Uno Hoo!

Default Electric Chainsaws

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

Rob

Hi

Sounds as if you would be better hiring a petrol one. You would get
instruction and the safety gear included.

Rob

Uno Hoo!

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi

Sounds as if you would be better hiring a petrol one. You would get
instruction and the safety gear included.

Fair point. Any idea what a day's hire charge would be?

Kev

Kaiser

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi

Sounds as if you would be better hiring a petrol one. You would get
instruction and the safety gear included.

Fair point. Any idea what a day's hire charge would be?

Kev

They're around £30 per day for a 16" plus a deposit of £50 is usually
required. They will charge you for any protective gear on top of the hire
charge.

Or you can buy a cheap petrol chain saw for around £99 from some where like
B&Q, then sell it on eBay when you've finished.

There are some web sites that give you information on safety when using
chain saws, just do a google search.

tony sayer

In article , Uno Hoo!
writes

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi

Sounds as if you would be better hiring a petrol one. You would get
instruction and the safety gear included.

Fair point. Any idea what a day's hire charge would be?

Kev

£68 quid when I last had one in the Summer, weekend rate (Cambridge
area) that included some gear oil and all the protective gear which is
essential with one of those things!.

You will also need some boots a furry hat and a checked shirt and, tenth
MP3 down!....

http://www.mwscomp.com/sound.html...
--
Tony Sayer

David Lang

Hi Kev
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

I took down a much bigger silver birch last year. Used a sabre
/reciprocating saw on the branches & a chain saw on the main trunk.

Individual branches were more of a problem than the main trunk. You need to
think out safe access. I "V" notched them underneath about halfway through,
near the trunk, with a small cut on top.

Then I roped the far end & pulled till it snapped. Easier to control the
descent that way and it meant I was on terra firma at the time.

Dave

Capitol

My experience with these is quite good. I bought a Lidl bargain @ £50
IIRC--now cheaper perhaps. This has worked like a dream when I've used
it up to 6" dia branches. I would not hesitate to use it on bigger
pieces of wood. I would not expect it to cut through 18" in one pass.
I'd nibble away a bit, taking care to allow for falling tree trunks.
Tree surgeons always seem to take down big garden trees in stages
starting from the top, as this makes for pieces of wood you can handle.
They also rope the piece they're cutting off to provide some control.
The only problems I've found are that the chain loses tension whilst
operating and you need to stop frequently to re-adjust. Also keep the
oil level topped up. The on/off switch needs a lot of thumb pressure on
mine to keep the clutch engaged, can give a painfull thumb the next
day!. For occasional use, mine is very good and is still very sharp, as
I found out with a finger last week when I was oiling the chain, whilst
it was unplugged!

Regards
Capitol
Vortex

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

I used to have a McCulloch similar to this:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 080052

More than a match foy Leylandii, even large ones.

At that price why not just buy one and eBay it when you're finished. I'm
sure you'll save money over renting.

David

I bought a Black & Decker electric chainsaw and it was rubbish.

The chain blunted in no time flat and the chain bar was fastened to a
plastic housing, so that the heat from using the blunt blade
transferred via the screws to the plastic housing and softened the
fixing of the most crucial part of the machine.

I felt that it was outrageously dangerous and binned it.

I've since bought a Bosch one for about the same money and it's
massively better. The blade keeps sharp for ages and the chain bar is
fastened to a metal housing. It also has a much more sophisticated
chain tension adjustment.

The Natural Philosopher

Uno Hoo! wrote:

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

They are prertry good. A small chainsaw is seldom more than a couple of
BHP anyway, and 3KW is 4bhp.

They won't take down an oak, but I have done a big leylandi with a bow
saw...

Tony Williams

In article ,
Uno Hoo! wrote:
Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man
enough to take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would
be cheaper to buy myself an electric chainsaw and do the job
myself rather than pay tree surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk
is probably thicker than my waist!

I've taken down willows up to about that trunk diameter,
with most of the grot done with a 12" B&D and the final
cut with a bowsaw. A tree with a wide canopy is easier
though because it can be cut back to an unbalance, to
control the direction of fall.

Doesn't matter what saw you use, the real problems are
the dangers from the sheer weight of what is going to
fall and things like an unexpected spring-back as the
saw cuts through a branch under strain.

If you do go for employing a professional, check he
has insurance first.

--
Tony Williams.
googlebot

"dave" wrote in message
news
On 10 Apr 2005 14:51:29 -0700, wrote:

I bought a Black & Decker electric chainsaw and it was rubbish.

The chain blunted in no time flat and the chain bar was fastened to a
plastic housing, so that the heat from using the blunt blade
transferred via the screws to the plastic housing and softened the
fixing of the most crucial part of the machine.

I felt that it was outrageously dangerous and binned it.

I've since bought a Bosch one for about the same money and it's
massively better. The blade keeps sharp for ages and the chain bar is
fastened to a metal housing. It also has a much more sophisticated
chain tension adjustment.

