Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Serious wildlife question

No smartass remarks, please- a serious question. How hard can a wild
turkey peck? Is it hard enough to break an insulated glass panel in a
sliding door? I threw some birdseed out onto the deck, since I was too
lazy to suit up just to fill the bird feeders in the rain, and the
cardinals that were lined up on schedule looked so sad and wet. Half an
hour later, sitting here in the other room at the computer, I hear a
loud banging from the kitchen, and run to investigate. I find a young
tom repeatedly and with increasing ferver, pecking/head butting his
reflection in the very dirty glass. 3 or 4 of his buddies were raptly
watching, so he wasn't backing off. I had to actually bang on the glass
to spook them back down into the yard, when usually ANY movement on my
side of the glass sends them scurrying.

I don't wanna come home to find my kitchen open to the outdoors, and
covered with glass. How long does turkey spring tough guy season last?

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2010 7:04 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Off hand, I don't think he could break the glass. His beak would be an
order of magnitude softer than glass and there is probably not enough
weight behind it. I'd set up a barrier to be on the safe side. We've
got a squirrel trying to bust through our slider. Hard head makes a lot
of noise when he hits the glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I live near a provincial wilderness park and have to deal with wildlife
year round. I know deer can crash through patio glass door but never
heard birds broke a glass pane. They will learn quick and won't waste
their energy. But then I have a wood pecker pecking at steel street lamp
pole one in a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:04:59 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

[...]

I don't think pecking from a turkey will break tempered sliding glass
doors panes. Tempered glass is easier broken at the side edge. It just
takes a scratch.

I have seen where golf balls have broken them. Somewhere I have some
pictures (cell phone quality) where an owl flew into a slider
(Andersen). When the bird hit the glass, it KNOCKED all the desert
dust off him. We could see the outline of it's feathers on the glass.

Turkey season?
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

[...]

the turkey is attacking his REFLECTION in the glass,it's a "rival" to him.
turn on a light behind it or put up some paper to block the reflection,and
he'll go away.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:37:22 -0800, Oren wrote:

pictures (cell phone quality) where an owl flew into a slider
(Andersen). When the bird hit the glass, it KNOCKED all the desert
dust off him. We could see the outline of it's feathers on the glass.

I found the pictures. What you see is DUST on the glass, not the
bird.

Owl dust on glass:

http://i41.tinypic.com/nbf69w.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/258477s.jpg

Best from the cell phone camera!

http://i41.tinypic.com/23lguqh.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even without breaking the glass, that turkey gonna have a
sore pecker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message

Off hand, I don't think he could break the glass. His beak
would be an
order of magnitude softer than glass and there is probably
not enough
weight behind it. I'd set up a barrier to be on the safe
side. We've
got a squirrel trying to bust through our slider. Hard head
makes a lot
of noise when he hits the glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:

I live near a provincial wilderness park and have to deal with wildlife
year round. I know deer can crash through patio glass door but never
heard birds broke a glass pane. They will learn quick and won't waste
their energy.

Bull****. Last year, some little bird in the wren family showed up in our
front yard around the beginning of April, and began pecking at his reflection
in our bay window. PECK! PECK! ... .PECK! PECK! every minute or two, all day
long, from April to September.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

It all depends on the turkey. Some will grasp that it is not another turkey
in the window quicker than others, but some will not and just keep going at
it. Birds of the same species have very different reactions to reflections.
And it may have something to do with the time of year related to whether or
not it is mating season. During that time, their behavior changes
drastically, something like pubertyhood in humans.

If this bird makes a practice of this, try taping some newspaper or a towel
to the outside so he/she does not get a reflection. They might just go
away, or be replaced with another one.

The birds are huge, and I do believe they could come through on a bird
strike. We live in the country, and have had some pretty hard strikes by
some large birds, and were just waiting for the sound of breaking glass.
They do leave an amusing feather dust print on the windows. Sometimes it
kills them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:04:59 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

No smartass remarks, please- a serious question. How hard can a wild
turkey peck? Is it hard enough to break an insulated glass panel in a
sliding door?

