Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wasp powder

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:47:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

Sevin dust will kill wasps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

Probably sevin dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

I use 50% Methoxychlor just because I have some, but Sevin does a
good job too it just takes a little longer. Use 10% Sevin instead
of the 5% unless you already have 5%. Just put a pinch of it in the
hole where they are getting in.

Sevin will stain carpets and rugs, so be careful where it might get
inside.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

It's probably decomposed shroud of turin. Not likely to work on mormon
wasps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 8:47*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Wasps eat bugs that that bother you and your garden, they are helpfull
carnivores, they are really only pests in fall when they need to store
energy for winter, or that late summer cookout, but as others said its
Ortho Sevin, a turkey baister with a hose on it is what pros use to
get it in tough spots, its even sold as a liqued spray with garden
hose bottle but I think it works mainly when dryed. I used to tape a
cup on a long wood pole and pour the powder into the wasp ground
hole. It might kill fish also so be carefull of runoff. One small bag
of Seven might do 5-10 nests
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I'll ask for that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at
all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using
some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

Sevin dust will kill wasps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Made and seconded, do we have a floor vote on Sevin?

Could be. Thanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS
and
see what I find.

Probably sevin dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like real world advice. These applications will
be outdoors, on exterior walls.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I use 50% Methoxychlor just because I have some, but Sevin
does a
good job too it just takes a little longer. Use 10% Sevin
instead
of the 5% unless you already have 5%. Just put a pinch of
it in the
hole where they are getting in.

Sevin will stain carpets and rugs, so be careful where it
might get
inside.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe instead, I'll file some metal off the gold plates, and
blow that in?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS
and
see what I find.

It's probably decomposed shroud of turin. Not likely to work
on mormon
wasps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's practical advice. With some how-to application.
Thanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

Wasps eat bugs that that bother you and your garden, they
are helpfull
carnivores, they are really only pests in fall when they
need to store
energy for winter, or that late summer cookout, but as
others said its
Ortho Sevin, a turkey baister with a hose on it is what pros
use to
get it in tough spots, its even sold as a liqued spray with
garden
hose bottle but I think it works mainly when dryed. I used
to tape a
cup on a long wood pole and pour the powder into the wasp
ground
hole. It might kill fish also so be carefull of runoff. One
small bag
of Seven might do 5-10 nests

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all
affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some
kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and
see what I find.

Another religious war? Those White Anglo Saxon Protestants are
very pesky aren't they? *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

We're doing our part to rid the world of infidel.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message

Another religious war? Those White Anglo Saxon Protestants
are
very pesky aren't they? *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of their nests was burrowed into the wall, outside the
primary room. Somehow, a couple of them got into the primary
room, and one of the boys was stung last year. I do take
that seriously.

The nest was under the side wood, they enter and exit
through a hole about 3/8 inch diameter. I tried three or
four brand of wasp spray. Even sprayed the critters
directly. Got em wet. They don't seem to notice. The
facilities management people say some kind of powder blown
into the nest holes seems to help. Last year they got 30
complaints about wasps, from 10 buildings. That's a real
issue.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

And then they stick around and do the bothering themselves
instead. They
are terribly annoying when sitting on the deck, especially
with sweet food
or beverages around, and frighten the kids out of their
wits. To heck with
them (the wasps I mean, not the kids).

they are helpfull
carnivores, they are really only pests in fall when they
need to store
energy for winter, or that late summer cookout,

Around here they're pests ALL the time.

but as others said its
Ortho Sevin, a turkey baister with a hose on it is what
pros use to
get it in tough spots, its even sold as a liqued spray
with garden
hose bottle but I think it works mainly when dryed. I used
to tape a
cup on a long wood pole and pour the powder into the wasp
ground
hole. It might kill fish also so be carefull of runoff.
One small bag
of Seven might do 5-10 nests

With our perpetual wasp problem, I'm going to give this
Sevin stuff a try.
Never heard of it before.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-23, Stormin Mormon wrote:

directly. Got em wet. They don't seem to notice.

Strange. We got lotsa wasps, all different shapes and sizes, and
Black Flag and Ace Hardware wasp spray takes 'em out, no problem.
These sprays shoot a healthy straight stream that puts the shooter as
far as 10 ft back.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-23, Tegger wrote:

are terribly annoying when sitting on the deck, especially with sweet food
or beverages around.....

A lot depends on the type of wasp. We went camping once and were
plagued by swarms of ground burrowing yellow jackets. Damn things
would be 3 deep on your food before you could get a fork full to your
mouth. We beat them at their own game. We put a paper plate full of
fresh fruit salad about 40 ft away. Cleared our area completely.
They really go for melons like honeydew.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One of their nests was burrowed into the wall, outside the
primary room. Somehow, a couple of them got into the primary
room, and one of the boys was stung last year. I do take
that seriously.

The nest was under the side wood, they enter and exit
through a hole about 3/8 inch diameter. I tried three or
four brand of wasp spray. Even sprayed the critters
directly. Got em wet. They don't seem to notice. The
facilities management people say some kind of powder blown
into the nest holes seems to help. Last year they got 30
complaints about wasps, from 10 buildings. That's a real
issue.

