Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default replacing main shutoff valve on incoming house water line

wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:57:00 -0400, Tony
wrote:

jake wrote:
Will a Home Depot propane Bernzomatic produce enough heat to remove a
3/4 sleeve copper fitting (my main shutoff valve) ?

Have verified the lines are copper and purchased a pressure collar type
fitting for replacement shutoff valve

Picture of line and new replacement part at
http://i41.tinypic.com/33jjo8i.jpg

Need to produce enough heat to be able to remove the old collars off the
main pipe

Besides all the other good advice, a new, run of the mill Bernzomatic
torch only puts out about half the heat of the older ones. So if you do
this, I wouldn't count on the cheapest Bernzo to do the job. The better
ones do get a bit expensive. And as far as the bread to stop the pipe
dripping, they now sell stuff made for that purpose. I think it's
something close to the corn starch packing peanuts.

The Bernzo "turbo torch" is the cat's meow - and particularly when
running MAPP Gas

Yes, I have one of them also, I think. The kind without the hose. I
forgot how to adjust it. I think you always open the fuel valve all the
way, then adjust the valve on top for the proper flame? Does that sound
right? With propane it's enough for most plumbing jobs, with the MAPP
gas I've done brazing quite a few times.

http://www.handhelditems.com/bernzom...h-p-57076.html

Mine is very similar but much older. The top valve is brass like the
rest of it. I think I bought it around 1990?