Interesting question! I found a small cone-shaped (about 1.4" wide on the
outside of the glass, 3/4" on the inside) chunk missing out of a large
picture window last year. I always figured I'd just caught a stone that
I'd missed before mowing - but you've got me wondering now.

We've seen woodpeckers in the flower bed immediately in front of that
window a few times, and the hole's at perfect "beak height" (although, of
course, it's also a good height for a stone kicked up by the mower :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2010 6:04 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Just the other night on the news they had a story about a
turkey that flew through a second story office window.
It apparently wasn't badly hurt. Somebody caught it and
it was to be released in a wilderness area.

This was not a patio door, this was a single pane glass window.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:04:59 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

No smartass remarks, please- a serious question. How hard can a wild
turkey peck? Is it hard enough to break an insulated glass panel in a
sliding door?

Interesting question! I found a small cone-shaped (about 1.4" wide on the
outside of the glass, 3/4" on the inside) chunk missing out of a large
picture window last year. I always figured I'd just caught a stone that
I'd missed before mowing - but you've got me wondering now.

Sounds like a strike from *inside* the house. I've never noticed a
bigger chunk missing on the side towards the impact.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:32:03 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Interesting question! I found a small cone-shaped (about 1.4" wide on
the outside of the glass, 3/4" on the inside) chunk missing out of a
large picture window last year. I always figured I'd just caught a stone
that I'd missed before mowing - but you've got me wondering now.

Sounds like a strike from *inside* the house. I've never noticed a
bigger chunk missing on the side towards the impact.

Typo! I was a fumble-fingers this morning, and my 1/4" came out as
1.4"... :-)

It was definitely an outside strike, and most likely a rock thrown up by
the mower, but the thread's interesting as I'd not considered a bird/
reflection problem before (we found it in spring last year, presumably
when it's mating season and male birds are most territorial). Whether a
woodpecker could break glass, I don't know, but they must pack quite a
punch.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:04:59 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

No smartass remarks, please- a serious question. How hard can a wild
turkey peck? Is it hard enough to break an insulated glass panel in a
sliding door?

Interesting question! I found a small cone-shaped (about 1.4" wide on the
outside of the glass, 3/4" on the inside) chunk missing out of a large
picture window last year. I always figured I'd just caught a stone that
I'd missed before mowing - but you've got me wondering now.

Sounds like a strike from *inside* the house. I've never noticed a
bigger chunk missing on the side towards the impact.

Jim

The "Hertzian cone" happens in a piece of glass when it is struck by a BB.
The small hole is the side the projectile came from, and the large hole is
on the other side. This principle is used in percussion flaking to create
arrowheads and other tools by indigenous peoples. As a former user of a Red
Ryder BB gun, I know all about what BBs can do to glass, and how you get a
nice cone out of a bottle base.

A piece of gravel would have to be very small, and traveling at a high speed
to do this, and may not have the mass. A larger piece would leave a round
hole, like a bullet hole, unless it was safety glass, then it would shatter.

Interesting to find out the real cause.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
[...]

They definitely got the mass to do some damage. I watched some go up into a
roosting tree of great height. They took off without much of a run, and
shot up into the trees with a lot more ease than I thought they would have.

I remember the WKRP in Cincinnati episode, "As God is my witness, I thought
turkeys could fly". This after they tossed some domesticated turkeys out of
a helicopter.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:22:55 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Off hand, I don't think he could break the glass. His beak would be an
order of magnitude softer than glass and there is probably not enough
weight behind it. I'd set up a barrier to be on the safe side.

Or can you just tape paper or cardboard to the window at turkey eye
level so there is no reflection.

Those illegal signs stuck with wires into the ground would be useful
for this. I keep a supply of htem.

