Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door is 3" too short -- solution?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:12:07 -0700 (PDT), L B
wrote:

Hi,
I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the
possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing
door is 35 1/2" x 82"!

Will I be able to fit this replacement door? And what do I do with the
extra 3"? I was thinking of putting a 3" bar of treated wood and then
capping it as the "new" door frame--will this suffice to keep out cold
air leaks?

thanks!
Vinit

You can buy a custom-sized exterior door. Adding onto the door is
probably a lot easier than resizing the door jam. A kickplate at the
bottom will cover most of it. How well it seals greatly depends on
the skill of the installer and nature of the weatherstripping.