Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with security

Hello again, This group has answered my questions before and I am sure
it will again. This one is for my father however. In 1997, he built a
house about 15 mins from where he is currently living. However, the
house has still never been completed. No one has ever lived in it and
has yet to have had the experience of being enjoyed. This may sound
odd, which it is, but when money gets tight and the effort to continue
becomes sparse, you get what I would call an abandoned house. Now to
the point. Earlier this afternoon, I took a drive up to the house just
to check up on the place and enjoy the day by the beach. As I
approached the house, I noticed that all of the temporary window
coverings that were in the windows had been removed. Thinking it was
my father, I continued into the house without a second thought. I
opened the door and walked into a war zone. Furniture had been tipped
over, and damaged, boxes had been rummaged through, drawers were open,
piles of wood were scattered everywhere, etc. I couldn't believe my
eyes. The house, although not yet finished is stuffed full of
furniture and boxes from 2 grandparents houses who have died.
Everything was either touched, damaged or broken. They even had a dog
with them, which left us a little present in the master bedroom. I
know i'm going to get put through the ringer from people here saying
that I should be there more often, etc etc, but with work and other
commitments it honestly gets forgotten. The house does have a working
motion senor light over the basement door, deadbolt locks on every
single door, security tabs on every window which are activated and a
large street light purposely installed right in front of the house. I
have yet to discover a point of entry or a sign of how they are
getting access to the house. No door was forced, no window broken,
nothing. How hard is it to pick a lock? These locks are all Weisers
and are all keyed so that each lock has a specific key, but then there
is also a master which will open every door. The same thing happened
last summer, minus the damage and that was when all the locks were
installed.

Now finally my question. Does anyone know of any security camera that
will only take videos if movement is detected? and if so, how do I get
this set up so that it is wireless. I don't want to be pulling wires
through this house. I also want a recorder to record any anything the
camera may catch. Anyone know of anything that may help that is also
budget friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wishing
to comment negatively, can save it for another thread. Thanks in
advance
Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to one of my suppliers:

http://www.supercircuits.com/

Many stand alone IP cameras and most DVR's Digital Video Recorders for
security purposes have a motion detection option. Anything moving in a
specific area or the whole field of view can be detected by the
equipment, this saves space on the hard drive. Many DVR units and of
course the IP cameras can be monitored via The Internet. I've had very
good service from Supercircuits.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:43*pm, camryguy wrote:
[...]

If nothing was broken to get entry someone has a key or knows how to
pick locks. Did anybody ever get a key to work on the house, who
installed the locks. What is an activated security tab on a window? A
monitored alarm system is cheap , maybe 35$ a month and would have
notified the police. New locks are a must, Medico are unpickable as
are combination non electric pushbutton locks, I use both and the
comibination locks can be purchased from about 120$ and up. www.supercurcuits.com
sells just about everything to do with video surveylance and
recording. So damage wasnt that bad , now upgrade, you can do locks
and video recording this week if you get started now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

Almost all of the usual door locks can be "bumped". Never tried it, but
it is not supposed to take much skill. Try "bumping" at Wikipedia for
some initial information. One method that can reduce bumping is to cut
one position on the key lower than the lowest standard cut.
Alt.locksmithing has had some threads on resisting bumping.

Did anybody ever get a key to work on the house, who
installed the locks. What is an activated security tab on a window? A
monitored alarm system is cheap , maybe 35$ a month and would have
notified the police. New locks are a must, Medico are unpickable as
are combination non electric pushbutton locks, I use both and the
comibination locks can be purchased from about 120$ and up. www.supercurcuits.com
sells just about everything to do with video surveylance and
recording. So damage wasnt that bad , now upgrade, you can do locks
and video recording this week if you get started now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 11:43*pm, camryguy wrote:
[...]

What aspects of the house are not completed... Built it in 1997 but
"never finished"... Sounds to me like you have a permitting issue...
You can't "use" a house for any purposes until you have had your
final inspection and a certificate of occupancy issued...

You have power to the property... Why not get a phone line and
install an alarm system... Last summer should have been a
warning sign -- you should have properly secured the property at
that time and not waited for an escalation like this...

I assume you found one or more doors unlocked when you entered
and found the mess... Someone may have inadvertently left one
of the multitude of doors unlocked... If all the doors were locked
then the raiding party did not enter through a door as they would
not have taken the time to lock the door when they left and would
have left it unlocked to facilitate easier entry the next time they
decided to "visit"...

