Posted to alt.home.repair
L B L B is offline

Default Exterior Door is 3" too short -- solution?

Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 7:12*pm, L B wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

If you can do a lap joint or mortise and tenon to fasten the new
piece, you might be able to cover the seam on both sides by using a
brass plate on each side like a regular door has a kick plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"L B" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

3"??? Get a door that fits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:41*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"L B" wrote in message

Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

3"??? Get a door that fits.

If the door is 82" high, sounds like it is a custom made door because
most doors are 80" high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2010 4:12 PM L B spake thus:

I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

Whatcha need, good buddy, is one of them door-stretching machines.

Seriously, that's what I did with a customer's door installation. They
wanted a door that matched their other interior doors, and I found one
at the local recycled building materials place that was perfect in every
way except that it was a couple inches short.

Took it to a shop, in Berkeley, CA that grafted on a piece for a very
reasonable charge. They sanded and primed it, so it was paint-ready.

The same should work for an exterior door. Find a competent door and
window shop. They most likely would use a stronger joint for an exterior
door: tongue and groove or some such.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Worth a try. Hang the door, and then modify the top jamb so
that it fits.

What's wrong with the existing door?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"L B" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have
the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the
existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I
do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood
and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to
keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 12:12*am, L B wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

You can glue and screw two 1 1\2" pieces, one on each side of the
door, assuming it's a painted finish (remove existing paint etc.)..
You will also need separate little bits to glue into the old hinge
recesses and the mortice for the old lock. You need to use waterproof
glue and rust resistant screws. You need wood slightly over size and
when the glue has set, sand down with belt sander.
If it's a varnished finish, it is a lot trickier to find matching
timber. The other tricky bit is fitting the door into the aparture,
cutting the new hinge recesses and fitting the locks etc,.
That said, a straightforward job for the average DIYer. A couple of
days work. You will need help to lift the door it will be very heavy.
& probably new hinges & locks etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2010 8:41 AM harry spake thus:

On Mar 27, 12:12 am, L B wrote:

I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

You can glue and screw two 1 1\2" pieces, one on each side of the
door, assuming it's a painted finish (remove existing paint etc.)..

One on each *side* of the door, eh?

Did you even read the OP's post?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Then, he can have a door which is 3" too wide, in addition
to being 3" too short. Good one, harry!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 12:12 am, L B wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

s.com...

On Mar 27, 12:12 am, L B wrote:

I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

You can glue and screw two 1 1\2" pieces, one on each side of the
door, assuming it's a painted finish (remove existing paint etc.)..

One on each *side* of the door, eh?

Did you even read the OP's post?

- a Usenet "apology"

Is the door round? Rectangles have four "Sides". Everything else makes
sense unless the hinges and lock match up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then, the OP will have a modified door, 38 1/2" x 79",

to fit into the existing opening door is 35 1/2" x 82".

Might have to shave the door a bit, and glue some of the
shavings to the ends?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

You can glue and screw two 1 1\2" pieces, one on each
side of the
door, assuming it's a painted finish (remove existing
paint etc.)..

One on each *side* of the door, eh?

Did you even read the OP's post?

Is the door round? Rectangles have four "Sides".
Everything else makes
sense unless the hinges and lock match up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:12:07 -0700 (PDT), L B
wrote:

Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

You can buy a custom-sized exterior door. Adding onto the door is
probably a lot easier than resizing the door jam. A kickplate at the
bottom will cover most of it. How well it seals greatly depends on
the skill of the installer and nature of the weatherstripping.
Posted to alt.home.repair
L B L B is offline

wrote:

Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrancedoor. I have the
possibility of getting a useddoor, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
dooris 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacementdoor? And what do I do with the
extra3"? I was thinking of putting a3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new"doorframe--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

You can buy a custom-sized exteriordoor. *Adding onto thedooris
probably a lot easier than resizing thedoorjam. *A kickplate at the
bottom will cover most of it. * *How well it seals greatly depends on
the skill of the installer and nature of the weatherstripping.

Just briefly replying to all of your very helpful insights. First of
all, THANKS for sharing your ideas.
Second, I did learn from it and I will do this:
1. Buy the right wood block, depending on the kind of wood the new
door is made of, i.e., oak, etc.
2. Extend the bottom part of the rectangular door by adding the block
and measuring it for the right fit and try to create a gentle mortise
and tenon at two points.
3. Screw long, rust-proof nails through the block into the door and
also use wood adhesive along the edge to prevent air leaks.
4. Get two metal plates to be larger than the size of the wood
extension, about 1/8" thick or less to cover the wood block extension
and screw it onto both sides of the door, with plenty of adhesive to
prevent air and water leaks.
5. Cover the old hinge areas.
6. Create new holes for new locks and new hinge areas to correspond to
the existing frame.
7. Install!

Someone had asked what was wrong with the existing door: its weather-
worn and cracked. I also wanted a new look and figured a sanding and
painting of the current door would not do the job.

cheers and thanks again,
Vinit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:12*pm, L B wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

The door I had this type of experience with was made of pine with
Jalousy windows in in it for most of the full length. I squared up the
ends, likewise did the same to a couple of pieces of 2x4 and screwed
and glued the 2 x4 s to the ends of the door. Remove the screws before
you trim it to fit and replace them after you are finished. The repair
turned out to be almost invisible. If I had this to do over again I
would probably use dowls or biscuits to hold the 2x4s in place. At the
time I had to make do with what I had.

Jimmie