Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing main shutoff valve on incoming house water line

Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a 3/4 sleeve
copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type fitting for
replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the main pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2010 2:28 PM, jake wrote:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

it should.

Plumbers don't like paint that much. Might assist you by removing that
first...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jake" wrote in message
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a 3/4
sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

I left my main valve in, just installed a new ball valve downstream, 6" or
so.
Leave the main valve open, unscrew the knob, and you'll never have to think
about it again.

All's you need to get out of it is one last close/open cycle. Will make the
plumbing a lot easier.

You could even avoid sweating, and use 3/4 compression fittings (or flare),
if code allows.

The problem with sweating in these situations is that even small amounts of
residual moisture can make sweating difficult. You may have to stick in a
small rag to stop moisture while sweating, but don't forget to remove it!!!

While you're there, I would plumb in a threaded T, with a threaded valve, as
well, just for the future.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

jake wrote the following:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar
type fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off
the main pipe

All I use for plumbing is the propane torch. You might want to clean all
that paint off beforehand. It will stink when burned. You have to make
sure that once you melt the solder, you have some room to lift the pipe
off, otherwise the shutoff valve will just get stuck between the pipes.
Another alternative is to cut the pipe some distance from the valve to
lift the pipe off, then use a coupler.
Make sure the pipe is empty of water, or else you will be there all day
trying to melt the solder.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that is a good idea. If you look at the picture
the OP sent, you might notice what kind of shut off
valve he has pictured. Incidentally, the valve he has
pictured will probably not work well on pipe that
had solder. He'd be better off with a sweat on valve.

I suppose I could ask. So, is the valve being
replaced because it doesn't shut off completely?
Have you tried a new faucet washer?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in
message ...

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

I left my main valve in, just installed a new ball valve
downstream, 6" or so. Leave the main valve open,
unscrew the knob, and you'll never have to think
about it again.

All's you need to get out of it is one last close/open
cycle. Will make the plumbing a lot easier.

You could even avoid sweating, and use 3/4
compression fittings (or flare), if code allows.

The problem with sweating in these situations is
that even small amounts of residual moisture can
make sweating difficult. You may have to stick in
a small rag to stop moisture while sweating, but
don't forget to remove it!!!

While you're there, I would plumb in a threaded T,
with a threaded valve, as well, just for the future.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

To answer your question.... yes, probably. If not, a mapp
torch will do the job.

You didn't ask, but..... replacing a sweat valve with
compression makes a leak very very likely.

Cut out some tubing near the main shut off would work. But,
not with painted copper tubing.

If this were my job, I'd want to enlist someone who has
plumbing experience, and replace with a solder-on valve. Or
if it's just failing to shut off, try a faucet washer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jake" wrote in message
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to
remove a 3/4 sleeve
copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure
collar type fitting for
replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old
collars off the main pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:56:31 -0400, willshak
wrote:

jake wrote the following:
[...]

Good luck getting a compression fitting to seal on that scuzzy looking
pipe!!! You need the pipe CLEAN AND SMOOTH for that.
I'd cut the pipe and splice in as needed to solder the new valve -
with the pipes completely dtained and dry. With water in the pipe you
will NEVER get the soldered joint melted off.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:19:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

To answer your question.... yes, probably. If not, a mapp
torch will do the job.

You didn't ask, but..... replacing a sweat valve with
compression makes a leak very very likely.

Cut out some tubing near the main shut off would work. But,
not with painted copper tubing.

If this were my job, I'd want to enlist someone who has
plumbing experience, and replace with a solder-on valve. Or
if it's just failing to shut off, try a faucet washer.

Or just find a new identical shut-off valve and replace the whole
"cap" leaving the original body. A ball valve is a lot less
troublesome if you do end up having to replace it, but just replacing
the "guts" is a lot less work.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:06:35 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

I left my main valve in, just installed a new ball valve downstream, 6" or
so.
Leave the main valve open, unscrew the knob, and you'll never have to think
about it again.