Sevin is a kind of slow acting powder. That's what you want. (if
you buy the wettable powder formulation, you're still going to use
it dry.) It just takes a little; you put it where you know some of
them will walk thru it. It gets on their feet, doesn't immediately
kill them, and they take it back to the nest and walk around getting
it all over the paper hive. In a couple of days, it kills all of
them. A fast acting poison, like pyrethrum or most wast sprays,
knocks them down right away and they don't get a chance to goto the
hive and poison all their wasp buddies.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-23, zxcvbob wrote:

them. A fast acting poison, like pyrethrum or most wast sprays,
knocks them down right away and they don't get a chance to goto the
hive and poison all their wasp buddies.

We have a modular home (park model, etc) with that interupted siding
with kind of concave lines running horizontally. When these meet
things like vert window trim, it's an open door to wast to get into
the walls. I've seen them enter at a couple points and just aimed a
3-4 sec stream of wasp spray into that entry point. No more activity.
We have some pretty healthy wasps, too. One is at least twice as big
as every other wasp around here and is kinda furry and colored like a
Gurnsey cow. As big as they are, the stream-type wasp sprays take
them out, too, even if a bit slower (5-10 secs).

Any suggestions on what to use to plug those entry points?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in news:friAn.44407$Db6.21929
@newsfe05.iad:

On 2010-04-23, zxcvbob wrote:

them. A fast acting poison, like pyrethrum or most wast sprays,
knocks them down right away and they don't get a chance to goto the
hive and poison all their wasp buddies.

We have a modular home (park model, etc) with that interupted siding
with kind of concave lines running horizontally. When these meet
things like vert window trim, it's an open door to wast to get into
the walls. I've seen them enter at a couple points and just aimed a
3-4 sec stream of wasp spray into that entry point. No more activity.
We have some pretty healthy wasps, too. One is at least twice as big
as every other wasp around here and is kinda furry and colored like a
Gurnsey cow. As big as they are, the stream-type wasp sprays take
them out, too, even if a bit slower (5-10 secs).

Any suggestions on what to use to plug those entry points?

Just silicone caulk.

The problem is the sheer number of places wasps will nest, which is pretty
much ANYwhere they can build a nest, no matter how small the cavity.

Wasps will use an entry point as small as 1/4 x 1/4. If I went around my
house and tried to plug every possible place, I'd have to encase the entire
house in shrink-wrap, the way they do pleasure boats. And even then the
*******s would find a way in. Don't forget the soffit. It's filled with
holes for ventilation. Gonna plug all of those?

Last summer we didn't put our deck umbrella up for couple of weeks. When I
finally did, there was a nest in there about the size of a large cherry-
tomato. After I got rid of it, wasps came by for several days in a row
looking for that nest.

We had a fairly mild winter this year. This means more queens will have
survived. The experts are predicting a waspalanche for us this year...

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in
:

On 2010-04-23, Tegger wrote:

are terribly annoying when sitting on the deck, especially with sweet
food or beverages around.....

A lot depends on the type of wasp. We went camping once and were
plagued by swarms of ground burrowing yellow jackets. Damn things
would be 3 deep on your food before you could get a fork full to your
mouth. We beat them at their own game. We put a paper plate full of
fresh fruit salad about 40 ft away. Cleared our area completely.
They really go for melons like honeydew.

Ah, a simple diversion. Cute. Never thought of that one.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-23, Tegger wrote:

We had a fairly mild winter this year. This means more queens will have
survived. The experts are predicting a waspalanche for us this year...

If Winter temps are a factor, we may get a respite, it being almost
the coldest Winter on record, here. Even our sewers froze.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hear you, about the corrugated siding.

Silicone caulk works, for me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"notbob" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right about the small holes. I've seen with my own
eyes, wasps crawl up a glass window, and then over the top
(crank out, two section trailer windows). They seem to like
to nest in my outdoor propane grill, and in the metal tube
structure of the grill base.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

At church, the only thing had problems was a 8 or 9 year old
boy who got stung. But, we can't be leaving them in the
parking lot. The melon diversion sounds like a good picnic
idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

A lot depends on the type of wasp. We went camping once
and were
plagued by swarms of ground burrowing yellow jackets.
Damn things
would be 3 deep on your food before you could get a fork
full to your
mouth. We beat them at their own game. We put a paper
plate full of
fresh fruit salad about 40 ft away. Cleared our area
completely.
They really go for melons like honeydew.

Ah, a simple diversion. Cute. Never thought of that one.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message

[...]

Any crack in floor mouldings and electric outlets or ceiling fixtures
can let them in, and so it can happen when you do the Seven, be sure
its not honey bees

Wasp sting Phisherman[_2_] Woodworking 6 September 14th 09 07:43 PM
Wasp queen? Sky UK diy 6 February 15th 08 12:22 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
wasp or hornet? [email protected] UK diy 16 November 11th 05 09:33 PM
Wasp nest Nick UK diy 43 January 31st 05 02:18 AM