Nick Wilson

Default Loft conversion in truss roof

Hi

This is slightly OT as I don't plan to do it myself but...

We have a truss roof (if that's the right term for a roof thats made up
from an array of prefabricated wooden triangles). The roof space is
full of criss-cross wooden beams so I guess that a loft conversion
would require a complete new roof. Has anyone here done a loft
conversion on a roof like this and what was involved?

Many thanks

Nick

Nick Wilson wrote:
Hi

This is slightly OT as I don't plan to do it myself but...

We have a truss roof (if that's the right term for a roof thats made

up
from an array of prefabricated wooden triangles). The roof space is
full of criss-cross wooden beams so I guess that a loft conversion
would require a complete new roof. Has anyone here done a loft
conversion on a roof like this and what was involved?

Many thanks

Nick

My sister had one done. Putting it simply, they (the builders) put in a
steel frame resting on the house walls to support the new floor,
massive new timbers to hold up the roof (which may have been tied to
the steels at the bottom - I didn't see that bit) and then cut away the
old trusses. The existing roof covering remained in place throughout
except for a small area of the existing tiles and felt removed to allow
materials to be craned in.

They lost a lot of headroom in the process and ended up with something
which I think was a waste of money. It cost =A345K 3-4 years ago but
that included a new en-suite in half of the bedroom that they lost to
fit in the new staircase, fancy lighting and solid wood flooring so I
don't know how much the bare conversion would have been. Apparently the
insulation part of the building regs changed sometime during the
planning stage and they lost more headroom than they thought due to the
extra insulation. I reckon they lost at least 12" with the raised floor
and lowered roof.

MBQ

Baz

"Nick Wilson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

This is slightly OT as I don't plan to do it myself but...

We have a truss roof (if that's the right term for a roof thats made up
from an array of prefabricated wooden triangles). The roof space is
full of criss-cross wooden beams so I guess that a loft conversion
would require a complete new roof. Has anyone here done a loft
conversion on a roof like this and what was involved?

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick.
My mate used these guys two years ago.
http://www.trussloft.co.uk/
Super job for about 30k.
You need a minimum of 2.3m.
Height is measured from the top surface of the ceiling of the room below, to
the top surface of the truss rafter at the apex of the loft.
Baz

Nick Wilson wrote:
Hi

This is slightly OT as I don't plan to do it myself but...

We have a truss roof (if that's the right term for a roof thats made

up
from an array of prefabricated wooden triangles). The roof space is
full of criss-cross wooden beams so I guess that a loft conversion
would require a complete new roof. Has anyone here done a loft
conversion on a roof like this and what was involved?

Many thanks

Nick

the extra wood enables them to make it all from matchsticks. New larger
wood can be added alongside the existing roof timbers, then the
matchwood forest cut away.

There may be more to it though, eg bracing, purlins, firebreak, etc.

NT