Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What's with "vessel" sinks?

notbob wrote:
On 2010-04-11, HeyBub wrote:
Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the
top, the very top!*

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in
the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work;
they already have a hole in the bottom.

Am I missing something?

Apparently. But, I'm missing it, too.

My buddy just showed me pics of his new upscale rental home (2300sqft)
down in NM. One questionable room had a sink like those. I asked him
if it was what I thought it was, a sink. I wasn't sure cuz it looked
like an upside down British Army helmet under a hand water pump. I
then asked him if it was where he let the illegal aliens water up
before moving to their next safe house. I couldn't believe anyone
would actually design/build a bathroom like this for their own home.
Looked like where grooms might wash up after brushing down sweaty
thoroughbreds in the horse barns or a 19th century spit bowl in a
small town dentist's office or even a basin where an evil sadist might
wash up his tools after a delirious fun day in the torture chambers of
some third world despot's prison. Anything but a sink in someone's
home, one where people would actually choose to live and have to use
it every day. Creepy.

Amazing what passes for cool, these days.

nb

They are supposed to harken to old-timey wash basins, like the servants
would bring in and fill every morning.
I agree, for real-world use, they don't seem to be real practical. Who
the hell wants a sink they have to scrub the inside and outside of? I
wonder how well they last in a house with kids?

--
aem sends...