Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cone Shaped PVC Washer - Which Way Should it Face?

I've always been confused as to which way the cone-shaped plastic
washer should face when installing kitchen sink PVC tubing - there are
2 configurations - one is from nut + inside washer + thread and the
other is from nut + sliding washer on tube body + thread. Which way
should the tapered or pointed end face in either case? The first one
has a flange and the second one simply slides on the tube body. Do
they both face the same direction, and if so, which way, and if not,
which tapered end faces which way relative to the inside of the nut?
Thanks for a quick reply - the sink is leaking like crazy.

IB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Indio Bravo" wrote in message
[...]

The pointed end slides into the compression counterpart, squeezing
the washer as the nut it tightened. If you look closely, you'll
see that the inside of the fitting itself has a taper to it,
intended to squeeze the washer.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 11:53*am, "Nonny" wrote:
[...]

.

Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same
washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket.
It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of
the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the
compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and
not on the tapered side?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Indio Bravo wrote:

Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same
washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket.
It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of
the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the
compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and
not on the tapered side?

You talking waste or supply lines, here????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 12:07*pm, dpb wrote:
Indio Bravo wrote:

Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same
washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket.
It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of
the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the
compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and
not on the tapered side?

You talking waste or supply lines, here????

--

Kitchen sink and dishwasher drain going into the trap

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 12:12*pm, Indio Bravo wrote:
On Mar 28, 12:07*pm, dpb wrote:

Indio Bravo wrote:

Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same
washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket..
It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of
the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the
compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and
not on the tapered side?

You talking waste or supply lines, here????

--

Kitchen sink and dishwasher drain going into the trap

Let me clarify - the old washer was a rubber ring - I'm trying to
replace it with a tapered washer - am I doing it wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Mar 28, 12:07 pm, dpb wrote:

Indio Bravo wrote:
Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same
washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket.
It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of
the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the
compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and
not on the tapered side?
You talking waste or supply lines, here????
--

Kitchen sink and dishwasher drain going into the trap

Let me clarify - the old washer was a rubber ring - I'm trying to
replace it with a tapered washer - am I doing it wrong?

Yeah, you're using the wrong part. You need another like the original;
the cones are for compression fittings which those aren't.

Posted to alt.home.repair