Seems like a good idea to me.

All's you need to get out of it is one last close/open cycle. Will make the
plumbing a lot easier.

The problem with sweating in these situations is that even small amounts of
residual moisture can make sweating difficult. You may have to stick in a
small rag to stop moisture while sweating, but don't forget to remove it!!!

This seems like a place where a wad of white bread would work well.
It absorbs water for a while, then breaks up and comes out the faucet
(although I never saw my bread come out. It's probably going to make
the water heater burst soon.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, at least the part of the pipe which is presently in
the sweat fits, might be usable. If it were heated, and
wiped clean of old solder.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

jake wrote the following:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a similar problem. The water main valve is leaking around the stem.
Finding a replacement packing is unlikely based on my past experience with
30+ year old plumbing. And, there's only a quarter of an inch between the
main valve and the concrete wall, so there's no margin for error if I have
to sweat on a new valve.

What about inserting a new ball valve downstream of the old valve. Then
shut off the water at the curb, open the old valve, remove the cap, and
insert epoxy into the valve stem packing to stop the leak? Will this work?
Other suggestions? Your thoughts. . . .

"jake" wrote in message
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a 3/4
sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 3:06*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"jake" wrote in message

[...]

I would use a 'sweat in' valve, go ahead and connect about 4 inch
nipples to the valve, cut the house pipe and sweat in the assembly
with repair couplings. Repair couplings dont have a stop in the
middle, you can slide the pipe all the way through them. Toughest part
of the job may be cleaning off the paint. I am assuming you have a
cutoff on the street.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

C'mon, now, that's not politically correct. You have to call
it "colorically challenged bread".

I've heard of plenty of people using a hunk of bread, and I
can't remember hearing any after effects. Probably ends up
in the aerator.

On the other hand, if you used black bread, you'd probably
have babies coming out of your faucets, and find all your
faucet washers stolen.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

This seems like a place where a wad of white bread would
work well.
It absorbs water for a while, then breaks up and comes out
the faucet
(although I never saw my bread come out. It's probably
going to make
the water heater burst soon.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
C'mon, now, that's not politically correct. You have to call
it "colorically challenged bread".

I've heard of plenty of people using a hunk of bread, and I
can't remember hearing any after effects. Probably ends up
in the aerator.

On the other hand, if you used black bread, you'd probably
have babies coming out of your faucets, and find all your
faucet washers stolen.

Ahhh, the mental effects of mormon inbreeding revealed.....
--
EA

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

This seems like a place where a wad of white bread would
work well.
It absorbs water for a while, then breaks up and comes out
the faucet
(although I never saw my bread come out. It's probably
going to make
the water heater burst soon.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

jake wrote:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Besides all the other good advice, a new, run of the mill Bernzomatic
torch only puts out about half the heat of the older ones. So if you do
this, I wouldn't count on the cheapest Bernzo to do the job. The better
ones do get a bit expensive. And as far as the bread to stop the pipe
dripping, they now sell stuff made for that purpose. I think it's
something close to the corn starch packing peanuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jake, I have been installing softeners, and plumbing for 35 years,
retrofitting all the time in old
houses, old plumbing, you name it, I have just about seen it all. If you
haven't started yet, I
will be glad to give what advice I can. From the picture, I see that your
current pipe is 1/2
inch from the wall. Pretty close, but not insurmountable. Would you be
wise to put in a new
valve further upstream, and leaving the old vlave there? Is it leaking?
Does it shut off all the
way, or do you REALLY have to shut it off at the street? Is this new valve
in a place where
everyone can see it? I like to be neat, but can it be done without it
looking good? A crawl
space, you can make it just work without looking good, out in a room? We
can make it look
good too.....let me know if I can help......I do have a few tricks up my
sleeve to help you
more than the average do-it-yourselfer.....
I am like some of the other posters, I prefer using a sweat joint,
but with a difference
I would use a male adapter, and then threading on a ball valve (you can take
the handle
off to turn it onto the male adapter) that way it could be replaced later
without any
sweating. There are more tricks after you get the valve on, I will expand
later if you go this
route.
you can contact me directly, Tom

"jake" wrote in message
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a 3/4
sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ca****cher" wrote in message
I have a similar problem. The water main valve is leaking around the stem.
Finding a replacement packing is unlikely based on my past experience with
30+ year old plumbing. And, there's only a quarter of an inch between the
main valve and the concrete wall, so there's no margin for error if I have
to sweat on a new valve.