As far as abandoned properties go, there are many many ways
in which to gain entry that don't involve playing with the doors...
If you are not going to monitor the property with proper frequency
or install an alarm, I would securely board it up and treat it like
legitimately abandoned property... If you are not certain how to
do this correctly inquire with your local fire department, they will
have information on how to do this adequately in a standardized
way which will not impede access too much in a fire that public
safety employees are familiar with and know how to dismantle...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 2:25*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

There is no permitting issue. The house simply wasn't completed
because of financial issues. As I said, no one has ever lived in the
house. All permits are still open and the final inspection has yet to
conclude. AS for not done, the house is water tight and sealed. All
doors and windows are installed, roof tight and exterior completed. It
has been wired, plumbed, and dry walled, but the floors aren't
installed and all bathrooms and the kitchen are not finished. My guess
to point of entry is the basement door. I was at the house again
today, and all windows were locked and shut, and all doors were
locked. I checked the locks for any tampering or scratches on them and
the only one with any significant wear was the basement door. The rest
were untouched. AS for boarding up the windows, I don't think that my
father will go for it. The house has a brick exterior and any nails or
screws would damage the bricks or mortar holding them together. One
more thing, when I found the house yesterday, all of the doors were
locked. Not one single one was left open, weird? I say yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:16:56 -0700 (PDT), camryguy
wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:25*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

Another post mentioned "bump" keys. Recently, there are stories of
people moving into vacant foreclosed homes, take up occupancy and go
some time before being discovered.

What does your insurance company say?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 4:16*pm, camryguy wrote:
On Apr 20, 2:25*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

Hello... Umm... When an abandoned property is sealed up the
boards are often only caulked to the trim around the openings, the
plywood panels are held in place by means of 2x4 lumber beneath
the plywood and a longer one inside the protected space secured
in a plywood and 2x4 sandwich with carriage bolts accessible from
the inside only...

And yes, there is a permitting issue... You are using the structure
for STORAGE of materials not related to the construction process
which means you are occupying it without having the final inspection
and certificate of occupancy... You should look at the fine print on
the building permits, they are usually only valid for a fixed period
of
time unless you apply for an extension and pay additional fees, if
your request for an extension is granted...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:03*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
camryguy wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question regarding equipment
like this.

I have a remote weekend place that does not have a phone line or any
method to send a signal to a monitoring service. What I had hoped to
find was a little device like a nanny-cam that would be motion
activated and then record for 5-10 minutes to an internal card (or
similar non-disc storage).

The intent is that if somebody breaks in when the camera is "waiting",
it will record enough to identify and prosecute the perps. Of course
I will need to hide it somewhere, so the lens will have to be small.

Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
camryguy wrote:
[...]

A hunter 'trail cam' used for scouting deer would do the trick, if you
can figure a way to attach it to the house, and disguise what it is.
(They are designed to strap around trees.) the house. Some even have an
infrared flash built in. They take stills, though, not video.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 10:03*am, bud-- wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

and video recording this week if you get started now.- Hide quoted text -

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
camryguy wrote:
[...]

Ideas?- Hide quoted text -

I have one, its hidden in a appliance, www.supercircuts/com has them
in radios, clocks, plants etc etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:04:09 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special
cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the
medicine cabinet.

Corbin was another good brand office key.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 2:25*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

Listen Evan, I didn't ask if I had an issue with Permitting and as far
as I am concerned that is non of your business. I asked if there were
any budget friendly ways to keep surveillance on the property. I'm not
about to cover every single window and door with plywood as mentioned
above. Thank you for your input, but some of the information given,
was not required nor requested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 8:05*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

You make some good points. My father installed the locks himself last
summer new, so my guess is they are being picked. Yes keys were given
out to construction workers, but those locks have been replaced as
mentioned previously. he is thinking of installing a cheaper security
system that will notify the police via phone line. The only problem is
the closest police station is 15 mins away, so a silent alarm would be
optimal. When the windows were purchased there were several
accessories you could get with them, one such accessory is a little
plastic tab that when engaged will only allow the window to open 4
inches. ( These windows are double hung, not casement). Its a great
little feature that really works. The windows are made by kohler if
that helps any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:43*pm, camryguy wrote:
[...]

Your locks are not being picked... Someone who picked your
locks would not have trashed the place, they would have gone'
through your stuff, stole what they wanted and left it looking like
no one had ever been there...

You had a bunch of rowdy high-schoolers who have a car who
might have used a bump key if they are advanced... It is way
more likely that you or your dad messed up and left something
unlocked...

I still think that there is some opening you are not checking, like
an attic vent or something that is being used to gain entry because
you are so convinced it has to be the doors that you aren't even
seriously checking anything else...

An alarm system is probably your only way to do what you want,
but you are going to have to get one that is centrally monitored
by the alarm company so that they notify you and your dad in
addition to calling the police every time the alarm is tripped...

You think that 15 minute away from the police station is
really 15 minutes away ? At the speed you can drive legally
you have a point, but the police can and do drive much faster
than normal vehicles are allowed to when they are responding
to an emergency call...

