Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slightly OT - Makita gas chainsaws

Anyone know anything about these? I trust the Makita name, but don't know
if they know anything about gas engines. Or does somebody else make these
for them?

Any info is appreciated...

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
Anyone know anything about these? I trust the Makita name, but don't know
if they know anything about gas engines. Or does somebody else make these
for them?

Any info is appreciated...

Dave

Nevermind, I found some reviews on Amazon.com that I didn't see before, and
learned that someone else makes the chainsaws for Makita. Still need to
find out what happens if I run them on 40:1 gas/oil instead of the specified
50:1 mixture, but that's about it. Suspect I'll just get an extra gas can,
since they apparently need their own brand of oil and *nothing else* in the
gas. Either way, with time I'll figure it out. It just take some
research...

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:44�pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

netamerica...

Anyone know anything about these? �I trust the Makita name, but don't know
if they know anything about gas engines. �Or does somebody else make these
for them?

Any info is appreciated...

Dave

Nevermind, I found some reviews on Amazon.com that I didn't see before, and
learned that someone else makes the chainsaws for Makita. �Still need to
find out what happens if I run them on 40:1 gas/oil instead of the specified
50:1 mixture, but that's about it. �Suspect I'll just get an extra gas can,
since they apparently need their own brand of oil and *nothing else* in the
gas. �Either way, with time I'll figure it out. �It just take some
research...

Dave

Nothing will happen if you run 40:1 mixture. It may smoke a little
more, but no harm. 2 cycle engines are all the same. At worse you MAY
foul a plug or build up a little more carbon in the exhaust, but
nothing that will damage your engine. They use to run a 20:1 mixture
in the same motors years ago until the synthetic oils came out. They
all switched to the synthetics because of the fouling of plugs and
carbon buildup.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 4:44*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

netamerica...

Anyone know anything about these? *I trust the Makita name, but don't know
if they know anything about gas engines. *Or does somebody else make these
for them?

Any info is appreciated...

Dave

Nevermind, I found some reviews on Amazon.com that I didn't see before, and
learned that someone else makes the chainsaws for Makita. *Still need to
find out what happens if I run them on 40:1 gas/oil instead of the specified
50:1 mixture, but that's about it. *Suspect I'll just get an extra gas can,
since they apparently need their own brand of oil and *nothing else* in the
gas. *Either way, with time I'll figure it out. *It just take some
research...

Dave

Why not run 50-1? That is what all those little "one shot" 2 cycle
oil bottles are made for (either one or 2 gallon per). Of course if
you already have something that needs 40-1...

I would not run a richer mix myself. I have used chainsaws for over
30 years in cluding a couplel years back in the 50s. I don't like
breathing the smoky exhaust from 40-1 mixes anymore , plus the
modern saws are not engineered for it.

Makita may say only to use their brand but that is just hype.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
-snip-

Why not run 50-1? That is what all those little "one shot" 2 cycle
oil bottles are made for (either one or 2 gallon per).

Except the ones that are made for 40:1. .. or [presumably] something
else.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 11:29�am, Harry K wrote:

Why not run 50-1? �That is what all those little "one shot" 2 cycle
oil bottles are made for (either one or 2 gallon per). �Of course if
you already have something that needs 40-1...

I would not run a richer mix myself. �I have used chainsaws for over
30 years in cluding a couplel years back in the 50s. �I don't like
breathing the smoky exhaust from 40-1 mixes anymore , plus the
modern saws are not engineered for it.

Makita may say only to use their brand but that is just hype.

Harry K-

What's it gonna be? You believe todays engines are not made to run
40:1 or even 20:1, but you say only using their oil is hype. I think
its all hype, you can run anything from 20:1 with regular 10w30, to
100:1 with the right oils without any damage.

I guess we believe what we want to believe and the manufacturers
recommendations mean nothing.

Hank ~~~believes what he wants to believe too

Chainsaws Fastfwd Woodworking 21 March 23rd 08 11:16 PM
Chainsaws... Gordon Henderson UK diy 12 October 10th 06 09:14 AM
Who knows their chainsaws? ;-) T i m UK diy 7 April 4th 06 12:22 PM
Chainsaws Some Mistake I Think [email protected] UK diy 4 April 20th 05 02:02 PM
Electric Chainsaws Uno Hoo! UK diy 24 April 16th 05 12:41 AM