Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Water Softener Machine

On Apr 17, 7:30�pm, Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 4:00 AM, Han wrote:

"Hustlin' �wrote in
:

On Apr 12, 2:16 am, �wrote:
My town has contaminated water (e-coli and fecal matter), and we will
be without healthy water for about a week. It is now going on day
three.

Once everything is up and running again, I understand that my water
softener machine will need to be treated as well.

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow, but in the meantime, does
anyone know the steps to accomplish this.

Many thanks.

Kate

You younger generation kids are funny. You've probably drank so much
e- coli and fecal matter and didn't even know it. The EPA standards
for drinking water is so strick that even if you quadrupled the amount
of e-coli and fecal matter, it wouldn't hurt you anyway.

Ever drink from a stream? A water cooler? A well? A dug well? A little
e-coli is in everybody's intestines all the time anyway. So is fecal
matter. It really isn't as scary as they want you to believe.

Relax Kate. You really don't have to do anything. Everything will be
fine.

Hank

While what you say is true in a strict sense, Hank, reality is sometimes
different. �Life expectancy is longer in developed countries, among
which we should count the US, even rural and inner city areas (ducking),
because of sanitation. �And a water softener system is a great place to
start a culture of bad bugs (DAMHIKT). �Therefore, I would certainly
follow the manufacturer's directions for sanitizing or steilizing the
equipment Kate asks about.

After I posted this question, the City did pass out flyers and they also
had a voice recording that called every household advising that we do
call the manufacturer water softener machines.

They also told us to dump our old ice made from the ice maker, and make
a new batch, dump that, and start over fresh.

We did have a young girl die of e-coli in the next county, but I believe
she got ill from it while in the hospital.-

The water dept. adds clorine to its water all the time. That alone
will sanitize your softener as it is used. I would be more worried
about the hot water tank, because it will hold much more contaminated
water as the softener, and take much longer to flush out.

Hank ~~~doesn't sweat the small stuff