We've
got a squirrel trying to bust through our slider. Hard head makes a lot
of noise when he hits the glass.

I had a cardinal that would fly into the 2nd floor window 5 or 10
times, then go to the other side of hte house and do the same thing
there for a while. Many days, for several consecutive years. I just
realized that he hasn't done that this year. He's probabably in the
hospital with multiple concussions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:32:06 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

The birds are huge, and I do believe they could come through on a bird
strike. We live in the country, and have had some pretty hard strikes by
some large birds, and were just waiting for the sound of breaking glass.
They do leave an amusing feather dust print on the windows. Sometimes it
kills them.

You'd think evolution would have weeded them out millions of years
ago.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:59:23 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:37:22 -0800, Oren wrote:

pictures (cell phone quality) where an owl flew into a slider
(Andersen). When the bird hit the glass, it KNOCKED all the desert
dust off him. We could see the outline of it's feathers on the glass.

I found the pictures. What you see is DUST on the glass, not the
bird.

Owl dust on glass:

http://i41.tinypic.com/nbf69w.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/258477s.jpg

Best from the cell phone camera!

http://i41.tinypic.com/23lguqh.jpg

That's the dust from the wings! Pretty funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:

SNIP stuff on drunken and otherwise wayward birds to edit for space

I saw drunk honeybees iirc, if not that, birds, at Patrick Henry's
house near Richmond Va. Do honeybees ever get drunk?

I do know for sure that insects in general can get intoxicated by
alcohol, and yellow jackets can get outright noticeably drunk.

Furthermore, insects can absorb alcohol and most other common organic
solvents through their skin.

One fine day sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's, a yellow
jacket got into a discarded beer bottle that still had some beer in it.

The poor thing was barely moving, apparently nearly unconscious. I
poured the beer and the yellow jacket out. Apparently, the alcohol in the
yellow jacket was able to escape through its skin and evaporate - or maybe
there was some other reason why it was able to recover quite a bit in mere
minutes.
After just a minute or two, it was able to walk, at first stumbling in
random directions. A few minutes later, it was able to walk fairly
straight, and then it started flying. It flew somewhat erratically, and
bumped into a house a couple times before flying out of sight.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:06:52 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , mm wrote:

SNIP stuff on drunken and otherwise wayward birds to edit for space

I saw drunk honeybees iirc, if not that, birds, at Patrick Henry's
house near Richmond Va. Do honeybees ever get drunk?

I do know for sure that insects in general can get intoxicated by
alcohol, and yellow jackets can get outright noticeably drunk.

Thank you. Yes, that's it. I think they were yellow jackets. They
were among some fruit, not a kind popular with humans so it was all
lying there, under the tree, and they were staggering around. It was
amazing.

Furthermore, insects can absorb alcohol and most other common organic
solvents through their skin.

One fine day sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's, a yellow
jacket got into a discarded beer bottle that still had some beer in it.

The poor thing was barely moving, apparently nearly unconscious. I
poured the beer and the yellow jacket out. Apparently, the alcohol in the
yellow jacket was able to escape through its skin and evaporate - or maybe
there was some other reason why it was able to recover quite a bit in mere
minutes.
After just a minute or two, it was able to walk, at first stumbling in
random directions. A few minutes later, it was able to walk fairly
straight, and then it started flying. It flew somewhat erratically, and
bumped into a house a couple times before flying out of sight.

Hilarious. That'll teach him. I'll bet he got into more trouble when
he got home.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , mm wrote:

[...]

insects don't have skin, nor sweat pores. they have spiracles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiracle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 9:06*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 01:36:55 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Tony Hwang wrote:

I live near a provincial wilderness park and have to deal with wildlife
year round. I know deer can crash through patio glass door but never
heard birds *broke a glass pane. They will learn quick and won't waste
their energy.

Bull****. Last year, some little bird in the wren family showed up in our
front yard around the beginning of April, and began pecking at his reflection
in our bay window. PECK! PECK! ... .PECK! PECK! every minute or two, all day
long, from April to September.

