Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken Roof Truss

I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some construction
adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...russ-web-2.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve McElrath" wrote in message
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some construction
adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...russ-web-2.jpg

Never dealt with it as a truss. I have encountered something close as a
rafter.

If it were mine, I would sister on both sides the full length of the run and
call it done. I would use a lot of nails or screws and stagger them.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...ut/structural_...

Never dealt with it as a truss. *I have encountered something close as a
rafter.

If it were mine, I would sister on both sides the full length of the run and
call it done. I would use a lot of nails or screws and stagger them.

Colbyt

I agree with Colby, wouldn't hurt to add construction adhesive as you
proposed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 9, 6:19*pm, "Steve McElrath" wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. *It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some construction
adhesive.

snip

The construction adhesive (assuming good quality) will do more for
strength than a whole bunch of screws or nails. In fact to do a
superior job, the sistered stud needs to be well clamped in place
before any fasteners are used. For fasteners some prefer ring shanked
nails or star head construction screws.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote the following:
On Apr 9, 6:54 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

....and lag bolts instead of screws.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 12:19�am, "Steve McElrath"
wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. �It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some construction
adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...ut/structural_...

Be sure to clean off any dirt before applying the glue. Wire (hand)
brush & vacuum ceaner. Use as many G clamps as you can lay your hands
on. Put a piece on each side of the same size as your truss extending
at least two feet beyond the break each way. When it's clamped up
good and tight, then put the screws in, both sides. Leave the clamps
on for a week.
Your repair splices need to have no knots & be decent timber. Water
poof/resisting glue would be best.
Your truss may have been broken since the house was constructed.
"Shakes" (cracks) in the timber can open up as the timber dries.
Shakes are caused when the tree hits the ground when it's felled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:57:48 -0400, willshak
wrote:

hr(bob) wrote the following:
On Apr 9, 6:54 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

No - do NOT use lag bolts. Many screws in a roughly 2 or 3 inch grid
will hold more and weaken the structure less than larger lag screws. I
would definitely also glue the joint - good carpenter's glue would be
adequate, and urethane glue like Gorilla Glue Or Leapages PL Premium
would be excellent. drill the sister plates ovesize for one screw
every 2 feet or so to pull the repair together firmly then drive the
remaining screws. Properly screwsd together clamping would be totally
redundant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 7:19*pm, "Steve McElrath" wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. *It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some construction
adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...tructural_...A few years ago I

A few years ago I did a repair like this and contacted an engineer
buddy for advice. I placed strips of 1/2 plywood 8 ft long on either
side of the truss Plywood ran the length of the brace overlapping the
gussets.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the advice. I am inclined to believe that the break
occurred long ago, since the crack is pretty dirty.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy more Jorgenson clamps.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve McElrath wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss.
Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some
construction adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...russ-web-2.jpg

I'd use some method of pulling it together before sistering anything to
it. I'd probably get creative with some cable, eye hooks and a
turnbuckle to bring it together, then sister one side, screws and glue!
After a few days I'd remove the cable if in the way then sister the
other side. Yes more small screws instead of less large ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof
truss. Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some
construction adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...russ-web-2.jpg

I'd use some method of pulling it together before sistering anything to
it. I'd probably get creative with some cable, eye hooks and a
turnbuckle to bring it together, then sister one side, screws and glue!
After a few days I'd remove the cable if in the way then sister the
other side. Yes more small screws instead of less large ones.

Lordy. It is a residential roof truss, not a damn bridge. Some 2x4s
across adjacent trusses, top and bottom, and some hammered-in stiff legs
between the 2x4s, and you can take all the load off the broken piece.
Same concept as making a temporary wall when you have to work on a
load-bearing partition. Either switch the broken board out and use new
nailers or gussets to tie it back in, or sister both sides.

I probably wouldn't even make it that complicated. Measure the same
piece on next truss over to get the length, cut the replacement, remove
broken piece, reinstall using some sort of lever or jack if needed to
get it back on the original mount points. I'd probably use a saber saw
and metal blade to cut away that part of nailer plates, and put it back
with oversize plywood gussets. A few dabs of construction adhesive to
position them, and then screw the hell out of them. I used to see
similar work done all the time down south, to repair where an HVAC guy
butchered trusses to install something.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 9:23*am, aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

The easiest thing to do if its broken like the OP showed in the
picture is to just take that part out an replace it. There is no load
on the thing.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

Well you mention some type of lever or jack, that sounds fine but until
now no one mentioned pulling the broken joist together before sistering
it. Maybe just a strong ratchet strap would pull it together? Whatever
works. Just do it BEFORE sistering it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

Before I did that I would make 2 cuts through the break about 1" apart
so the two pieces do not touch when pulled back into place. When you get
the correct length temporarily screw a 2x2 on the top side of both
halves to keep the truss true (keeping the ratchet strap in place).

Once you sister the truss on both sides (glue it and screw it) you can
remove the 2x2 and strap... and Bob's your uncle!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

What? No load? If there were no load on it the broken ends would be
together and this thread never would have started.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ned Flanders wrote:
Tony wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

Sounds good to me. Without cutting a section out it is doubtful the
ends would perfectly mate again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

Load like in a windstorm or after a foot of snow in winter, or after the
roofers dropped a whole skid of shingles right there. On a calm day,
that strut is mainly holding the ceiling up below it. Trusses are so the
rafters and ceiling joists can be real puny, and you can skip having a
ridge beam. And mainly because they go up faster than a stick-built
roof, and you don't need an expert there every day.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
[...]

If there were no load on it now, the broken ends would be together.

Repairing the roof truss MiamiCuse Home Repair 50 November 6th 19 02:44 AM
roof truss repair question MiamiCuse Woodworking 6 October 8th 07 09:02 AM
Roof Truss has rotted ends- how can I fix it? lmurden6 Home Repair 3 October 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Fixing a roof truss Tim Downie UK diy 27 March 12th 06 08:27 PM
Loft conversion in truss roof Nick Wilson UK diy 4 May 25th 05 10:30 AM