Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's with "vessel" sinks?

Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the
top, the very top!*

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in
the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work;
they already have a hole in the bottom.

Am I missing something?

----------
* Examples (best be sitting if you look)
http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/...ves-sinks.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-11, HeyBub wrote:
Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the
top, the very top!*

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in
the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work;
they already have a hole in the bottom.

Am I missing something?

Apparently. But, I'm missing it, too.

My buddy just showed me pics of his new upscale rental home (2300sqft)
down in NM. One questionable room had a sink like those. I asked him
if it was what I thought it was, a sink. I wasn't sure cuz it looked
like an upside down British Army helmet under a hand water pump. I
then asked him if it was where he let the illegal aliens water up
before moving to their next safe house. I couldn't believe anyone
would actually design/build a bathroom like this for their own home.
Looked like where grooms might wash up after brushing down sweaty
thoroughbreds in the horse barns or a 19th century spit bowl in a
small town dentist's office or even a basin where an evil sadist might
wash up his tools after a delirious fun day in the torture chambers of
some third world despot's prison. Anything but a sink in someone's
home, one where people would actually choose to live and have to use
it every day. Creepy.

Amazing what passes for cool, these days.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2010 8:59 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-04-11, wrote:
[...]

I could add that Obama's brother has one in his hut
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2010-04-11, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

They are supposed to harken to old-timey wash basins, like the servants
would bring in and fill every morning.
I agree, for real-world use, they don't seem to be real practical. Who
the hell wants a sink they have to scrub the inside and outside of? I
wonder how well they last in a house with kids?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 11, 10:18*am, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:59:04 GMT, notbob wrote:
Amazing what passes for cool, these days. *

This is just another one of those things they trick people into buying
that become dated in a couple years.
They will go the way of harvest gold leisure suits

Along with overpriced washers and dryers, stainless steel kitchen
appliances, microwaves over the stoves, useless kitchen 'islands',
double built in ovens (for huge family gatherings once in a decade),
ugly granite/stone counter tops, high maintenance decks, and all the
other trappings of a credit card debt ridden society that has no way
of paying for the new entitlements being rammed down the throats of
the gullible public. Adding to the misfortune is the fact that hardly
any of the junque on the market now can be handed down to the less
fortunate as in the past. So it goes to the leaking landfills and the
poor get poorer, still believing that Washington knows what's best for
them. Sad...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in news:a046848a-9a69-44e1-acec-4389deb0b299
@i37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

On Apr 11, 10:18*am, wrote:
[...]

Eli: "People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious
and what wasn't. We through away things people kill each other for now."

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2010-04-11, HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Let me say this about that:

They look cool, but are impractical as all hell. My wife and I had some
tradeout work with a granite outfit, so took a sink that looked like half a
boulder hollowed out. It was all polished on the inside, but not on the
outside. Looks cool sitting there on its granite countertop.

The thing that a lot of people do not consider is that most of these are
s-m-a-l-l ! You have to keep your hands directly under the little dribble
of a sprayer. And there is no way to keep from getting water everywhere.
On the outside of our boulder, when water hits it, it leaves a very dark
water spot. Oh, great, I thought, now we're going to have a mottled looking
boulder with all kinds of soap stains etc. But the water does evaporate
away, and returns to its original color.

Some I have seen are ridiculously designed, leaving hardly any room for an
average sized adult to get their hands between the sprayer and the sink.
And then the control knobs, of course, have to be something artsy fartsy and
hard to use. The water sprayer on some looks like one of those dribbly low
pressure drinking fountains at high school that we used to turn up and down
to blast people in the face.

So, to me, they are cute, and about 1/3 to 1/4 the size they should be. And
Waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

Not to mention they have to be really cleaned after every use, or they look
like glop in less than one day. If you have kids, forget about it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 8:29*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the
top, the very top!*

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in
the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work;
they already have a hole in the bottom.

Am I missing something?

I have to admit: I like the way some of them look, sitting there on
display at the Borg. Some of the glass ones are really pretty.

But they cost a ton, as you've pointed out, and they're a maintenance
nightmare, as others have.

I'll just buy a glass bowl and look at it, or serve chips in it or
something.
And stick with my one-piece vanity top and sink.

People really are sheep.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 10:07*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:29*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the
top, the very top!*

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in
the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work;
they already have a hole in the bottom.

Am I missing something?

I have to admit: *I like the way some of them look, sitting there on
display at the Borg. *Some of the glass ones are really pretty.

I think they look dumb, but...

But they cost a ton, as you've pointed out, and they're a maintenance
nightmare, as others have.

Just the water spots and cleaning around them has to be the pits.

I'll just buy a glass bowl and look at it, or serve chips in it or
something.
And stick with my one-piece vanity top and sink.

Ours are undermount on granite. I like 'em. Nice, clean lines, and
easy to clean. ;-)

People really are sheep.

Yup. Anything to look different, except that everyone is different
the same way. ;-)