Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Broken Roof Truss

aemeijers wrote:
Tony wrote:
Steve McElrath wrote:
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof
truss. Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Rather then replacing it, I was just thinking about sistering in (or
sandwiching it ) another 2x4 with some screws and maybe some
construction adhesive.

This pic I found is a pretty good likeness of it.

http://midfloridahomeinspectors.com/...russ-web-2.jpg

I'd use some method of pulling it together before sistering anything
to it. I'd probably get creative with some cable, eye hooks and a
turnbuckle to bring it together, then sister one side, screws and
glue! After a few days I'd remove the cable if in the way then sister
the other side. Yes more small screws instead of less large ones.

Lordy. It is a residential roof truss, not a damn bridge. Some 2x4s
across adjacent trusses, top and bottom, and some hammered-in stiff legs
between the 2x4s, and you can take all the load off the broken piece.
Same concept as making a temporary wall when you have to work on a
load-bearing partition. Either switch the broken board out and use new
nailers or gussets to tie it back in, or sister both sides.

I probably wouldn't even make it that complicated. Measure the same
piece on next truss over to get the length, cut the replacement, remove
broken piece, reinstall using some sort of lever or jack if needed to
get it back on the original mount points. I'd probably use a saber saw
and metal blade to cut away that part of nailer plates, and put it back
with oversize plywood gussets. A few dabs of construction adhesive to
position them, and then screw the hell out of them. I used to see
similar work done all the time down south, to repair where an HVAC guy
butchered trusses to install something.

Well you mention some type of lever or jack, that sounds fine but until
now no one mentioned pulling the broken joist together before sistering
it. Maybe just a strong ratchet strap would pull it together? Whatever
works. Just do it BEFORE sistering it!