Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Purchasing a house with animal damage.....

I have a lead on a home in an excellent area of town, prime area
in fact, and at a great price.
However, the home has animal damage.

Apparently the widow who owned it, let her dogs **** and crap all
over the place.

I've inspected it and it literally looks like a flood has taken
place.

IOW up to 6 inches up every wall I can see stains which I am
assuming are pee pee stains.
It looks like the house had a flood 6 inches high!

I realize the rugs have to go, but how do I clean up the rest of
the mess?

Can I just remove the baseboard molding's, clean, paint and be
done with it?

Also the house has hot water baseboard heating and the miserable
little creatures have peed on everyone of the baseboard units to
the point that the covers are rusted!!!

Any ideas on how to clean this up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:51:05 -0400, Pouch wrote:

[...]

Rip everything to the studs and start over. There is a reason why the house
is going for a "great price".
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You will get a lot of feedback on this one, I'm sure.

My house had two dogs from the previous owner that did the same thing.
I kept the house vacant for six months as we worked on it. Threw out
the baseboard, carpet, vinyl, etc, etc....ETC!

I had asked the owner to drop the price by $25,000 and she accepted
the offer.

Once I worked in a house, for a RE agent, getting ready to market the
home. That house had a pet pot-bellied pig living in it and running
all about the home. Yep, even the landscape needed work G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:51*pm, Pouch wrote:
[...]

If it was really peed on the floors, the wood floors may be not
saveable, it may have to go to the stud to get rid of the smell, there
are special primers sold for fire damage that may salvage the walls,
the radiators, who knows a powerwashing would be good and then you
wont know how it all does till the heat is on, its cheap for a reason,
and maybe not cheap enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pouch wrote:
[...]

After doing the obvious, get an Ozone generator and turn it loose. Now don't
get a piddly Ozone generator like you see on Ebay, get a BIG one.

They are used to rehab houses where dead things, mostly dead things, and
very dead things have been left for extended periods. In the summer. In New
Orleans.

You can contact a funeral home or your county medical examiner to discover
where they got theirs. These folks can also point you to companies in your
local that do this sort of work (hey, somebody has to deal with the hulls
after a vampire strike).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 5, 5:51*pm, Pouch wrote:
[...]

Call ServiceMaster and get a bid on their professional cleanup. It may
be advantageous to have their expertise on such a massive problem.
There may be much you can do, but there is also the time factor to
consider. Perhaps they could work with you in stages, as there may be
a lot of remove/replace of damaged structure. Good luck...it won't be
cheap.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pouch" wrote in message
.. .
I have a lead on a home in an excellent area of town, prime area
in fact, and at a great price.
However, the home has animal damage.

Also the house has hot water baseboard heating and the miserable
little creatures have peed on everyone of the baseboard units to
the point that the covers are rusted!!!

My grandmother let a relative rent her house for a year while she did a year
in the peace corps. No one knew she had 5 dogs, and that she never bothered
to let them out into the fenced-in yard. The house was utterly trashed when
my grandmother got home.

Here's what you need to do. You will have to rip up the floors and subfloors
down to the joists and at least 2' of drywall from the floors up. You will
have to get replacement covers for the baseboard units (cheap, but a pain to
install) and you might have to replace some of the piping. Anything less and
the first time the heat comes on the entire house will smell like a sewer.
Check the electrical. It's quite possible that there is a lot of damage to
outlets from all the urine, to say nothing of wiring that might be sitting
in standing puddles of "output".

However much you think it will cost to fix, triple it, and you just might be
close. I would RUN away from this "great price".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pouch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There is no way to clean this up. I would run away from this "deal", and in
this soft market, buy another where I could get a decent price, and then
have some money left to remodel, and do things that don't involve cleaning
up crap. The damage is there, and nothing short of a natural gas explosion
is going to change it.

Does the house have natural gas?

Hey, it's an idea.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pouch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A 5 gallon can of diesel and a lighter...LOL..Seriously , plan on a complete
gut ...I would run away from it unless you could get it for just the cost of
the land..A "cat lady" who had dozens of cats in her house , some dead and
about 3 feet of crap on the floor was evicted from her city condemned home
and it cost close to 100 grand to fix...The guy who bought it got it for
like 12 grand..It was close to the harbor with views so he made out but I
doubt that's the norm and somebody from out of state bought it...I wouldn't
live in it if it were free even AFTER the reno...Just knowing about it would
turn my stomach.......HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/05/2010 11:21 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
[...]

unless it's so cheap that you can tear everything down to the framing
and start over. Seriously, it's the only way. Might even have to
shellac the framing if it's that damaged.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 6:48*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Pouch wrote:
[...]

after a vampire strike).- Hide quoted text -

Ozone works, but Ozone is a poison, bad for the lungs, it Oxidises
them too. There are strick Gov exposure limits for ozone easily
googled. I would never use one or even an electrostatic air filter as
they output Ozone as a by product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Ozone works, but Ozone is a poison, bad for the lungs, it Oxidises
them too. There are strick Gov exposure limits for ozone easily
googled. I would never use one or even an electrostatic air filter as
they output Ozone as a by product.

Right. I forgot to mention prudent safety precautions mandate that one
should wear eye and ear protection when working around Ozone. Rubber-soled
shoes and a safety harness would not be out of place either.

Thunderstorms produce copious quantities of Ozone. That's why all the
knowledgeable people are migrating to Arizona and Nevada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pouch wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Dog is not as bad as cat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Don't. Get another house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 5, 6:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Pouch wrote:
[...]

Ya don't run it while house is occupied. You seal up house, tape
windows, etc, post big warning signs, and kick it on as you go out the
door. Leave it sealed up and running a week or so, and then vent the
place a day before you start working on it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:51:05 -0400, Pouch wrote:

Thanks everyone!
I've decided to move on to another property because there is
nothing special about this house, location or price that would
make it worth all the work required to repair the damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2010 6:27 PM, Pouch wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:51:05 -0400, Pouch wrote:

Thanks everyone!
I've decided to move on to another property because there is
nothing special about this house, location or price that would
make it worth all the work required to repair the damage.

Smart move! You deserve better than all of that mess.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
On 4/6/2010 6:27 PM, Pouch wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:51:05 -0400, Pouch wrote:

Thanks everyone!
I've decided to move on to another property because there is
nothing special about this house, location or price that would
make it worth all the work required to repair the damage.

Smart move! You deserve better than all of that mess.

Good luck.

Kate! Is that you? Some of the guys were wondering where you
got off to.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Purchasing a house with animal damage.....- Kate is Back - LOL

Kate wrote:
On 4/6/2010 6:27 PM, Pouch wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:51:05 -0400, Pouch wrote:

Thanks everyone!
I've decided to move on to another property because there is
nothing special about this house, location or price that would
make it worth all the work required to repair the damage.

Smart move! You deserve better than all of that mess.

Good luck.

Kate! Is that you? Some of the guys were wondering where you
got off to.

TDD

Hey, yes, it is me. It is so good to know that I am missed.
LOL. I felt like a pest.

I saw the earlier post and someone made a comment that a woman does not
get harassed for asking dumb questions. My feeling is that I won't
learn if I don't ask. (Smile).

I am not on here a lot as I don't have much to offer in the way of
answers, but I try when I can.

I did some more crown molding and this time it went in my guest
bathroom. I am now through with this project.

My laminate wood floor project came out fantastic. I am now in the
process of installing sile stone counter tops. The owner can't come out
until April 27th, so that is where I stand until then.

As always, I love all the great help I get from this group,
as well as the chuckles.

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Kate wrote:
On 4/6/2010 6:27 PM, Pouch wrote:
[...]

It must be the little sister syndrome. I have tons of adopted ones.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:48:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

You can contact a funeral home or your county medical examiner to discover
where they got theirs. These folks can also point you to companies in your
local that do this sort of work (hey, somebody has to deal with the hulls
after a vampire strike).

Very unfair. Vampires only kill a couple people at a time, at most,
if only because good looking women are hard to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can contact a funeral home or your county medical examiner to
discover where they got theirs. These folks can also point you to
companies in your local that do this sort of work (hey, somebody has
to deal with the hulls after a vampire strike).

Very unfair. Vampires only kill a couple people at a time, at most,
if only because good looking women are hard to find.

Here's a tip that may save your life!

This business about a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire is pure
Hollywood bull****. If you read Bram Stoker's book, "Dracula," you'll find
that the instrument of choice is a BOWIE KNIFE, not some ****ant tent-peg!

I'm in Texas. We have a LOT of Bowie Knives in Texas and hardly any vampire
problem at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

You can contact a funeral home or your county medical examiner to
discover where they got theirs. These folks can also point you to
companies in your local that do this sort of work (hey, somebody has
to deal with the hulls after a vampire strike).

Very unfair. Vampires only kill a couple people at a time, at most,
if only because good looking women are hard to find.

Here's a tip that may save your life!

This business about a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire is pure
Hollywood bull****. If you read Bram Stoker's book, "Dracula," you'll find

I did read the book. It was the only scary book I ever read, that is,
the only one that actually had the scary effect. Because books are
just words on paper and most didnt' drag me in as far as one ten-page
part of Dracula did. I was 12 or 14 , not sure it would work at my
age, even if it was the first time reading it.

that the instrument of choice is a BOWIE KNIFE, not some ****ant tent-peg!

I'm in Texas. We have a LOT of Bowie Knives in Texas and hardly any vampire
problem at all.

You should give one to person driving into Texas.