What about inserting a new ball valve downstream of the old valve. Then
shut off the water at the curb, open the old valve, remove the cap, and
insert epoxy into the valve stem packing to stop the leak? Will this
work? Other suggestions? Your thoughts. . . .

You can buy generic packing material, which seems to be a kind of
impregnated synthetic string material.
Or, you can make your own with string and pipe dope.

Proly the wide variety of O-rings available would fit the bill, as well.
Packing shouldn't be a big deal.
--
EA

"jake" wrote in message
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a 3/4
sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:20:17 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I would use a 'sweat in' valve, go ahead and connect about 4 inch
nipples to the valve, cut the house pipe and sweat in the assembly
with repair couplings. Repair couplings dont have a stop in the
middle,

True but places like HD distinguish the two kinds with 2 or 3 tiny
letters that meant nothing to me. And they get taken out of the
right bin and plopped in the other bin. So best to feel with one's
finger if the inverted dimple is in there.

you can slide the pipe all the way through them. Toughest part
of the job may be cleaning off the paint. I am assuming you have a
cutoff on the street.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, the effects of anonymous usenet posting revealed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in
message ...

Ahhh, the mental effects of mormon inbreeding revealed.....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 2:06*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"jake" wrote in message

[...]

Plumbers frequently use bread stuffed in the pipe to sop up moisture
long enough to do the soldering, then the bread will dissolve and
there is no need to try to pull or get anything out of the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:57*pm, Tony wrote:
jake wrote:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Besides all the other good advice, a new, run of the mill Bernzomatic
torch only puts out about half the heat of the older ones. *So if you do
this, I wouldn't count on the cheapest Bernzo to do the job. *The better
ones do get a bit expensive. *And as far as the bread to stop the pipe
dripping, they now sell stuff made for that purpose. *I think it's
something close to the corn starch packing peanuts.

One of the best torches I have found short of using oxygen is one
designed for making glass beads. I bought mine at the Hobby Lobby. it
really cooks on MAPP.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would use a 'sweat in' valve, go ahead and connect about 4 inch
nipples to the valve, cut the house pipe and sweat in the assembly
with repair couplings. Repair couplings dont have a stop in the
middle,

True but places like HD distinguish the two kinds with 2 or 3 tiny
letters that meant nothing to me. * And they get taken out of the
right bin and plopped in the other bin. *So best to feel with one's
finger if the inverted dimple is in there.

you can slide the pipe all the way through them. Toughest part
of the job may be cleaning off the paint. I am assuming you have a
cutoff on the street.

Jimmie

If you get the wrong one no big deal. You can turn it into a repair
coupling just by hammering the dimple out. You can even drill the
dimple out. If you do that push the end of the pipe past the dimple
and fill with solder.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you get the hammer into the coupling?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

If you get the wrong one no big deal. You can turn it into a
repair
coupling just by hammering the dimple out. You can even
drill the
dimple out. If you do that push the end of the pipe past the
dimple
and fill with solder.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:57:00 -0400, Tony
wrote:

jake wrote:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Besides all the other good advice, a new, run of the mill Bernzomatic
torch only puts out about half the heat of the older ones. So if you do
this, I wouldn't count on the cheapest Bernzo to do the job. The better
ones do get a bit expensive. And as far as the bread to stop the pipe
dripping, they now sell stuff made for that purpose. I think it's
something close to the corn starch packing peanuts.

