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 26, 10:54*am, stryped wrote:

If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets
may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with
to install these myself?

The 2' x 12' corrugated panels are easy enough to handle alone on a
stepladder. My father installed sheetrock on ceilings by himself after
I left for college by making tee-shaped braces from strapping,
slightly longer than the floor-ceiling distance. He leaned one against
a wall and slid the sheetrock up onto the top, then lifted the other
end and wedged a second brace under it. Then he readjusted the one at
the wall.

[...]
Wont the t shaped braces not work because the metal "bends"? It does
not stay straight like drywall.

If you need to force the middle up, can't you just add a third brace
once the sheet is basically in position?

Frank McKenney
--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out
of focus. -- Mark Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in news:0e123097-8dd7-49ce-
:

I was left wondering what sort of DIY-er couldn't figure out on his own how
to do a task like this.

Then I realized what sort it was...

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Frnak McKenney fired this volley in
m:

If you need to force the middle up, can't you just add a third brace
once the sheet is basically in position?

YOU could, Frnak; This fellow doesn't think like that. If it bends, it
bends. If it buckles, it gets screwed up to the ceiling with a buckle-
mark.

Someone mentioned to him about using two dead-men to support a sheet, so
another dead-man wouldn't even come to mind.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifting metal to ceiling (hello, Frnak!)

It appears that you had a typing error, while setting up
your usent account, Frnak.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frnak McKenney"
wrote in message

Frank McKenney
--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is
out
of focus. -- Mark Twain
--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt
cahm (y'all)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.

That ain't a coastline, it's a fair sized beach. g The town I live
in has considerably more shorefront than NH.

But we still help our neighbors here in Maine as well.

--
Ned Simmons

Yes we do...Midcoast area near the moon bat haven of Belfast here...You ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..
wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Yeah, right, the fly-over states. Not exactly where anyone chooses to live.
However, since you are so jammed up against your neighbors, I guess you
could easily conscript/beg for help. The only "plus" I can think of for
living in flat-no-ocean-world. Those of us closer to the coasts have a bit
more room and, if we're lucky, can neither see nor know our neighbors. I
hope to doG you're not in Ohio. I've been there. Scary. Mostly because of
the freaks who live there, but still.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

. ..
wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Yeah, right, the fly-over states. Not exactly where anyone chooses to
live. However, since you are so jammed up against your neighbors, I guess
you could easily conscript/beg for help. The only "plus" I can think of
for living in flat-no-ocean-world. Those of us closer to the coasts have a
bit more room and, if we're lucky, can neither see nor know our neighbors.
I hope to doG you're not in Ohio. I've been there. Scary. Mostly because
of the freaks who live there, but still.

I think it is more of rural versus urban thing as opposed to just fly over
country....FWIW...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:21:59 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.

That ain't a coastline, it's a fair sized beach. g The town I live
in has considerably more shorefront than NH.

But we still help our neighbors here in Maine as well.

--
Ned Simmons

Yes we do...Midcoast area near the moon bat haven of Belfast here...You ??

Harpswell.

What's with the moonbats? I thought Belfast was going upscale now that
the chicken plants are gone.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 26, 12:23 pm, Joe wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:54 am, stryped wrote:
Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help
for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On
the left and right coasts people aren't like that ....

Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.

That ain't a coastline, it's a fair sized beach. g The town I live
in has considerably more shorefront than NH.

But we still help our neighbors here in Maine as well.

--
Ned Simmons

Yes we do...Midcoast area near the moon bat haven of Belfast here...You ??

Harpswell.

What's with the moonbats? I thought Belfast was going upscale now that
the chicken plants are gone.

--
Ned Simmons

Yea , upscale town full of liberals who fight any and all development and
has the highest unemployment in the area..It looks run down with over grown
lots with commercial land for sale signs that have been there for YEARS.The
downtown is nothing but art and photo galleries , book stores and stores
like The Purple Baboon and about 10 empty store fronts...LOL...They fight
any and ALL development including building a new sheriff's office that is in
an old run down house...LOL...Right now they are considering spending 8
million on a Performing Arts Center on the waterfront in the never ending
quest to be another Camden only with no rich folks to fund it...Rockland is
cashing in BIG time on the anti-business climate in Belfast , getting Lowes
, Home Depot and Wal-Mart that Belfast banned and MANY other jobs that
offshoot from it...The downtown is booming as well despite the doom and
gloomers talk of them killing the downtown....The Rockland Wal-Mart is the
most profitable one in the state and the reason is that everyone in Belfast
now works and shops in Rockland and to a lesser extent Bangor...Belfast is
on it's way to being a over taxed ghost town full of old hippy trust funders
with hobby businesses in the summer..There was a big event in Belfast last
weekend called "The Free Range Music Festival"...Need I say more ?? LOL

Maximum spacing of ceiling corregated metal. stryped[_3_] Metalworking 29 April 23rd 10 04:31 AM
condensation on metal water tank dripping onto moulding ceiling george (dicegeorge) UK diy 13 December 19th 08 11:29 PM
How to GLUE metal floor and ceiling tracks to concrete doug Home Repair 11 December 18th 08 05:51 PM
Air Lifting SteveB Home Repair 37 October 15th 05 02:52 AM
Lifting boards with a metal tongue? enuff UK diy 8 January 22nd 04 02:05 PM