As to your other posting, you might not think the lack of a
valid occupancy permit is relevant, but you will find out more
about that if another break-in occurs and you actually report
it to the police... When they come out to take the report and
investigate the "not finished" house will raise a red flag to
them and they will check that out...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special
cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the
medicine cabinet.

Yep. Medico pins have to not only be the right height but the proper rotation
to turn the cylinder.

Corbin was another good brand office key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special
cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the
medicine cabinet.

Yep. *Medico pins have to not only be the right height but the proper rotation
to turn the cylinder. *

Corbin was another good brand office key.

I think you mean Medeco locks...

They are good but not impenetrable...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
[...]

Here's something that may scare away the do-bads:

http://www.personalarms.com/home_ala...g_features.htm

http://tinyurl.com/y487mqr

I built one years ago with a recording of a friend's 170lb Malamute bark
slowed down until it sounded like a Lion. Played through 15" woofers (no
pun), you could feel the sound in your chest. It rattled the windows and
any miscreants casing the joint.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 8:43*pm, camryguy wrote:
[...]

that helps any.- Hide quoted text -

Google and view video at Utube on """Lock Bumping"" you wont ever
look at locks the same way again, anybody can "bump" a lock except
Medico and push button locks. I found a good non battery brand for
120$ and use them commercially if yr interested. Medico are on the
White House and most any bank or secure location but very very pricey.
Bumping is the "new thing" An alarm might take 5-15 minutes for a
response, a camera from Soper Circuits can catch the Neighbor you know
and now trust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:
On Apr 20, 11:36*pm, "

wrote:

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special
cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the
medicine cabinet.

Yep. *Medico pins have to not only be the right height but the proper rotation
to turn the cylinder. *

Corbin was another good brand office key.

I think you mean Medeco locks...

They are good but not impenetrable...

*~~ Evan

No lock is impenetrable, sure you can drill and saw and hammer, but
its hardened brass, not HD quality stuff, but it cant be picked or
bumped and has a real long hard bolt. To get past one takes alot of
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Bright motion lights, security stickers from a real company, not those
fake ones, screwed shut windows and reinforced doors, locks, lock
recess, door plates help. Im sure its at night, so a few always on
bright lights and many motion sensors have done the trick for me in
vacant properties, another idea is buy a junk car and park it in your
lot, just wash it and it looks like someone lives there. Lights inside
on timers, use 9 w cfls, you can get 4 9w HD soft white cfls for only
2 dollars that wont cost but a few busks a month to run. Make it look
lived in, a cheap radio on a rock station that goes on and off on a
timer is a great idea, put it near the door. I do all this and my
electric bill is 3-4 dollars a month on a vacant place. Point is
everyone knows nobody lives there, change their perceprion to not
knowing whats going on, and you have stopped 95% of the risk. 5 lights
a radio all on timers might cost you 50$, a bump proof lock 120$,
outdoor motion lights about 20$ a light. X10 has motion lights with RF
remote control, you can have a driveway lights sensot turn on a radio
and many lights inside the house so it looks to a burglar he has been
spotted and the home owner is turning on lights as he aproaches, or
ring an interior and exterior chime, or contact your home PC, but then
you need a PC in the house. I have cameras outside hidden in motion
lights with IR Leds that record to a cassette i set when I leave. But
a PC with big HD can make monitoring real easy X10 works and is
infinatly expandable. But the car, radio, bump proof locks are all
mandatory in these days to give a burglar dought. Security is about
deception, scaring the burglar and hardening of areas. I find you need
all areas covered inside and out. Then pay a neighbor to do a walk by
once a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:48*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

You make some good points. The roof is closed, but has a large
overhang over the side of the house. The vented siding which closes
the eaves are only snapped in place. Although the house is two stories
tall, there is a large deck on the second floor which would allow for
entry through the eaves and into the attic. Then all it takes is
someone with a strong hand to lift the hatch and gain entry to the
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 7:24*am, ransley wrote:
On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:

I think you mean Medeco locks...

They are good but not impenetrable...

*~~ Evan

No lock is impenetrable, sure you can drill and saw and hammer, but
its hardened brass, not HD quality stuff, but it cant be picked or
bumped and has a real long hard bolt. To get past one takes alot of
time.

Medeco, can't be bumped or picked ? LOL...
If you know what you are doing you can read the lock with a
variety of tools called 'Medecoders', and create your own bump
key for that lock based on the angles used on the key cuts...

Medeco can also be picked, it just takes quite a bit longer
to gain entry past a Medeco lock that it does an ordinary
one...

Medeco locks are *MUCH* harder to drill than an ordinary
lock as they are equipped with half-moon anti-drill plates
inside front of the shell where the plug meets the shell
and hardened anti-drill pins further back in the cylinder
which will break your drill bit... This applies only to the
rim and mortise cylinder type locks...

