Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door is 3" too short -- solution?

On Mar 26, 7:12*pm, L B wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

If you can do a lap joint or mortise and tenon to fasten the new
piece, you might be able to cover the seam on both sides by using a
brass plate on each side like a regular door has a kick plate.