I bought a Bosch one for about £60 last year to bring down an almost dead
Cherry
tree. Pretty hard wood that. The Bosch sank through it like butter!
Branches
about 10" thick no problem. I took a lot of care and roped the appropriate
bits.
As an earlier poster said, cut through enough until you can get on the
ground
and yank the rope to snap the cut. It's a lot easier to get out of the way
when
you're on the ground! btw Checkout the web for info. on "kickback" when
using
chainsaws. The Bosch has a fast switchoff safety feature - but I always
found
myself "being ready for it" just in case. With conifers I suggest being
*very*
careful that the end of the chain doesn't touch any of those floppy
branches -
in fact any part of anything. That kickback is very dangerous.

Having seen someones face after a chainsaw kicked back I can recommend the
wearing of all the safety gear. It only glanced off but he still lost an eye
and half his face, one of the few tools I will not use.

Uno Hoo! wrote:
Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

A bit after the original posting but I've used my B&D electric
chainsaw for doing exactly this.

However whether it's a good idea to *start* using a chainsaw for such
a job (from the safety point of view) is another matter. I'd used my
chainsaw for cutting logs etc. for a long time before I attempted to
fell a tree with it.

I expect the rest of the thread addresses these issues, I'll read
along.

--
Chris Green
Ian Stirling

Capitol wrote:
My experience with these is quite good. I bought a Lidl bargain @ ?50
IIRC--now cheaper perhaps. This has worked like a dream when I've used
it up to 6" dia branches. I would not hesitate to use it on bigger

A relative has used one of these to make a shed.
Took 6-18" sycamore logs, sliced them into 6" disks, to make the walls.
(8' cube shed).
Maybe 500 cuts in total?
(Then lime mortared together.)
Rick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:41:52 +0100, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

if you touch one single stone or nail with a chainsaw the blade is
dead, so check the new blade prices before you buy.

Rick

Uno Hoo!

"Vortex" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

I used to have a McCulloch similar to this:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 080052

More than a match foy Leylandii, even large ones.

At that price why not just buy one and eBay it when you're finished. I'm
sure you'll save money over renting.

That's exactly what I've done. Bought a 1800 watt 'own brand' from B & Q for
£54. It worked a treat - took the whole tree down this afternoon without
difficulty - the chain never jammed once - I was amazed at how it went
through even thick parts of the trunk like a hot knife through butter. Damn
sight cheaper than getting the tree surgeons in! I've now got a garden full
of logs and branches to get rid of though!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Kev

tony sayer

In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes
wrote:

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

if you touch one single stone or nail with a chainsaw the blade is
dead, so check the new blade prices before you buy.

Rick

Don't do what I did with one. Two old Leylandii right next to each
other. Happily going through one of them and all of a sudden like great
shower of sparks caused by an angle iron stake between them, presumably
put there when the trees were saplings for support and over them they
grew round it and hid the damn thing!....
--
Tony Sayer

Uno Hoo!

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes
wrote:

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

if you touch one single stone or nail with a chainsaw the blade is
dead, so check the new blade prices before you buy.

Rick

Don't do what I did with one. Two old Leylandii right next to each
other. Happily going through one of them and all of a sudden like great
shower of sparks caused by an angle iron stake between them, presumably
put there when the trees were saplings for support and over them they
grew round it and hid the damn thing!....

No, I didn't find any metal stakes - but I was devastated to find a pigeons'
nest and two eggs on my lawn after cutting the tree down. I feel awful!

Kev

tony sayer

In article , Uno Hoo!
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't, thats more of those pests eliminated

--
Tony Sayer

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:41:21 +0100, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

No, I didn't find any metal stakes - but I was devastated to find a pigeons'
nest and two eggs on my lawn after cutting the tree down. I feel awful!

Friend of mine felled some garden trees (might have been Leylandii)
and as they were falling a squirrel jumped out and went straight for
his head (in a bright orange hat).

At least it's not bats.
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Anyone any experience of using electric chainsaws? Are they man enough to
take down a 30' leylandii ? I've discovered it would be cheaper to buy
myself an electric chainsaw and do the job myself rather than pay tree
surgeons to come and do it for me!
The individual branches shouldn't be a problem but the main trunk is
probably thicker than my waist!

Kev

if you touch one single stone or nail with a chainsaw the blade is
dead, so check the new blade prices before you buy.

Not dead, but it does bugger em enough to need almost instant resharpening.
#

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

Uno Hoo! wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes

wrote:

[...]

I mowed over a partridge nest once.

Sickening.

Just stuck a rabbit the cats brought in doiwn a hole today.

Funny. I'll probably shoot it next week.

Kev

tom patton

I put a new chain£15 on my Husqvarna.My son fired it up and started sawing
up an elm lying on the ground- within minutes I saw sparks and blue smoke he
had cut into a fork full of muck and gravel-chain was ruined-heat treatment
on the cutters was gone.