Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

Default Idea for storage in my new shop/garage

I'm thinking of putting French cleats every foot up the side of the wall
starting at 4' high and going up.Â*Â*ToÂ*makeÂ*theÂ*cleatsÂ*I'mÂ*thinkingÂ*ofÂ*u sing
1x2 fir and cutting a 45 on the top side, and attaching them to the wall
with 2" screws.

my question is, are the fir 1x2's going to be strong enough, or should I use
3/4 plywood cut into 2" strips with a 45 cut at the top.

then I was going to use desk deck finish or use floor wax

can anyone think of a better way to do this?

--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives
Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

Check out this link...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
dgadams

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:29:40 -0700, Richard Clements wrote:

I'm thinking of putting French cleats every foot up the side of the wall
starting at 4' high and going up.**To*make*the*cleats*I'm*thinking*of*using
1x2 fir and cutting a 45 on the top side, and attaching them to the wall
with 2" screws.

my question is, are the fir 1x2's going to be strong enough, or should I use
3/4 plywood cut into 2" strips with a 45 cut at the top.

then I was going to use desk deck finish or use floor wax

can anyone think of a better way to do this?

I use a French cleat system in my garage shop. I generally like to cut a
1x6 in half lengthwise at a 45 degree angle. This gives two cleats about
2.5 inches wide. I used good clear fir, and it has worked fine. If I had
it to do over I might use poplar or another hardwood depending on price.
I've also cut down 1x4's to do the same job.

I only have one cleat at about 6.5 ft. Again if doing it over I'd put one
at about 3 ft and another at 6.5 feet. I have all my cabinets and shelves
designed with cleats installed. In addition, I've made special fixtures
for holding special items (like sawhorses and clamps). I also use the
fixed cleat to support hooks and commercial tool hanging hardware.

When I sell this place, my whole shop will just lift off the walls and
come with me. This system also allows me to change my storage layout as
my interests change.

D.G. Adams