Posted to alt.home.repair

Default on topic for a change - old Pella window problem.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:28:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
A friend's house (about 50 years old) has what I believe are original
Pella windows that need a bit of sash work. The balance mechanisms are
aluminum or zinc and have a round hump profile - flat on both sides
and bulging out in the center. The sashes ride up and down on these
"humps" running in a channel or groove in both sides of the window. If
I remove the sash stops from the inside will the balances come out of
the jam with the sash?

Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance
connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?

I need to remove 8 lower sashes to correct the hieght of the sash to
compensate for a botched job of cladding the outer framing and sill so
the windows can be latched. The cladding was done by a contractor
several years ago. They were looking at getting the windows replaced
and asked my opinion - I looked at them and the sash etc is all in
good shape, just cannot go down far enough for the sash latches to
engage so I need to either cut down the top or the bottom of the
window so the sash-latches will line up again (roughly 1/4")

Instead of throwing bandaids and money at 50 year old warped and rotted
windows perhaps it's time to replace them...There are others out there
besides the "big window replacement companies" who do that..Ask around..Word
of mouth is usually the best way to find a good contractor...Or do it
yourself , you said you have window experience...HTH..

Well, well, well - warped and rotted windows????
Not. They are in very good condition. As for window experience I
worked for 2 of the best replacement window contractors in the
Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge area of Ontario over a period of several
years. These windows are very salvageable and worth repairing.

Again, everyone is trying to tell me WHAT to do, not answering my
question of HOW to do it.

These windows are NOT going to be replaced. They ARE going to be
repaired. So stop wasting your keystrokes and bandwidth telling me to
replace the windows. Aint going to happen. Full stop.

ANyone out there have experience with the older style Pella windows
want to chip in with any information on what I should expect when I
pop the inner sash stops and try to remove the sash liner/balance
assemblies and lower sash?

I'll contact a knowlegeable window repair guy here in town when he
gets back to work next week (after March Break) and see what he has to
say. Just figured I'd see if anyone on-line had any experience ---
Seems not at this point.

Thanks anyway.