However, someone who really knows what they are
doing can get past a Medeco lock cylinder with no
problem...

In this situation it is more important for the OP to
install an alarm system than it is for him to waste
$300 per opening on Medeco locks only to find that
next time the vandals have chosen to break in by
means of smashing a window because of the new
fancy locks installed on all the doors...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

Medico can be picked? by who, not my locksmith who is a pro. And how
do you "get by " one. And in what amount of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:42:49 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

wrote:

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special
cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the
medicine cabinet.

Yep. *Medico pins have to not only be the right height but the proper rotation
to turn the cylinder. *

Corbin was another good brand office key.

I think you mean Medeco locks...

Right (and I had the web site up looking at it) slap

They are good but not impenetrable...

Better than my spelling, for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

The last one is easy. Break the window and crawl in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

Hey there,

I'm the inventor of the Medecoder tool(s) that was mentioned above.
If you're interested in how they work, I've written up a page about it
and how the company responded:

http://theamazingking.com/medecoder.html

I have met many many locksmiths that don't believe it until I pick one
in front of them. I was also able to use the tool to open a classic,
biaxial, and m3 in front of Medeco's director of research (he drove to
my apartment). The good news is that the meeting we had led to them
fixing the problem. Thus, the brand new Medecos pinned at the factory
(or using new pin kits) are only slightly vulnerable to the attack.
For picking times on the vulnerable locks (almost all of them still),
I average around 2-5 minutes. Lemme know if you got any questions :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:42*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

Question: Can you change the background (White) and the text (Black)
on that web site?

Just and observation It makes me not want to read it with my aging
eyes.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 5:56*am, Evan wrote:
On Apr 22, 6:52*am, ransley wrote:

What is better then Medico. Picking one if possible isnt as I see it
knowledge to many, and not in *you average amature thiefs timeframe or
ability. They want quick entry , nit working on door for 5-15 minutes,
at that point the would just kick it in instead

Bi-Lock or Abloy are good quality locks which are much more
difficult to pick... *They are also much more difficult to obtain
copies of your keys and if you lose your credential issued at
the time you purchase the lock, you MUST have the lock
rekeyed to a new combination and have new keys and a new
credential issued... *NO EXCEPTIONS...

Where are you located ? *Locksmiths in the rural areas don't
either install or encounter Medeco locks very often so therefore
they are much less familiar with them and have never given
picking them serious thought, yet the locksmiths in cities
and suburbs know them thoroughly and are very adept at
picking them, since picking them takes less time and costs
the customer less money than destructive removal (drilling)...

As for amateur thieves, such thieves might use a bump key
but that is highly doubtful... *Much more common to see a
sledgehammer or big pry bar used instead... *Then you would
see the glass/window breakage being the next most common
method of gaining entry...

If you think that someone spending 5 to 15 minutes to gain
entry to a building with the intent to burglarize it, then you
don't have much imagination or common sense... *It all
depends on what is inside and how much it would be worth
to steal... *If you think that 15 minutes is too much time
to spend picking a lock to enter without leaving obvious
damage, then you would be shocked that some specialist
burglars spend more than an hour methodically breaching
very expensive safes... *It all comes down to whether the
reward (rich stuff kept in the house or the safe) is greater
than the risk (getting caught)... *Remember most burglars
are caught when they are attempting to liquidate the stolen
property for cash, not while they are in the middle of the
actual breaking and entering or stealing...

~~ Evan

Medeco is, by far, the most popular high-sec lock available in the
US. You might end up being stuck with them, but Mul-T-Lock is fairly
popular as well (though a bit easier to pick..except the brand-new
MT5). As Evan said, Bilock and Abloy are very good as well (Abloy
Protec especially). Any of these is going to be just fine for
commercial or residential use. Burglars generally aren't lockpickers,
but like he said; its about risk analysis. And the few that are; even
fewer of them are on this level. For the most part, the only folks
opening these things are the obsessed hobbyists like me, government
agencies, and a handful of locksmiths (most of which fall into the
other two categories as well). In most cases, covert/surreptitious
entry is one of the last things folks should be worried about in
regard to physical security. Getting a locksmith to properly install
any of the above locks puts you way beyond most targets in terms of
picking resistance.

Security DVR Jedd Haas Metalworking 7 December 22nd 08 02:36 PM
security Tim Lamb UK diy 18 November 11th 07 11:34 PM
Want small security camera for internal security G Wood Home Repair 7 October 6th 07 04:12 AM
[OT] Our Right to Security Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 10 February 6th 06 09:30 AM
Security Door Trish Home Repair 1 July 16th 05 01:55 PM