Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Roof Truss has rotted ends- how can I fix it?

You need to find out what happened to this set of tails.

I assume that the roofing had failed or was poorly installed
allowing water to invade the end grain. This problem needs to be
addressed first.

I think you are asking how to make them look better.
You could have some sheet metal caps made to cover the
existing tails. These can be made from pre-colored aluminum or
steel to be held on with 1 or 2 screws.
You could sister the existing tails, create a fascia, and
install a soffit.
Either method could be made to work with a gutter, though the
fascia and soffit would be more direct.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"lmurden6" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone!
Any help would be great.
I have a metal roof that has wood trusses supporting it.
The wood
trusses extend about a foot outward past the start of the walls
on 2 of
the 4 sides of the bldg. They are A-frame shaped trusses. The
truss
ends are covered by roof but their underside is exposed to the
elements. The ends of the trusses are rotted out. The rotted
part is
not structural/supportive, appears to be just decorative. No
supportive/structural areas are experiencing rot.
Is there a product that can be applied to the end to build it
back
up? Can I cut the end off and attach new pieces, possibly by
drilling
and putting dowels in between the old piece and new piece? What
are my
options to fix this without having to remove the roof and
replace the
trusses? I can do lots of wood work myself but am not sure what
to do
to fix this ugly problem...

Thanks-
LD Murden