Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Garage idea

I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Or painting the floor an epoxy gray and just using gray tiles/ (No
checkered pattern).

I know I have seen these wall tiles in a garage but did a search to
show my wife and came up empty. (She cant envision waht I am talkign
about).

What do you guys think?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:22*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:13c3b8d0-aa57-
:

I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Unless you use real grouted tile, and seal the grout lines, I don't think
you'll like tile as your "splash guard".

I think if I were doing a wet-area floor, I'd form up on the wall a ways,
and pour/trowel/porridge a spooned corner 'basin' all around, then just
paint the whole thing with one of those stippled epoxy enamels.

Doing spooned corners will make cleanup SO much easier that you'll never
regret it.

Chemical mixing areas are often done with a composite/epoxy type mud with
spooned corners for hose washdown. *Just put a floor drain at the lowest
point in the room.

LLoyd

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about put the tile I am
talkign about is the comercial VCP that is put on with adhesive. It is
also used on comercial floors. (Such as Wal Mart, etc).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about put the tile I am
talkign about is the comercial VCP that is put on with adhesive. It is
also used on comercial floors. (Such as Wal Mart, etc).- Hide quoted text -

Vinyl, sometimes referred to as linoleum...?
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 8:58*am, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about put the tile I am
talkign about is the comercial VCP that is put on with adhesive. It is
also used on comercial floors. (Such as Wal Mart, etc).- Hide quoted text -

Vinyl, sometimes referred to as linoleum...?
* --Glenn Lyford

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/products/vct

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

stryped fired this volley in
:

On Apr 12, 8:58*am, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about put the tile I am
talkign about is the comercial VCP that is put on with adhesive. It
is also used on comercial floors. (Such as Wal Mart, etc).- Hide
quoted te

xt -

Vinyl, sometimes referred to as linoleum...?
* --Glenn Lyford

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/products/vct

I'm familiar with Vinyl Composite flooring; have laid hundreds of square
yards of it over the years. It has excellent wear resistance on
concrete, and decent water resistance IF COMPLETELY SEALED, and KEPT
sealed always.

It will peel up like potato chips if water gets under it via the gaps
between tiles; thus the requirement for sealing. It does not perform
well on wood substrates, because it's somewhat brittle, and doesn't
comply well with irregularities in the surface, or swelling of the
underlayment.

If you're willing to seal it (about five to eight good coats of an
acrylic emulsion sealer), and "service" it about every six months to a
year, it'll be fine.

For a washdown area, though, it's not a recommended flooring. Seamless
goods with cove barriers or a poured/painted composite are preferrable.
Since seamless sheet goods don't come stock in 30' widths, you're stuck
with the other options.

Were I you, and wanted to doll up a slab floor, I'd just grind it and
seal it with urethane or acrylic. Concrete that's been finished like
that looks great -- almost like terrazzo.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:17*am, stryped wrote:
I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Or painting the floor an epoxy gray and just using gray tiles/ (No
checkered pattern).

I know I have seen these wall tiles in a garage but did a search to
show my wife and came up empty. (She cant envision waht I am talkign
about).

What do you guys think?

What did you do about your 2 1/4 flooring??????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 9:48*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 12, 7:17*am, stryped wrote:

I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Or painting the floor an epoxy gray and just using gray tiles/ (No
checkered pattern).

I know I have seen these wall tiles in a garage but did a search to
show my wife and came up empty. (She cant envision waht I am talkign
about).

What do you guys think?

What did you do about your 2 1/4 flooring??????

This is not a "washdown area" Just an area that may get wet when I
spray out the garage. I just want it to look nice.

The 2 1/4 flooring has not arrived yet.

What do you guys think of the pattern idea?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 9:48*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 12, 7:17*am, stryped wrote:

I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Or painting the floor an epoxy gray and just using gray tiles/ (No
checkered pattern).

I know I have seen these wall tiles in a garage but did a search to
show my wife and came up empty. (She cant envision waht I am talkign
about).

What do you guys think?

What did you do about your 2 1/4 flooring??????

By the way, I am not wanting to tile the floor, just 3 feet of the
wall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 5:17*am, stryped wrote:
I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

What kind of wall surface? Easiest would be to get the melamine
panel material (used for low-end shower stall construction) as your
splashguard, top with a wood molding and seal against the floor
with a vinyl base molding.

For a shop, I wouldn't consider vinyl wall coverings; a vertical
surface
in polymer supports flame LOTS more than a floor covering.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 9:53*am, stryped wrote:
On Apr 12, 9:48*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 12, 7:17*am, stryped wrote:

I have a 30x30 garage/shop. I have an idea to paint the concrete floor
a beige eppoxy then put a 3 foot tall borger or "splash guard" around
the wall of tile. Maybe using a "checkered" pattern of beige and white
12x12 tiles.

Or painting the floor an epoxy gray and just using gray tiles/ (No
checkered pattern).

I know I have seen these wall tiles in a garage but did a search to
show my wife and came up empty. (She cant envision waht I am talkign
about).

What do you guys think?

What did you do about your 2 1/4 flooring??????

This is not a "washdown area" Just an area that may get wet when I
spray out the garage. I just want it to look nice.

The 2 1/4 flooring has not arrived yet.

What do you guys think of the pattern idea?- Hide quoted text -

You still didn't tell us how you finished your "inside the house"
flooring that you were posting about last week!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

flooring that you were posting about last week!!- Hide quoted text -

I said previosuly the wood is coming this week. It will be awhile
before I start that one.

No one ever commented on what they thought of the look of my origional
idea.