Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Softener Machine

My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:16:47 -0700, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Lift the handset. Push the digits corresponding to the manutacturer's
phone number. Hold the speaker side of the handset to your ear, and
talk into the microphone side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 7:16�am, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. �It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

You will probably have to dismantle the machine for cleaning and
replace the chemicals/cartridges inside the machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Apr 12, 7:16�am, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. �It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

You will probably have to dismantle the machine for cleaning and
replace the chemicals/cartridges inside the machine.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and was told to clean the system
with bleach. Put the bleach (1 gal) into a bucket and place the tube
from the brine tank into the bucket and recycle the softener manually.
Then open the taps in the house slowly to allow the bleach to flow thru
all the inside pipes. Let sit for a while then flush the system. Clean
the salt (brine) tank with bleach and put in new salt. Test the water
for contaminates. Worked for me. Call the sooner company to verify.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 1:16*am, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. *It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

Where generally do you live? I would like to be sure not to live
there. If they just lost water presssure, then there is a slight
chance of contamination and they are being cautious. If they really
got fecal matter into the water supply, they are totally incompetent
and should be replaces asap. The reply about using bleach is pretty
much what I have heard is the correct way to clean things out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:16:47 -0700, Kate wrote:

My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

Ask the manufacturer if the softener has to be in by-pass, if bleach
is used. It might damage the resin. Check your bags of salt/potassium
and see if it has sanitizers in it? Perhaps adding a UV light?

You can search this site (Gary used post post here).
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/index.php

"Search found 14 matches: coli
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Apr 12, 1:16 am, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

Where generally do you live? I would like to be sure not to live
there. If they just lost water presssure, then there is a slight
chance of contamination and they are being cautious. If they really
got fecal matter into the water supply, they are totally incompetent
and should be replaces asap. The reply about using bleach is pretty
much what I have heard is the correct way to clean things out.

Unfortunately, those things happen all too frequently. We had it in our
town last year and it was really not a big deal. They test the water in 7
locations every week. Two outdoor faucets showed minor contamination so
they put a ban on drinking the water for the entire town. Fact is, most
people (including our house) kept on using the water and no one ever got
sick. If you read what was tested what the readings were, etc, you'd
probably have kept on using it too. None of the indoor taps showed any
problem. Could have been a bird that crapped on the tap across town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2010 4:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:16:47 -0700, wrote:

My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

Ask the manufacturer if the softener has to be in by-pass, if bleach
is used. It might damage the resin. Check your bags of salt/potassium
and see if it has sanitizers in it? Perhaps adding a UV light?

You can search this site (Gary used post post here).
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/index.php

"Search found 14 matches: coli

Thank you for this info. Great help.
Our city is repairing lots of streets and they accidentally cut a main
water line as well as a sewer line. Unfortunately, e-coli contamination
occured.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:39:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

Our city is repairing lots of streets and they accidentally cut a main
water line as well as a sewer line. Unfortunately, e-coli contamination
occured.

I bet the same can happen in a hurricane, flooded places and all, like
Andrew or Katrina. The city elders advised to "boil" the **** out of
the water...

I'm thinking Boy Scouts, dirty water and boiling, equals potable
water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2010 6:06 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:39:34 -0700, wrote:

Our city is repairing lots of streets and they accidentally cut a main
water line as well as a sewer line. Unfortunately, e-coli contamination
occured.

Did you find a solution for sanitizing the softener?

("inquiring minds want to know")

Yes, I called the manufacturer. They said to put 2 tsp. of bleach in
the tank, and run it through a complete cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:16�am, Kate wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will be
without healthy water for about a week. �It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

You younger generation kids are funny. You've probably drank so much e-
coli and fecal matter and didn't even know it. The EPA standards for
drinking water is so strick that even if you quadrupled the amount of
e-coli and fecal matter, it wouldn't hurt you anyway.

Ever drink from a stream? A water cooler? A well? A dug well? A little
e-coli is in everybody's intestines all the time anyway. So is fecal
matter. It really isn't as scary as they want you to believe.

Relax Kate. You really don't have to do anything. Everything will be
fine.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in
:

On Apr 12, 2:16�am, Kate wrote:
[...]

While what you say is true in a strict sense, Hank, reality is sometimes
different. Life expectancy is longer in developed countries, among
which we should count the US, even rural and inner city areas (ducking),
because of sanitation. And a water softener system is a great place to
start a culture of bad bugs (DAMHIKT). Therefore, I would certainly
follow the manufacturer's directions for sanitizing or steilizing the
equipment Kate asks about.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 7:00�am, Han wrote:

[...]

But we don't subject ourselves to the mass amounts of contamination as
the 3rd world does on a daily basis.

A little dirt never hurt anybody.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in
:

On Apr 17, 7:00�am, Han wrote:

[...]

I agree that a little dirt is probably good for you, but unless I know
who's fecal matter I am drinking, I'm going to say, no thanks!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2010 3:33 AM, Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Apr 12, 2:16�am, wrote:
[...]

Well, thanks Hank. By the way, I am no spring chicken. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2010 4:00 AM, Han wrote:
"Hustlin' wrote in
:

On Apr 12, 2:16�am, wrote:
[...]

After I posted this question, the City did pass out flyers and they also
had a voice recording that called every household advising that we do
call the manufacturer water softener machines.

They also told us to dump our old ice made from the ice maker, and make
a new batch, dump that, and start over fresh.

We did have a young girl die of e-coli in the next county, but I believe
she got ill from it while in the hospital.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 7:30�pm, Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 4:00 AM, Han wrote:

"Hustlin' �wrote in
:

On Apr 12, 2:16 am, �wrote:
[...]

The water dept. adds clorine to its water all the time. That alone
will sanitize your softener as it is used. I would be more worried
about the hot water tank, because it will hold much more contaminated
water as the softener, and take much longer to flush out.

Hank ~~~doesn't sweat the small stuff