The Bernzo "turbo torch" is the cat's meow - and particularly when
running MAPP Gas
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

jake wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have one of them also, I think. The kind without the hose. I
forgot how to adjust it. I think you always open the fuel valve all the
way, then adjust the valve on top for the proper flame? Does that sound
right? With propane it's enough for most plumbing jobs, with the MAPP
gas I've done brazing quite a few times.

http://www.handhelditems.com/bernzom...h-p-57076.html

Mine is very similar but much older. The top valve is brass like the
rest of it. I think I bought it around 1990?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:41:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

C'mon, now, that's not politically correct. You have to call
it "colorically challenged bread".

I've heard of plenty of people using a hunk of bread, and I
can't remember hearing any after effects. Probably ends up
in the aerator.

On the other hand, if you used black bread, you'd probably
have babies coming out of your faucets, and find all your
faucet washers stolen.

Existential Agent's over the top criticsm of your post shouldn't end
up covering up how obnoxious that post was. All the poster before you
did was refer to bread, actual white bread, and your reply was racist
and hateful. Coming from someone who constantly mentions that he is a
Mormon, I would think you *would* be worried about embarrassing and
shaming Mormons in general and the Mormon Church. Especially since
there was a long-time official anti-Black policy in the Mormon church
which they claim to have gotten rid of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:36:06 -0400, Tony

wrote:

jake wrote:
[...]

Mine only has one valve, and generally when doing plumbing I run it
opened just far enough to be LOUD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Over the top??????
Do you know for sure that Stormy's mindset and this Mormon bull**** is NOT
the result of inbreeding?

As far as Stormy goes, it just goes to show that if you let assholes
talk/post long enough, eventually they reveal thier true nature.
Funny how Stormy has not responded to your spot-on observations.

We have these LDS whitebreads running around Yonkers, left and right, with
their white shirts, ties, and geeky backpacks.... nary a tan among them.

Earl Butz on blacks (loose shoes, tight pussy, warm place to ****, Nixon
admin) proly spoke for 85% of Merka -- surprised he got fired, surprised the
effing mormons didn't protest his firing.

Earl Butz, btw, also paved the way for Big Agri, the demise of the small
farmer, and the domination of Monsanto over our seed/food supply.
See the recent PBS Independent Lens (or mebbe POV) on this mind-numbing and
terrifying legal debacle, display of corruption.

Clarence (My dick is like a Coke Can) Thomas wrote the supreme court
decision on Monsanto's seed-patenting stranglehold, and guess where he came
from?? Uhhh, Monsanto??
Recall Anita Hill??

Clarence responded with his famous quote "high-tech lynching", poetically
portending his own high-tech lynching of the whole of the USA, with
Monsanto....
Anita Hill could have been a critical factor in this Monsanto nightmare, had
anyone really listened to her.
Character is everything, and unfortunately mebbe 1 person in Wash DC has
any.

When assholes like Stormy, Earl Butz, Clarence Thomas and all the bathroom
foot-tappers in Wash DC display lack of character in apparently unrelated
areas, you can bet your bottom dollar (if you have one) that a big-time
ass****ing is in store for us in the relevant areas at hand.
Like our pensions et al.
In Stormy's case, he proly rips off his customers just like the rest of the
inbred cretins on alt.hvac. Even with all that LDS bull****.

Heh, quite a digression, eh?
But mebbe not.... mormons are farmers too, eh?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Existential Angst typed:
wrote:

[...]

Pure hypocrisy and prejudice; must be a real winner of a waste of human
skin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:56:08 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

A silly reply. I don't know for sure than anyone's failings,
including your tendency to write stupid, vulgar stuff, isn't the
result of inbreeding. I only read a couple lines before I decided it
was worthless.

But that too doesn't lessen the problems I list above with the Stormin
Mormon's post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:56:08 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Mama used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:56:08 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

You must be one self-impressed bore at the dinner table.... goodgawd....
--
EA