Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing main shutoff valve on incoming house water line

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:19:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

To answer your question.... yes, probably. If not, a mapp
torch will do the job.

You didn't ask, but..... replacing a sweat valve with
compression makes a leak very very likely.

Cut out some tubing near the main shut off would work. But,
not with painted copper tubing.

If this were my job, I'd want to enlist someone who has
plumbing experience, and replace with a solder-on valve. Or
if it's just failing to shut off, try a faucet washer.

Or just find a new identical shut-off valve and replace the whole
"cap" leaving the original body. A ball valve is a lot less
troublesome if you do end up having to replace it, but just replacing
the "guts" is a lot less work.