Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dremel / Mandrel question

hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

thanks,
marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should work, if slowly. A good Dremel is nameplate rated for
5,000 RPM or so. My good drill runs 2500 or so, and my good
cordless is 1300, or so, on high speed.

You can get a Dremel style rotary tool kit at Harbor Fright
for about $15.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"marco polo" wrote in message
hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in
my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after
that.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or
similar tool.

thanks,
marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for the feedback,

so the difference is the drill Speed...

I may end up buying a high speed drill , if need be,
but I thought I would try it without first,
since it's a once time use situation.

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 3:18*pm, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

thanks,
marc

If I had a dremel it would have been used once or twice in 30 years,
drills to me are the multi tool
Posted to alt.home.repair

marco polo wrote:
I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

Without knowing what the job is I couldn't be sure-- but I suspect the
drill won't spin fast enough to be worthwhile.

Fast 1/4" drill- 2-3K RPM
Cheap rotary tool 10-20K RPM
good rotary tool [$60 or so] 5-35K RPM

A drill is also a lot less 'agile' than a rotary tool. And if by
'wheel' you mean one of the many different cutoff wheels- you need to
have a steady hand to not just shatter them in seconds. Easier to
hold the rotary tool steady than a pistol-grip drill.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

You can get a Harbor Freight rotary tool for $30-- or a Dremel
mini-mite for about the same.

If it was me I'd spend the $60 or so for a decent size corded Dremel.
[and buy one that will take a flex-shaft. not all of them do] Trust
me, you may not use it often. . . but when you need it you'll pat
yourself on the back for buying it now.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 4:18*pm, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

thanks,
marc

That is always my first choice if it is practical even though I have a
Dremel and Roto tool. I always receive tools for gifts for some
reason. One of the things I do find really handy is a clamp that holds
my drill to the workbench. I mounted it on a board with a cleat I can
but in my vice.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

For me, Dremel was like internet. I resisted for a long
time. Now, I wonder what I ever did without it.

General Motors front brakes. Hex key won't work. Rusted out.
Vise grips don't supply enough torque. I took the cut off
wheel and dremel. Slotted and then angled the socket head of
the brake pin. Allowed me to heat and beat. Pound the edge
of the socket in a loosening direction. Not a common use,
but it worked well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
a dremel tool is one of those tools that maybe you will only
use a couple of
times a year, but when you do it will save you a ton of
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in
:

a dremel tool is one of those tools that maybe you will only use a
couple of times a year, but when you do it will save you a ton of
time.

"marco polo" wrote in message
.
..
hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my
standard drill.
I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

I thought I might try that first,
before buying another tool just for the mandrel.
If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

thanks,
marc

He could buy a Harbor Freight mini-grinder for his one-time task,they're
often on sale for a very low price.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik