Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Horizontal TV Antenna Separation

Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided
I'll just get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena
of this type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Horizontal separation from *what*?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2010 10:18 AM, Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Sounds as if you are trying to feed 2 separate devices. If so, the potential
problem would be mutual reflections of the received signals between the 2
antennas. That would set up multi-path ("ghost" problems in the days of analog
signals) reception in both antennas. The end result would be degraded signal
strength for at least some of the stations received.
The information to accurately answer the question (and not available) is the
reception pattern of both antennas. If both are highly directional, you are
likely to have less problems. If either or both of them are multi-directional
or omni-directional, you may need more separation to avoid problems.

If you have the room in your attic, I would try to align both antennas parallel
to each other, or vertical to each other, rather than 1 in front of the other.
Also, the signal loss through an additional 10-20 feet of coax is so minimal
that in general, I would try to space the 2 antennas as far apart from each
other as room allowed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Hi,
Being receiving antenna it's not that critical.
Bigger antenna should be behind smaller one pointing to
same direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Being receiving antenna it's not that critical.
Bigger antenna should be behind smaller one pointing to
same direction.

Nope!

The one in front may well "shield" the one in back.

Insofar as reasonable they should be next to each other with a line between
the two masts being perpendicular to the line to the signal (the TV station
antenna).

They should be separate at a minimum by the longest element of either
antenna. That's the element furthest away from what the antenna is pointed
at. (That's on the order of 4'.) IOW: no part of either antenna should be
closer than 4' from the other antenna. If you "do the math" that means you
need a space of about 12' side to side to mount the two antennae.

Frankly, you would likely be better served is you just mount the larger
antenna and install an antenna amplifier at the antenna and then an
amplifying splitter in the house to feed you TVs including splitters added
to permit moving the sets about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

What is a HD antenna?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:18*am, "Frank McElrath" wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:18 am, "Frank wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

Hi,
Right, antenna does not know what signal it is carrying. Antenna is
designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

[...]

Huh?
Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:35 pm, Tony wrote:
Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.
Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

What is a HD antenna?

From Home Depot

Nope, it means High Dollar. You get this kewel sticker on the side, so
everybody knows.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:54:12 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:18 am, "Frank wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

Hi,
Right, antenna does not know what signal it is carrying. Antenna is
designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.

Be careful, a lot of the antennas marketed as "Digital" or "HD" are
actually *less* capable -- some only mention "UHF" in smaller print.
While many VHF stations moved to UHF as part of the transition, many
did not. Some only moved from VHF-lo (2-6) to VHF-Hi (7-13), but a
few markets still VHF-lo stations. So there are a lot of markets that
still require a VHF antenna (including where I am, with channels 9 and
10 still in use, and those are the ones I have the most trouble
receiving with my indoor rabbit ears), and the antenna makers are
lying when they don't point this out on the box.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided
I'll just get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena
of this type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

This is similar to windmills in parts of West Texas. Sometimes there's only
enough wind for one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Yes, I have.

But not for TV use.

TV antenna are designed for the "TV bands."

The LP is for broad band use. At higher frequences effectively the
"bigger" parts of the antenna aren't in the picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:18 am, "Frank wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll
just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of
this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

Yes, but ....

Your standard "old style" TV antenna effectively combined the main signal
with "delayed" versons of the same signal. (The "delay" was on the order
of nano seconds.) Since a lot of the information is a digital signal is is
subtle phase shifts ...

There are "bed spring" UHF antennas which combine signals from several
elements with each element seeing the same phase.

Hi,
Right, antenna does not know what signal it is carrying. Antenna is
designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:09:45 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Yes, I have.

But not for TV use.

TV antenna are designed for the "TV bands."

The LP is for broad band use. At higher frequences effectively the
"bigger" parts of the antenna aren't in the picture.

Log periodics are a common design for UHF antennas. One popular brand used in
the '70s was the "Zig-A-Log".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=1009386
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 10:18*am, "Frank McElrath" wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024...

First off, what is wrong with your present antenna? Does it get good
signal now? If it does, you could probably feed another TV with a
splitter and still get decent signal strength. If not, then you should
put in an amp close to the antenna. You won't know until you try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Yes, I have.

But not for TV use.

TV antenna are designed for the "TV bands."

The LP is for broad band use. At higher frequences effectively the
"bigger" parts of the antenna aren't in the picture.

Hi,
Then you must know how LP array is interlaced.
It can act like a reflector. Can't tell until tried.
Antenna is still empirically designed starting with a drawing
based on theory. Scaled down model antennas, full scale ones
out at the testing range. I could never create an antenna based
on paper work. Until you try you never know that's why I made that
suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 4:21*pm, aemeijers wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:35 pm, Tony wrote:
Frank McElrath wrote:
Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just
get an additional one with a dedicated lead.
Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this
type:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out...ption/dp/B0024....
What is a HD antenna?

From Home Depot

Nope, it means High Dollar. You get this kewel sticker on the side, so
everybody knows.

--
aem sends...

I bet you go to any retailer, and the "salesjerks" are going to lie to
everyone and say "you need a Digital antenna for your digital tv"
what a scam its been
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 8:13*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

ransley wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:18 am, "Frank *wrote:
[...]

designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.- Hide quoted text -

The old antennas are just rebadged to Digital from my searches, post a
refrence to this delay theory, I havnt heard about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 5:26�pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:04:14 -0400, Peter wrote:

[...]

Digital does not conform to the old analog standards. You either have
a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv. There is no
ghosting or snow. � I doubt if the OP will have problems if the
antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.- Hide quoted text -

If the signal's bad, you get "pixilating"on your picture. Heavy rain,
snow or even a tree in the way can cause this apart from simple
distance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 11:21*am, harry wrote:
[...]

distance.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, but when the signal is good, the picture really is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

[snip]

You either have
a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv. There is no
ghosting or snow.

That last sentence is true. The one before it is NOT.

You commonly get a picture that goes on and off, or is full of blocks
(pixellation), and intermittent audio ("...hi....s....he
bes...ict......ur....ver"). That's NOT good picture and sound, and
certainly NOT none at all.

[snip]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:35:52 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 5, 11:21*am, harry wrote:
[...]

If you like compression artifacts, I suppose.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[...]

Why do people keep saying that? It's like they've never actually
watched ota tv.

There are various kinds of bad picture. There is picture that goes
blank and then good, or half way good, and sound that goes in and out.

If the nearby stations come in well, and even they don't always, then
stations a little farther away can give trouble.

There is no
ghosting or snow. I doubt if the OP will have problems if the
antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 03:45:51 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

Digital does not conform to the old analog standards. You either have
a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv.

Why do people keep saying that? It's like they've never actually
watched ota tv.

Too many people have a bad habit of repeating stuff without thinking
about it.

There are various kinds of bad picture. There is picture that goes
blank and then good, or half way good, and sound that goes in and out.

If the nearby stations come in well, and even they don't always, then
stations a little farther away can give trouble.

There is no
ghosting or snow. I doubt if the OP will have problems if the
antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 03:45:51 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

Digital does not conform to the old analog standards. You either have
a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv.

Why do people keep saying that? It's like they've never actually
watched ota tv.

There are various kinds of bad picture. There is picture that goes
blank and then good, or half way good, and sound that goes in and out.

If the nearby stations come in well, and even they don't always, then
stations a little farther away can give trouble.

There is no
ghosting or snow. I doubt if the OP will have problems if the
antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.

"..is .ict..e .s .aso..tely ..rfec.!"