Posted to alt.home.repair

Default on topic for a change - old Pella window problem.

A friend's house (about 50 years old) has what I believe are original
Pella windows that need a bit of sash work. The balance mechanisms are
aluminum or zinc and have a round hump profile - flat on both sides
and bulging out in the center. The sashes ride up and down on these
"humps" running in a channel or groove in both sides of the window. If
I remove the sash stops from the inside will the balances come out of
the jam with the sash?

Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance
connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?

I need to remove 8 lower sashes to correct the hieght of the sash to
compensate for a botched job of cladding the outer framing and sill so
the windows can be latched. The cladding was done by a contractor
several years ago. They were looking at getting the windows replaced
and asked my opinion - I looked at them and the sash etc is all in
good shape, just cannot go down far enough for the sash latches to
engage so I need to either cut down the top or the bottom of the
window so the sash-latches will line up again (roughly 1/4")
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

How about stripping the botched cladding off the outside, instead? Even
a good cladding job sometimes traps water against the sill and molding
and rots it out. Strip the cladding, stabilize any damage, and prime and
paint. I'd do that (on the sill, at least) before I started carving up
the sashes. Or maybe even use a straightedge and a sharp knife or
multi-tool to carve off the part of the cladding that is interfering,
and then just caulk that joint. (They ran the cladding into where the
window actually seats when closed ?!?!)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:18:33 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance
connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?

Good question.

Spring loaded and a helix shaped rod?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:24:09 -0400, aemeijers

[...]

Yes they did - and did a very professional job of it - EXCEPT they
forgot about the thickness of the cladding interfering with latching
the windows.

A very highly respected contractor - known for high quality work and
generally deserving - but he screwed up on this one - and the owner
(my friend in his mid-upper eighties) didn't catch on untill a couple
years later what the problem was.

The cladding isn't coming off - it's a mansard and that would be a
REAL job. Cutting out the cladding and caulking would make a water
trap that would get them right back to the problem that existed
before the cladding was done ( a couple sills were also replaced,
having been rotted away where water sat.) With no overhanging eaves,
the windows have little protection, and being a mansard they are set
back in with deep sills. It looks like everything will be fine if we
can get the windows to latch so they seal better.

I'd hate to see what kind of mess they;\'d end up with if one of the
big replacement window companied got their hands into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance
connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?

Good question.

Spring loaded and a helix shaped rod?

I suspect so, but was looking for someone who KNOWS Pella.
I've had some window experience - but not Pella specific.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Instead of throwing bandaids and money at 50 year old warped and rotted
windows perhaps it's time to replace them...There are others out there
besides the "big window replacement companies" who do that..Ask around..Word
of mouth is usually the best way to find a good contractor...Or do it
yourself , you said you have window experience...HTH..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, well, well - warped and rotted windows????
Not. They are in very good condition. As for window experience I
worked for 2 of the best replacement window contractors in the
Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge area of Ontario over a period of several
years. These windows are very salvageable and worth repairing.

Again, everyone is trying to tell me WHAT to do, not answering my
question of HOW to do it.

These windows are NOT going to be replaced. They ARE going to be
repaired. So stop wasting your keystrokes and bandwidth telling me to
replace the windows. Aint going to happen. Full stop.

ANyone out there have experience with the older style Pella windows
want to chip in with any information on what I should expect when I
pop the inner sash stops and try to remove the sash liner/balance
assemblies and lower sash?

I'll contact a knowlegeable window repair guy here in town when he
gets back to work next week (after March Break) and see what he has to
say. Just figured I'd see if anyone on-line had any experience ---
Seems not at this point.

Thanks anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 1:27*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Can you grab the springs with some sort of a small wire hook and pull
them down below the windows so they will grab? you would have to have
a small strong wire that could fit betwen the window and the frame
inside the track somehow, but it can be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Nope...I could see your point IF they were very old antique windows in an
old home but frigging with junk Pella windows isn't being done
much..Especially what you want to do..And you DID say a couple of rotted
ones were repaired...If you don't want feed back don't bother posting
questions...You tend to get all sorts of tips , some good , some not so good
but to get all ****y about it is being an ASS...I thought you WERE a
knowledgable window guy but go ask your more knowledgable window guy and
when he tells you to replace them you can get all ****y with him...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:59:09 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Mar 21, 1:27Â*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Â*Well, well, well - warped and rotted windows????
[...]

Looking at more and more information it appears they may NOT be Pella.
They are double pane, but not sealed units - and the removable pane is
on the OUTSIDE, where all the information I can find on Pella says the
removeable pane is on the INSIDE - so not sure WHAT brand they really
are - possibly Andersen or ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 21, 1:27 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

My 1966 ranch's original windows were Pella and the removable pane was
indeed on the inside as was the screen...They always had major condensation
in the winter making it nearly impossibe to see out of them and they were a
major PITA to clean...I replaced them...Best money I ever spent....I really
don't think they are Anderson either....Probably some off brand...Alot of
CHEAP houses were just thrown together after WW2 with the baby and building
boom...HTH...