Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door is 3" too short -- solution?

On 3/27/2010 8:41 AM harry spake thus:

On Mar 27, 12:12 am, L B wrote:

I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

You can glue and screw two 1 1\2" pieces, one on each side of the
door, assuming it's a painted finish (remove existing paint etc.)..

One on each *side* of the door, eh?

Did you even read the OP's post?

- a Usenet "apology"