Every April we'd have Cedar Waxwings pick all the cherries off our ornamental
cherry, get drunk, and repeatedly fly into our living room windows. *The
stupid birds would keep it up until the cherries were gone and then fly off
until the next April.

Drunk or sober...they're a striking bird!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/...14dbb032f8.jpg

bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
mm wrote:

Be glad you don't live in Africa in or near a wildlife area.

.. . . or worse, a casino in Las Vegas.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:35:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

Every April we'd have Cedar Waxwings pick all the cherries off our ornamental
cherry, get drunk, and repeatedly fly into our living room windows. *The
stupid birds would keep it up until the cherries were gone and then fly off
until the next April.

Drunk or sober...they're a striking bird!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/...14dbb032f8.jpg

bob

A beautiful bird. The first picture I've seen of one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Klipstein) wrote:

In article , mm wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'm sure the little woman at home tanned his hide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:24:23 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

mm wrote:

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:

I live near a provincial wilderness park and have to deal with wildlife
year round. I know deer can crash through patio glass door but never
heard birds broke a glass pane. They will learn quick and won't waste
their energy.
Bull****. Last year, some little bird in the wren family showed up in our
front yard around the beginning of April, and began pecking at his reflection
in our bay window. PECK! PECK! ... .PECK! PECK! every minute or two, all day
long, from April to September.
Every April we'd have Cedar Waxwings pick all the cherries off our ornamental
cherry, get drunk, and repeatedly fly into our living room windows. The
stupid birds would keep it up until the cherries were gone and then fly off
until the next April.
I don't think my cardinal was drunk, at least there were no berries
nearby, none that I knew of for blocks.

Be glad you don't live in Africa in or near a wildlife area. Drunk
large animals and primates can be entertaining but a lot of trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmQPwgV-WbQ

TDD

That looked like a drunk meerkat at :59. I never saw that on Meerkat
Manor.

I wonder when some of my ancient ancestors the Cavebillies first
discovered alcohol? I'll bet my Cavewop ancestors discovered
fermented drink first, they had to have something to go with the
pasta.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

There was an article in the Onion a few months back that was thanking
the millions of people who died chewing different types of bark until
they found the one that contained some drug (I forget which one).
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
There was an article in the Onion a few months back that was thanking
the millions of people who died chewing different types of bark until
they found the one that contained some drug (I forget which one).
.

a precursor for asprin. from willow bark.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:34:43 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
There was an article in the Onion a few months back that was thanking
the millions of people who died chewing different types of bark until
they found the one that contained some drug (I forget which one).
.

a precursor for asprin. from willow bark.

Right, thanks. Very funny article but it really makes you wonder how
folks figured out that chewing willow bark makes you feel better.

There was a beer commercial with a guy looking at a lobster saying
something like "now who's the first person who looked at that and
thought it might taste good".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

dgk wrote:
There was an article in the Onion a few months back that was thanking
the millions of people who died chewing different types of bark until
they found the one that contained some drug (I forget which one).
.

a precursor for asprin. from willow bark.

Someone who was in pain and willing to try anything to find
relief.

Right, thanks. Very funny article but it really makes you wonder how
folks figured out that chewing willow bark makes you feel better.

There was a beer commercial with a guy looking at a lobster saying
something like "now who's the first person who looked at that and
thought it might taste good".

Someone who was hungry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There was an article in the Onion a few months back that was thanking
the millions of people who died chewing different types of bark until
they found the one that contained some drug (I forget which one).
.
a precursor for asprin. from willow bark.

Hmm. Records and statistics were kept chronicling the millions of people
who died from ingesting tree bark, yet at the same time in history they did
not know about acetylsalicylic acid? It smells of Snopes to me. But then,
with the liberal mentality of today, it is easily believable for one to
conclude that statistics were discovered far before herbal remedies.

Steve