Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie question about purchasing a Dremel for tinkering

Hello all, my first post here so be gentle..

I wanted to start a calm , relaxing and creative hobby... I am
currently a systems administrator have have been working to long in
this genre, but its my bread and butter....

I wanted to start tinkering with small wooden projects... my kids are
alway asking me to buy this and that, and most of it i say , jeeze if
i had time i would make ya one out of wood... so i want to start, i
figure starting off with a Dremel of sorts would be a good way to
start...

I have some construction experience, and i have some tools, standard
stuff, jig saw, circular saw, saber saw, hand saw, but no band saw :
( So i was wondering if someone here could recommend a Dremel model
or kit i can start off with... and a website or 2 of fun and useful
projects i can spend some quality time with myself creating....

I saw this at a Canadian tire store here in Canada, but not sure if
its right
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672871

My apologies if posting that link is not appropriate...
Thanks to all in advance... and have a great evening and upcoming
holiday season...

Rob..
Montreal , Canada

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rob wrote:
[...]

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...DUCT%3C%3Eprd_

id=845524443300799&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672871&bmUID=1197415585899&deptid=

1408474396672839&ctgrid=1408474396672841&subctgrid =1408474396672871

My apologies if posting that link is not appropriate...
Thanks to all in advance... and have a great evening and upcoming
holiday season...

Rob..
Montreal , Canada

Hello from the Gatineaus, Rob,

I'm not sure what kinds of projects you
have in mind, so recommending or not
recommending the Dremel is going to be
tough for us. The link is fine, BTW.

What you also haven't stated is how much
room you have to devote to a shop or
work area, so that will affect what
advice you'll get here.

However, having said that, there are
still a few things we can pipe up with,
and you'll get a bunch of different
points of view.

For what it's worth, I don't have a
house with a basement, and my shop is a
10'x10' garden shed that has an 8' roof.
So you don't need a lot of space.
(Remember I live in the Gatineaus, so
there are some nights my nads disappear)

You have a good, basic set of tools to
start out with, and maybe a bandsaw is a
good purchase. Some guys swear by them
over table saws. My first recommendation
would be the table saw. You don't need a
honking big saw for the types of things
you're doing; a benchtop saw would be
fine. That's all I have and it works ok.
I want better, and I'll get it, but to
start I think it's a good idea.

What I'd also push hard for is to get
out to a community college or High
School and get a few basic woodworking
courses. There are specialty schools out
there, but that's not what I'm talking
about. Just a bunch of guys getting
together every Tuesday night with a
decent instructor to learn some good
basics. Once learned, you'll never
unlearn them, and they'll give you a
bunch of confidence for later. The first
course I took was in a comm. college
that had a ton of power tools that we
never used once. We planed and chisled
our way through that course and it was
the best set of Saturday mornings I've
ever spent.

Good luck with it. You'll find a wealth
of information in this NG.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

its righthttp://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd...

My apologies if posting that link is not appropriate...
Thanks to all in advance... and have a great evening and upcoming
holiday season...

Rob..
Montreal , Canada

I don't know the current exchange rates but that seems a little high
for what is pictured. Shop around and check out the dremel website.

You may also want to consider the Rotozip, DeWalt, PC, etc. mini-
routers. They are probably a little big to do carving but they have
loads of accesories like the Dremel and collets can be had to use the
Dremel-size bits. I think you can find a fully-loaded Rotozip kit for
~$100 US. And according to the infomercials it is the only tool
you'll ever need.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob" wrote in message

I wanted to start tinkering with small wooden projects... my kids are
alway asking me to buy this and that, and most of it i say , jeeze if
i had time i would make ya one out of wood... so i want to start, i
figure starting off with a Dremel of sorts would be a good way to
start...

My wife and I were in a huge hobby shop today for the first time, the sort
of place that sells to folks who built models and miniatures, radio-control
enthusiasts, that sort. They had a section of amazing small-scale
tools--radial saws, drill presses, lathes--and of course lots of Dremel
gear. If you're thinking of tabletop-scale projects that might be a good
place to look as your existing tools might be a bit oversized for what it
sounds like you're interested in. Have fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob" wrote in message
Hello all, my first post here so be gentle..

I wanted to start a calm , relaxing and creative hobby... I am
currently a systems administrator have have been working to long in
this genre, but its my bread and butter....

I wanted to start tinkering with small wooden projects... my kids are
alway asking me to buy this and that, and most of it i say , jeeze if
i had time i would make ya one out of wood... so i want to start, i
figure starting off with a Dremel of sorts would be a good way to
start...

I have some construction experience, and i have some tools, standard
stuff, jig saw, circular saw, saber saw, hand saw, but no band saw :
( So i was wondering if someone here could recommend a Dremel model
or kit i can start off with... and a website or 2 of fun and useful
projects i can spend some quality time with myself creating....

R:

My personal experience for many applications favors flexshaft machines.
Foredom is a notable manufacture you can find information about on the web.
I've had and laid to rest more than one Foredom and would buy one again.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Dremel Model 395 which I like very much.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/ki...69724&KI=66977

With a flexshaft it is very versatile and all sorts of accessories are
available. The Dremel website has lots of info and would be a good place to
start.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wanted to start tinkering with small wooden projects... my kids are
alway asking me to buy this and that, and most of it i say , jeeze if
i had time i would make ya one out of wood... so i want to start, i
figure starting off with a Dremel of sorts would be a good way to
start...

Rob, Before I retired, I lived in a condo, limited space, and a
workbench and a Dremel, with a few hand tools was what I used. The
Dremel drill press converted the Dremel to a router table ! With a
chuck, I had a power drill, Used the sanding discs for everything. I
used a back saw for dovetails and all cutting, as well as an X-acto
saw for the fine stuff.

I was able to make a jewelry box for my daughter, with inlays, for a
Christmas present.

So, I think It's a great place to start. Later, as you go, you may
want to invest in more power tools as you gain experience, skills, and
interest. But a warning... it led me to fill a 4 car garage with
power tools after I retired. Now I can make HUGE piles of sawdust and
scrap lumber.

Regards,

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 6:28 pm, Rob wrote:
[...]

Not sure what your economics are but for what it is worth here is my
experience. I had a dremel I bought back in the mid '80s and it was a
great little tool. About a year ago it finally died and I started
hunting. I wound up buying the corded dremel kit (in a case with a
flex and several other attachments as well as two cases for bits). I
have regreted that purchase since. It is horribly underpowered, a
heavy grit sanding wheel can be completely stalled working some
maple. If I am using for more than a minute job it also gets quite
hot. They have just catered too much to the price point market. If I
had it to do over again I would look into something else like a
Foredom, maybe even a good used one off ebay. If you only use it
occasionally or $50-$60 is the top end of the budget then it is
probably the option for you. If you are going to use it for any
length of time at one sitting, save up and by a better unit.

Daryl