Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally good solution of "how to store 625 tools for 12 years"

If you recall, I asked about storage options for my 625 Signode
banding cutters, which I am planning on selling over the next 12 years
(which is what once per week works out to).

Right now I have them in Walmart plastic totes, which do not inspire
confidence. There are puddles of water on top of covers, as soon as
they develop cracks, the water will be inside and thousands of $$ will
be ruined (the cutters sell for about $15 apiece).

Today, I bought a 24x24x48" Greenless steel "gang box" at a garage
sale. I am going to add casters to it.

I may add some very low power heating element to it as well (I have
some Raychem heating cable) to add extra heat. My guess is about 20
watts should accomplish a lot. Naturally, I will have desiccant packs
in the box as well.

This gang box is going to hold up to elements very well over the
years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:53:07 -0500, Ignoramus10724
wrote:

[...]

What if the gang wants it back?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It'll have so many banding cutters in it that they won't be able to lift it.
If Iggy straps is shut with banding, they won't be able to empty it because
all of the banding cutters are on the inside BG

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
[...]

This makes a lot more sense. If you can put some seals on the
thing to make it nearly hermetic, you can put a couple big
dessicant packs inside. Keep a couple weeks worth of the
cutters in the house, so you only need to open the big box once
every couple weeks. When you do, rotate the dessicant packs
with others you have been drying in your oven.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:16:23 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus10724 wrote:
[...]

Jon, I have finished my work on this box. I added casters to it, added
heating cable wiring (the cable is indeed self regulating and very
safe), with strain relief, etc. The box is now in its indended
location, suspended on cinderblocks to avoid deformation of the
casters.

My plan is to have both heating as well as desiccant packs, and I
think that adding seals is not necessary. I will indeed try not to
open the box too often.

I have not yet moved the tools into the box yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5826 wrote:

My plan is to have both heating as well as desiccant packs, and I
think that adding seals is not necessary. I will indeed try not to
open the box too often.

Is you box capable of staying water tight under a winter snow drift?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:15:56 -0400, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5826 wrote:

My plan is to have both heating as well as desiccant packs, and I
think that adding seals is not necessary. I will indeed try not to
open the box too often.

Is you box capable of staying water tight under a winter snow drift?

I think so. If you look at this pictu

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...b-Box-0004.jpg

you will see how the box goes up a little bit right inside the inner
surface of the cover (I hope I was clear enough), that should prevent
spray or drift from entering the box.

It is an honestly made box.