Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Truss has rotted ends- how can I fix it?

Hi Everyone!
Any help would be great.
I have a metal roof that has wood trusses supporting it. The wood
trusses extend about a foot outward past the start of the walls on 2 of
the 4 sides of the bldg. They are A-frame shaped trusses. The truss
ends are covered by roof but their underside is exposed to the
elements. The ends of the trusses are rotted out. The rotted part is
not structural/supportive, appears to be just decorative. No
supportive/structural areas are experiencing rot.
Is there a product that can be applied to the end to build it back
up? Can I cut the end off and attach new pieces, possibly by drilling
and putting dowels in between the old piece and new piece? What are my
options to fix this without having to remove the roof and replace the
trusses? I can do lots of wood work myself but am not sure what to do
to fix this ugly problem...

Thanks-
LD Murden

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to find out what happened to this set of tails.

I assume that the roofing had failed or was poorly installed
allowing water to invade the end grain. This problem needs to be
addressed first.

I think you are asking how to make them look better.
You could have some sheet metal caps made to cover the
existing tails. These can be made from pre-colored aluminum or
steel to be held on with 1 or 2 screws.
You could sister the existing tails, create a fascia, and
install a soffit.
Either method could be made to work with a gutter, though the
fascia and soffit would be more direct.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"lmurden6" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

System 3 makes an epoxy product called Rotfix that is poured into
drilled holes in the rotted wood. It hardens up quite well to where it
can accept a nail. You can find it at Woodcraft.com. No affiliation.
Tom
lmurden6 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Oct 2006 06:13:51 -0700, "lmurden6" wrote:

[...]

If this was my project, I'd just use a sawsall and cut off 6 inches or
so. Then sister some pieces on the ends. I'm guessing this to be a
2X6. Cut it off, put a 6" piece of 2x6 back on the end, and apply a
12" piece on both sides. Then apply galvanized nails or screws. That
will be strong, and do a neat job. I'd use treated wood for all the
pieces. You may want to apply some sort of metal facia over the whole
thing to get rid of all the exposed wood when you make the patches.